xp sp2 w32time problem

I routinely get this event log entry:

Source: W32Time
Type: Warning
Category: None
Event ID: 36
The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152
seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable
time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized. For more information, see
Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

and time is not in sync with my other systems (or my watch.) I have used
various time sources, but get this message with any of them. I can do "w32tm
/resync" successfully with any of them. I'm currently set to use
time.windows.com.
The time is not wildly off, it just increases a bit each day until its off
by a minute or so in a few days or a week.

I have read KB832936, which may or may not apply, and is supposed to have
been fixed in sp2. Most of the messages are logged over night when I am not
logged in. The system never goes into standby, but it is a notebook in a
docking station and turns off its disks after 20 minutes of no activity.

It is a standalone workstation, not in a domain, but in a workgroup with the
same name as my domain (it travels a lot.) It has sp2 plus all security
patches, a few other patches from windows update (root cert update, for
example), and no hotfixes from MS or the download site.

Anyone know what might be causing this before I call MS? Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about w32time problem

    =?Utf-8?B?Qm9zUmVn?= <BosReg@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >I routinely get this event log entry:

    >Source: W32Time
    >Type: Warning
    >Category: None
    >Event ID: 36
    >The time service has not been able to synchronize the system time for 49152
    >seconds because none of the time providers has been able to provide a usable
    >time stamp. The system clock is unsynchronized. For more information, see
    >Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    >and time is not in sync with my other systems (or my watch.) I have used
    >various time sources, but get this message with any of them. I can do "w32tm
    >/resync" successfully with any of them. I'm currently set to use
    >time.windows.com.
    >The time is not wildly off, it just increases a bit each day until its off
    >by a minute or so in a few days or a week.

    >I have read KB832936, which may or may not apply, and is supposed to have
    >been fixed in sp2. Most of the messages are logged over night when I am not
    >logged in. The system never goes into standby, but it is a notebook in a
    >docking station and turns off its disks after 20 minutes of no activity.

    >It is a standalone workstation, not in a domain, but in a workgroup with the
    >same name as my domain (it travels a lot.) It has sp2 plus all security
    >patches, a few other patches from windows update (root cert update, for
    >example), and no hotfixes from MS or the download site.

    >Anyone know what might be causing this before I call MS? Thanks.

    If you search old newsgroup postings you will find lots of people had
    that problem after SP2. I don't think anyone ever posted a definitive
    fix for this but there were the usual "try this" and "try that and
    see what happens." Appears to be a bug somewhere.

Windows XP