Laptop lid close killing my network connection

el_brio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
Hello,

I have a new Asus Zenbook UX32 and I have set power options to "do nothing" on laptop lid close. I also went into the hardware settings and made sure the network adapter and wireless adapter were set so that windows shouldn't cut them off to save power. I looked around the internet and it seems that a lot of people have this problem but I can't find a satisfactory solution. Thanks

el_brio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
When I close the lid, the screen is supposed to go off but everything else should keep working. This is mostly useful for downloading stuff. Close the lid (when plugged in) and your downloads will complete. The problem is, is when I close the lid, the network connection drops off. I don't know why this is happening... I would guess that the network card is somehow being put to sleep but I have no way of confirming this.

I can't be sure but there may be a setting in the bios for letting the network card or other parts hibernate or sleep when off to conserve power. The only other place for the power to be shut off or something to be put to sleep is in the power management of the power plans.

svnguyen99

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

I have the exact same problem as el_brio. I have a Toshiba Satellite S50-A and did the same steps he mentioned and still doesn't work. I use my laptop with an external keyboard and monitor so the laptop is usually just laying on my desk with the lid closed. What I can 100% verify is if thelid is open, WiFi works fine and I can connect to the internet. If I close the lid, sometimes the connection bar shows it's "Limited". When that happens it either takes forever to load a website or not at all.

Then I open the lid again and it wifi works fine. What I suspect is that it has nothing to do with those settings as closing the lid is set to "Do nothing". There is probably some antenna in the lid that doesn't work correctly when it's in the closed position. Looks like the open way to make this work is to keep the lid open.

bhushan sampat

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
Hello,
Go to control panel --> network and sharing --> change adapter settings --> right click on connected wifi network ---> properties --> configure --> power management --> untick allow computer to turn off this device to save power

This worked for me :) now i can use my laptop's wifi whn connectes to LED with closed lid.

tammar

Reputable
Mar 30, 2015

Thanks, it worked with me too :)

Thommo17

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I have had this problem on a Dell E7440 with the 7260 Wifi

I fixed it by updating the BIOS to the newest version

Tried everything before that with power options and installing new wifi drivers and Intel proset wifi but nothing worked

TRENDING THREADS