Sign in with
Your question

How do I clean thermal material off my CPU/fan?

Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2003 4:13:04 AM

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the correct solution I can use to clean the top of my CPU and heatsink? I have an AMD processor and I went to the AMD website and it said to use alcohol to clean it off. I'm guessing that rubbing alcohol is what they're talking about. I just have a question about using rubbing alcohol to clean it off. Isn't that flammable? or doesn't that matter because I have to put thermal paste over the CPU die anyways?

Hope someone can help me

Thanks in advance
June 29, 2003 4:16:25 AM

Yeah its flammable, but it evaporates VERY quickly so there shouldnt be a prob, if theres any spillage just wipe it off
June 29, 2003 5:21:44 AM

Make sure you get 100% isoprpyl(rubbing) alcohol, not the 70% you can get. Oh you can also use acetone(nail polish remover).

--------
The only thing that i truly know...

is that i know nothing at all.
Related resources
June 29, 2003 5:23:35 AM

Oh forgot to mention that the cheapest and best solution is just to lick it off. It cleans it very well and is actually great tasting too.

--------
The only thing that i truly know...

is that i know nothing at all.
June 29, 2003 5:43:35 AM

why don't you go to the local pharmacy and ask for that damn thing which had some 98% alcohol. ( I forgot what I used when I threw the bundled cooler came with athlon and installed the Dr THERMAL EXTREME. (No actually I tried something in between these two)) U get a big bottle for a couple of bucks. use that thing and wait till it evaporates.
June 29, 2003 11:43:33 AM

there is an automotive product called HEET, you can find it in most stores. High in alcohol but dont drink it. Or you can buy Everclear, it will clean it and you can drink it.

Pris

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
!