sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Yeah it's sad how AMD has behaved lately. If only they even could remove that stupid rating system on the A64, they'd be in a much better light, at least in my mind ;)

My system: Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW

eden

Champion
Worse is that the memory controller cannot account for all-performance increases. Some apps may not benefit at all and behave like it was a 2GHZ Barton or even Tbred, and this will really be bad.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

pitsi

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2003
I suggest to be patient until A64 is released. Nobody really knows yet what are the true possibilities of this processor. We all know that frequency is not everything, of course whether it will stand up to its PR rating is a whole other issue. And you better all hope that it's going to be a success !!!

sirak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
I'm just kinda curious as to what the price will be. I'm dying to build a new pc, but I want to hold out until the new processors are released this fall. Right now I'm stuck with a PIV 1.3ghz, 256mb RDRAM, and a GF3 Ti200 64mb =\ I bought the PIV soon after it was released and want to do the same with the next generation so it'll last a few years.

eden

Champion
Don't do that anymore man, your P4 1.3GHZ was a huge bad move. It is arguably the worst conceived processor. Performing around an 800MHZ Pentium III, and worse than a 1GHZ Tbird, this thing was really sold for those who had little idea back then what they were buying.

Again, DO NOT buy the new stuff so quickly.

--
If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
IMO, everybobdy should wait at least 1 month before buying a completely new stuff. If it has any weak sides, compatibility issue- most of them get revealed within 1 month.

Personally, I will wait ~ 1 to 2 year before buying a K8 CPU.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

eden

Champion
Not just that, the P4s early on were just something to avoid COMPLETELY. Owning one was just for brags really, they couldn't even surpass the Athlons in Lightwave, their strongest application!

--

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
See I was planning to buy myself a dualie K8 system at the end of the year. However, with amd pulling this junk, I;m not too sure. The only thing that it could be of vastly more use than the intel procs is its fpu for my quantum stuff. Aside from that, phooooiy!

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

Harris1111

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Itanium 2 Madison...
LOL funny how you didnt list the prices betweent the 2.

I will say this again:

The XP Pr rating is based against a <b>THUNDERBIRD</b> of the same speed...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Harris1111 on 07/01/03 02:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Yeah, it sure took Intel some time to get the P4 right. The first time they could beat the T-bird 1.4 was with the P4 2.0. However at that time, it was still far more expensive, I think it was like $600 vs. $140. But then with Northwood, Intel started to have comparable price/performance. And now they are on par with AMD, slightly worse or better ;) Things can surely change...

My system: Intel Pentium 4 2.8, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
The only thing that it could be of vastly more use than the intel procs is its fpu for my quantum stuff.
Not really... if you used an Intel compiler and enabled SSE2, the P4's floating point performance goes up considerably. That's why (aside from HT) P4s are terrific renderers now.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
LOL funny how you didnt list the prices betweent the 2.
Yes, there's a difference, but with Deerfield it's not that absurd. Still different, though. An 1.8Ghz 244 Opteron will cost you something in the range of $800±50, and a 1.3Ghz Itanium will cost $1200 and will most likely be considerably faster than that Opteron in FP. Of course, a whopping $4000 for the 1.5Ghz Itanium doesn't look good at all... But the point is, Itanium in itself is a floating point king, that's all. The 1.0Ghz Itanium was already impressive in FP.

But anyway, the price of a 1.4Ghz Opteron is actually the most enticing one... I think that would be an excellent alternative, given Opteron's strengths. But if you had more money, you <i>might consider</i> Itanium now for the workstation segment, that's all.

<b><i>Update:</b> Opteron 246 is supposed to cost about $2100 (BTW, it should unofficially be launched next week!), which is exactly the price range of the new Madison 1.4Ghz, which should have considerably stronger floating point performance. So it would seem that, although Opteron is obviously the choice for lower-end servers, which should also come more in contact with 32-bit software, the Itanium is a better alternative on high-end server processors... Also remember that the 1.4Ghz Madison can be used in 4-way systems, whereas with Opteron, you'd need the more expensive 846.

More info: Opteron 844 costs $2150. That is the same figure for a 1.4Ghz Itanium, too.
</i>

eden

Champion
Don't waste your time educating that troll Haris. He's insulted enough of us and I am starting to wish he goes on so I can get Fredi to ban him already. Should've seen him in the OTHER forum.

--
I am my own competition. -VJK

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I will say this again:

The XP Pr rating is based against a THUNDERBIRD of the same speed...
Then explain the AXP1500+.

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
I THINK what he means is that the 1.4GHz Athlon Thunderbird outperforms the AXP 1500+ in a crapload of benchmarks (not SSE optimized ones though). I could be totally wrong though :smile: . So feel free to pick out any reviews that will make me look like an idiot :smile: . But that could be what he meant.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
That is what I meant, markgun. Well, mostly. **ROFL**

I mean hell, even <i>that</i> is a 1.4 vs. a supposed 1.5, so the 1.4 <i>should</i> get its arse kicked across the board. The AXP1500's 1.33GHz is just way to low to make it worthy of comparison to a 1.5GHz T-Bird. An actual 1.5GHz T-Bird would have <i>smeared</i> the AXP1500+.

And if AMD's rating system started out this skewed, how can we possibly consider what they say as truth?

"<i>Yeah, if you treat them like equals, it'll only encourage them to think they <b>ARE</b> your equals.</i>" - Thief from <A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=030603" target="_new">8-Bit Theater</A>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
IMO, AMD PR was correct till Northwood 2.8 GHz vs. T-bred 2800+. With Barton, AMD reduced performance/PR and Intel increaded performance/MHz with Northwood "C"

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>