Slow Motion Aero Transitions

moosa17

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hey Tom's, every time I boot my PC now, Windows' visual transitions (screen fades, maximizing/minimizing, opening/closing windows, etc) go at like 1/4 speed. It's annoying and slows things down (everything else is fine though). "Restarting" from the start menu fixes it, but shutting down and booting up again does not.

I know I can just shut them off. But this is a recent build and this is stupid and I want to know what's wrong. Any ideas?

Same problem posted about here over 3 years ago:
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/5946-odd-slow-motion-animation-effect.html

I'm pretty baffled. This seemed to start happening out of nowhere.

Solution
Hi everyone!

I had the same Problem and found a solution (that worked for me) on youtube:
"for what its worth I found the solution (for me anyways) search "cmd" -> right click + run as administrator type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" and press enter. (w/o quotation marks) Restart computer and your problems should be fixed!"

Here ist the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8_rDTHN7U

After this command it did not come back again...

moosa17

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks for the reply. My memory (8GB) is at less than 60% right now with tons of tabs open in Chrome and running Minecraft. Hard Drive at less than 50% full. Everything seems to run perfectly fine except the Aero transitions being slow (which is immediately apparent on boot). Also after I "restart" the problem goes away entirely and everything is running perfectly. The problem arises only after shutting down and then booting again. So I have doubts about it being a hardware failure.

The Aero effects use a lot of memory to operate so that was my first thought and when there are any types of issues like an error message that say system memory is low, the Aero effects are terminated to free up system memory. So with the Aero running slow it makes me wonder.
The next time they are in the slow motion open up the task manager and go to the Performance tab and the open the resource manager and see what the ,e,ory usage is and the cpu usage is.

bkelly1984

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I just experienced a problem very similar to this. Windows 7 fade effects were suddenly going very slowly -- for example the fade-to-black and desktop fade-in on login that usually takes a couple tenths of a second was taking ten. The shutdown menu that lists restart and sleep was taking three or four seconds to fade in. Games were slow or unplayable.

I discovered my problem to be a Logitech F310 Gamepad I had plugged into a USB hub attached to the computer. The unit must have been acting up and constantly demanding my computer's attention. These interrupts pull the machine away from rendering the graphic effects causing them to go slow.

While troubleshooting, I discovered the BIOS was not immune to this slowdown. The computer took several times longer to get through each of the boot screens. The BIOS menus were painfully slow, taking several seconds to register each keystroke. If you experience a similar problem, seeing if the performance problem exists in the BIOS menu could be a good test to see if it is this kind of hardware problem.

Good luck with your own performance issue!

Reactions: dazed_00

moosa17

Honorable
Mar 16, 2012
Hey, thanks for contributing. This problem is indeed still happening for me, almost a year later now. Unfortunately it's difficult to test things because it happens so intermittently, never consistently. In fact for quite a while it just seemingly more or less went away. And then it would just randomly show up again. And this week it's been happening almost every day. It's seemingly quite random.

The only thing I've changed recently with regards to the hardware is adding a USB bluetooth dongle, but the problem has existed long before that. Currently I have connected to my computer via USB my mouse and keyboard, an external HDD, a WiFi dongle, a bluetooth dongle, and a gaming headset (which only uses USB to draw power). I also have an audio interface connected via Firewire. I never add or remove things so clearly nothing is consistently causing the slow Aero effects. That's the odd part. I am using a Logitech gaming mouse though if Logitech's software could possibly have anything to do with it.

Sean Huhges

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Hello, I'm having the same problem and I couldn't help noticing you mentioned that you have a few USB dongles plugged in. I'm pretty sure it started happening for me around the time I started using an Alcatel 4G USB Dongle from EE.

As the problem happens intermittently as you said, I haven't been able to test whether that is the source of the problem as it would involve removing the dongle for an extended period of time, and I am currently quite reliant on it. However, I am planning on hooking up my house with internet in the coming weeks and I will therefore no longer need to use the dongle. I'll post any results I find on here.

peacekeeper

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
Same here. It happens some time. not so often. Question is i have more than enough memory and hard drive space. My rig. Asus Maximus 5 extreme, i7 377k, two Asus GTX 680 DC2(SLI) 32 Gb RAM( kingston hyperx beast 2400Hz). Now surely its not a memory problem. I check all the 4 8Gb memory sticks separately. All working fine. Any help much appreciated.

gundamn

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
Hello. I have the same problem and my fix was unplugging my logitech controllers. My bet is everyone's problem is USB related and is not a memory issue. Try unplugging all non-essential USB devices and restarting your computer and hopefully the problem goes away. After booting into Windows, I was able to plug my USB devices back in with no trouble.

I then tried this fix and I haven't had a problem since (although it seems like the problem doesn't occur consistently for most of us so I'm not sure if this fix really solved the problem or not)

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/165554-usb-driver-general-fix-problems.html

gouz

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Im too having this AERO SlowMotion problem (always have to restart for that to stop) and i also noticed Logitech name being mentioned a few times. I have installed latest drivers of Logitech gaming mouse G300... how about that? So my guess..
1) it has to do something with some Logitech devices drivers.. or
2) it has to do something with generally some USB Devices drivers (such as mice/pads/Steering wheel).. or
3) it has to do something with the Windows USB port drivers themselves

If only someone could profile a boot and debug which service is running crazy

TexasTubbs

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Gouz,

I have this problem today after a corporate windows 7 update. Check to see if you had a patch or something installed recently. This may be related.

TexasTubbs

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I solved my issue by running CCleaner to clear up any registry issues left behind by the update, and then did a restart - NOT a cold boot. Aero transitions are now normal speed.

Fritley

Reputable
May 20, 2014

I also had this problem, and it was logitech driver related. Once I installed the Logitech drivers, it worked fine.

Joe-91

Reputable
Aug 30, 2014
Hi everyone!

I had the same Problem and found a solution (that worked for me) on youtube:
"for what its worth I found the solution (for me anyways) search "cmd" -> right click + run as administrator type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" and press enter. (w/o quotation marks) Restart computer and your problems should be fixed!"

Here ist the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM8_rDTHN7U

After this command it did not come back again...

Solution

yaser17

Reputable
Sep 11, 2014
Go to Control Panel --> System --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced Tab --> Settings (under Performance) --> Uncheck all options that have the word "Fade Out" --> Click Apply

This should resolve the Fade Out issue if your graphics card is working properly

Mag_nus

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
This one worked perfectly for me, the problem seemed to be the different clocks in the computer. Here is the solution i used.
search "cmd" -> right click + run as administrator
type "bcdedit /set useplatformclock true" and press enter. (w/o quotation marks)
Restart computer and your problems should be fixed!

sad264

Reputable
Nov 26, 2014

it worked, Thanks a lot,, keep up the good work .....

ccwii

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014

This worked like a charm, thank you so much for posting this.

NancyC

Reputable
May 24, 2015

Brilliant, yaser17! I did this and everything is perfect again. Thank you! P.S. It started after a Windows update, and unplugging my usb peripherals did not work. Also, the repair did not show until I restarted. Thank you again!!

Yuuki_Bruh

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015

This isn't a USB problem,you can change how fast is your windows running in the options. I set mine to 10 and now everything is in slow motion. I just dont know what it is....

Yuuki_Bruh

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
This isnt a USB problem. Well ,it seems like it is for most people. But I remember setting something in the options and now it's running in slow motion. I have no idea where to find it now...

MaxMarchuk

Reputable
Nov 22, 2015

I am having the same issues as you and I just noticed, I have the exact same game pad, and it's been really weird lately. I'm going to unplug it and restart my PC. Thanks so much!

Apr 13, 2020
JUST TRY THIS TRUST ME: I just had this problem and found it was an issue via USB. Unplug non essential USB. Restart computer and try each usb out to find the problem. As soon as you unplug power will come back straight away.