Windows Explore & thumbnails

August 20, 2005 7:55:42 PM

I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to make
Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing via
thumbnails?

Jack
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:55:43 PM

Windows Explorer doesn't care which view is shown, files are listed by name.

Apparently you aren't changing the file name or saving the changed file
name.

To change the name of a file or folder

To rename a series of files

HOW TO: Rename Multiple Files in Windows XP with Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320167

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eAf1PEcpFHA.3256@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Jack <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> hunted and pecked:
> I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
> However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
> pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to
> make Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing
> via thumbnails?
>
> Jack
August 20, 2005 7:55:43 PM

The thumbnails are stored in the file thumbs.db. Delete it and Windows will
re-create it next time you go to that folder; now with the changes.

"Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
> However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
> pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to
> make
> Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing via
> thumbnails?
>
> Jack

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 20, 2005 11:26:14 PM

You'd think so, but it doesn't make any difference -- in my case anyway.

The strange thing is that some image edits will be reflected in the
thumbnails but others just refuse to do that no matter what kind of image
editing is done!

Jack

news:o 1gfa7cpFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
The thumbnails are stored in the file thumbs.db. Delete it and Windows will
re-create it next time you go to that folder; now with the changes.

"Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
> However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
> pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to
> make
> Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing via
> thumbnails?
>
> Jack

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:56:36 PM

Make sure that the renamed files have been saved with the correct file
extension. You may not have an extension associated with the file at all. It
should be the same extension as the original file, unless you purposely
chose to convert say a bitmap file to a .jpg file.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o ID235dpFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You'd think so, but it doesn't make any difference -- in my case anyway.
>
> The strange thing is that some image edits will be reflected in the
> thumbnails but others just refuse to do that no matter what kind of image
> editing is done!
>
> Jack
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> news:o 1gfa7cpFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The thumbnails are stored in the file thumbs.db. Delete it and Windows
> will
> re-create it next time you go to that folder; now with the changes.
>
> "Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
>> However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
>> pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to
>> make
>> Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing via
>> thumbnails?
>>
>> Jack

August 21, 2005 12:14:42 AM

Yes, they all are .jpg files. There are some I can edit, give another name,
save in a different folder, and the thumbnail still looks like the
original!!!

Jack

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Make sure that the renamed files have been saved with the correct file
extension. You may not have an extension associated with the file at all. It
should be the same extension as the original file, unless you purposely
chose to convert say a bitmap file to a .jpg file.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:o ID235dpFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You'd think so, but it doesn't make any difference -- in my case anyway.
>
> The strange thing is that some image edits will be reflected in the
> thumbnails but others just refuse to do that no matter what kind of image
> editing is done!
>
> Jack
>

> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
> news:o 1gfa7cpFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> The thumbnails are stored in the file thumbs.db. Delete it and Windows
> will
> re-create it next time you go to that folder; now with the changes.
>
> "Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
>> However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
>> pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to
>> make
>> Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing via
>> thumbnails?
>>
>> Jack

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:14:43 AM

What program are you using to edit the *.jpg files?

Use Save As to save the edited version and use a different name.

After you edit a *.jpg double click the thumbnail to open the file. Does
the edited version look any different?

If the folder is open while you are editing, hit F5 to refresh the view.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e2TZ5UepFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Jack <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> hunted and pecked:
> Yes, they all are .jpg files. There are some I can edit, give another
> name, save in a different folder, and the thumbnail still looks like the
> original!!!
>
> Jack
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:#u7$tKepFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Make sure that the renamed files have been saved with the correct file
> extension. You may not have an extension associated with the file at all.
> It should be the same extension as the original file, unless you purposely
> chose to convert say a bitmap file to a .jpg file.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o ID235dpFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> You'd think so, but it doesn't make any difference -- in my case anyway.
>>
>> The strange thing is that some image edits will be reflected in the
>> thumbnails but others just refuse to do that no matter what kind of image
>> editing is done!
>>
>> Jack
>>

>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 1gfa7cpFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> The thumbnails are stored in the file thumbs.db. Delete it and Windows
>> will
>> re-create it next time you go to that folder; now with the changes.
>>
>> "Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
>>> However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
>>> pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to
>>> make
>>> Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing via
>>> thumbnails?
>>>
>>> Jack
August 22, 2005 4:51:27 AM

Wes --

I am using PhotoImpact 7.0; and BTW, on a Win XP2 machine.

>Use Save As to save the edited version and use a different name<
Did that, but that didn't make the thumbnail reflect the edit.

>After you edit a *.jpg double click the thumbnail to open the file. Does
the edited version look any different?<
Yes, it looks edited.

>hit F5 to refresh the view<
Nope -- no change in thumbnail -- weird!?

Jack

What program are you using to edit the *.jpg files?

Use Save As to save the edited version and use a different name.

After you edit a *.jpg double click the thumbnail to open the file. Does
the edited version look any different?

If the folder is open while you are editing, hit F5 to refresh the view.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:e2TZ5UepFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Jack <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> hunted and pecked:
> Yes, they all are .jpg files. There are some I can edit, give another
> name, save in a different folder, and the thumbnail still looks like the
> original!!!
>
> Jack
>

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:#u7$tKepFHA.1044@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Make sure that the renamed files have been saved with the correct file
> extension. You may not have an extension associated with the file at all.
> It should be the same extension as the original file, unless you purposely
> chose to convert say a bitmap file to a .jpg file.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> news:o ID235dpFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> You'd think so, but it doesn't make any difference -- in my case anyway.
>>
>> The strange thing is that some image edits will be reflected in the
>> thumbnails but others just refuse to do that no matter what kind of image
>> editing is done!
>>
>> Jack
>>

>> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 1gfa7cpFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> The thumbnails are stored in the file thumbs.db. Delete it and Windows
>> will
>> re-create it next time you go to that folder; now with the changes.
>>
>> "Jack" <jslimp01nospam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> I image edited some photos and gave them a slightly different file name.
>>> However, in Windows Explore, when viewing the thumbnails, those edited
>>> pictures show up as if they weren't edited. Why? Is there any way to
>>> make
>>> Windows Explore show the edited version of the photos when viewing via
>>> thumbnails?
>>>
>>> Jack
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:27:46 PM

Jack,

I know nothing about PhotoImpact 7.0.

Try this, it can't hurt.
Paste the following in the Start | Run box:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Click OK.

With most programs for Windows, if you Save; File | Save or Ctrl + S, the
file is saved with whatever changes you've made, the name stays the same.
If the file is new, you will get a Save As dialog box prompting you for a
file name and location. If you make changes to the file and close the
program without Saving, you will get a prompt such as, Save changes to
filename.jpg?

With most programs for Windows, if you Save As, File | Save As, the file is
saved with whatever changes you've made or haven't made and a Save As dialog
box opens allowing you to type a new name. The old name is highlighted in
the File Name box. If you do not select a new name, you get an error
message:
---------------------------
Save As
---------------------------
Path to file/Filename Cannot locate Filename already exists.
Do you want to replace it?
---------------------------
Yes No
---------------------------

Save As allows you to save a copy of a file under a different name,
different format or in a different location. If the file was previously
saved with a different name or format, that version will remain unchanged.

Ulead System Support Center - PhotoImpact Support Info
http://www.ulead.com/tech/pi/pi.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes