Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to tell if CPU is dead?

Last response: in CPUs
June 29, 2003 12:47:57 PM

This is my first home-built computer. HELP!

After reading all the instructions carefully, I installed the CPU (Athlon XP 1800 retail with approved heatsink.) and RAM and installed the Ep-8rda+ motherboard into the Antec 300w box.

I installed the CPU and the heatsink. (I did not use any thermal grease/paste since the instructions stated that none was needed. It came with paste --gray pad-- already applied to the base of the heatsink.)

When I installed the CPU I was a little concerned, because:

(a) I had to apply relatively modest preassure; --I've read that tremendous pressure is needed for AMD heatsink installations--
(b) the heatsink did not seem to be parallel to the base; it appeared --maybe it was my immagination-- to be leaning slightly forward.

(2) How can one know that the clip preassure is direcly over the die? (I find it had to see the clip & die ideal preassure point.)

I installed my graphics card and turned on the computer. There was an alert on the screen: "Warning: Your CPU size has changed." The post code was "7F".

The third time I rebooted the monitor was blank. (I checked the monitor on my other computer and it was ok.) The post code was a "reserved" code... I think "26". Note: I also noticed a slight arcing at the plug when I plugged the power cord in back in to the outlet on the third try. Possible short somewhere?

I rebooted again. No arcing.

I pulled the CPU; it looks ok.

The motherboard fan --Power source fan and cpu fan are working ok.

How can I tell if the CPU is dead?
How can I tell if the motherboard is working ok?

Thanks!

More about : cpu dead

June 29, 2003 3:07:31 PM

A dead CPU won't be warm to the touch after running for minute or so without HSF.
June 29, 2003 5:04:53 PM

Try to reset CMOS. I've seen mostly mobos are defective rather than CPUs, and <b>never</b> boot your comp <b>without</b> HSF installed on your CPU. It'd definitely cause CPU dead for sure.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.
Related resources
June 29, 2003 5:16:52 PM

yes it will. i have had a cpu go bad and still burn my finger after 1 second being on. with my hand ready to pull the plug as soon as i felt the heat mind you. i dont know if your the same guy that recomended running your computer without a hsf for "a minute or so" in another thread a while ago. but if you are, stop spreading such foolish ideas.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
June 29, 2003 8:57:59 PM

On a dead cpu, (mine at least), when I turned the computer on, only the cooling fan was running.
June 29, 2003 11:52:35 PM

Even if the cpu is dead and you are stupid enough to run it w/o a heatsink it may still get hot if their is an internal short and with millions of transistors that is a viable reason why it would die. People must remember that these newer processors are not pentium II's! They have much more heat to disipate.

Hasn't anyone seen the thg videos...it only took a few
seconds and then poof

I second clearing the cmos...if that doesnt help most likely it is the board.
June 30, 2003 12:07:37 PM

Thanks to all that replied.

I did of course run the HSF. What does it mean that the monitor is not showing anything? It appears some of you think that it could be that the bios needs to be flashed. Would it show something even if I have the old bios?
Thanks.
July 1, 2003 11:32:29 AM

That's basically what's happening to my computer. The only thing running is the processor fan. I'll return the cpu. Thanks
July 1, 2003 12:40:15 PM

No not flashing the bios but clearing it...i dunno if thats what you ment by flashing, but most of the time flashing refers to updating the bios...
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2003 10:42:23 PM

If the CPU cooler looked tilted, it was probably on backwards. As in, there's a step on most coolers to clear the clip side of the socket, if you install the cooler with that step on the other side, the clip portion of the socket will hold the cooler up off the CPU die at an angle, so only the edge touches. This will usually spell quick death for the CPU.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>
July 2, 2003 12:12:41 AM

If you are getting post codes most likely your CPU is ok. (think about it if you are getting a post code it is the cpu that generated that code) I just burned a CPU yesterday and 1) I got no post codes, no beeps 2) The monitor kind of flashed a little blurb of red every 5 seconds. Kind of hard to see it 3) There is a smell that you cannot miss when you burn a CPU. You should be able to smell it when it is still installed but you would almost definitely smell it if you took it out and held it up to your face. Granted I have only burned out one CPU in my day and I hope it is the only one so I am not an expert. But from what I read there should be a smell. Also to be able to flash your bios you would need a working cpu in your motherboard. I think the poster suggested to clear your CMOS which would be taking out the CMOS and putting it back in I think. Also you mentioned that you were not sure the pad on the heatsink made direct contact with the core. When you removed it you should have the thermal pad stuff on the core. Also when you put the heatsink back on make sure you remove all the old thermal pad stuff off the heatsink and the core and then apply new paste. I think not removing all the thermal pad is what burned out my CPU (also it mentions to remove the thermal pad in the CPU directions that came with the box if you remove the heatsink for any reason).
July 2, 2003 12:47:31 PM

Greetings.

Thanks to all that replied. I did not make myself clear, the post codes are NOT on the monitor they are on the motherboard. (Epox 8rga+ has a little post code box on the motherboard.) I see absolutely nothing on the monitor; thus, I cannot do anything as far as I know. Since I am seeing nothing, I presume the CPU is bad. Of course, the motherboard may be bad too? How can one tell if the motherboard is defective?

Thanks!

Thanks!
July 2, 2003 12:54:47 PM

Thanks for the info. As far as I could tell, the HSF was not on backwards... there was a stepped up part on the heatsink that matched cpu holder stepped up part.

I have returned the CPU --will take about 1 week to get the replacement-- but have no idea if the motherboard is dead/defective.

Oh --as I posted elsewhere-- when I rebooted and the monitor went blank, the post number I read was on the motherboard post box not the monitor.

Thanks
July 5, 2003 2:02:54 PM

Thanks.

The HSF was tilting slightly downward in the direction of the raised lip.
July 5, 2003 2:15:14 PM

Thanks!

You mentioned that I should try resetting the CMOS. Just out of curiosity, can the (not reset) CMOS cause --as in my situation-- the monitor to be absolutely blank? I thought that if the CPU were working correctly something should show up on the monitor even if the CMOS was not reset.
a b à CPUs
February 23, 2011 7:09:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!