'Must Have' OS5 *Utilities*

November 4, 2004 12:00:17 PM

Hi. What are your favorite 'Must Have' OS5 *Utilities*?

I am not trying to duplicate the recent 'Must Have' thread, but wish
to narrow it down to OS5 utilities. I define utilities as programs
which do one or two things really well, and that one or two things
enhance the overall use of the device (so, no, I am not asking about
Datebk5, not an utility by my definition).

Examples include hacks (almost none of which work on OS5) popup
utilities, etc.

I'll start the listing with my own favorites:

Freeware

CutPaste5 (single strokes for cut & paste, needs stroke for Select
All)
ShortCut5 (huge sized shortcuts and macros)
Switch5 (Switch to previous program & list previous programs)
OffStroke (Turn off device with a pen stroke)
SilkDimmer (Backlight from 100% to 0% and every step in between)
PsLink (MegaWiki redux, works on OS5)

Shareware

LightSpeed (overclock & underclock for newer devices).

Any others? I really need a single stroke for 'Select All'.

Pavy

More about : os5 utilities

Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:47:51 PM

On 4 Nov 2004 09:00:17 -0800, pavy had this to say...

> Hi. What are your favorite 'Must Have' OS5 *Utilities*?
>
> I am not trying to duplicate the recent 'Must Have' thread, but wish
> to narrow it down to OS5 utilities. I define utilities as programs
> which do one or two things really well, and that one or two things
> enhance the overall use of the device (so, no, I am not asking about
> Datebk5, not an utility by my definition).
>
> Examples include hacks (almost none of which work on OS5) popup
> utilities, etc.
>

> I'll start the listing with my own favorites:
>
> Freeware
>
> CutPaste5 (single strokes for cut & paste, needs stroke for Select
> All)
> ShortCut5 (huge sized shortcuts and macros)
> Switch5 (Switch to previous program & list previous programs)
> OffStroke (Turn off device with a pen stroke)
> SilkDimmer (Backlight from 100% to 0% and every step in between)
> PsLink (MegaWiki redux, works on OS5)
>
> Shareware
>
> LightSpeed (overclock & underclock for newer devices).
>

> Any others? I really need a single stroke for 'Select All'.
>
> Pavy

Most apps have /s (command s) as select all ( 8(|)

Pop-up calc SnapCalc5
<http://www.freewarepalm.com/calculator/snapcalc5.shtml&...;
Full screen pop-up calc, execute it again while it is up and change to
half size calc you can drag around the screen. FREE

Fonts4OS5 <http://tinyurl.com/3stcz&gt; and FontSubst
<http://tinyurl.com/5tevb&gt; change fonts/sizes in some/all programs.
Shareware

PFB <http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm&gt; mounts Palm AND SD card as
disk drives in windows, drag-n-drop files (english version in download).
Stable and FREE.

IconFix <http://tinyurl.com/4nbrp&gt; Changes the 2-bit blue and white
icons to hi-res color in the DIA area of T3. FREE

Chime <http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/chime.shtml&gt; announces time in
synthesized human voice, male or female, chime and vibration. FREE

RescoExplorer <http://www.resco-net.com/palm/Explorer/&gt; File manager,
Zip/archiver, photo viewer, launcher. Shareware

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

On 4 Nov 2004 09:00:17 -0800, pavymk@hotmail.com (pavy) wrote:

>Any others? I really need a single stroke for 'Select All'.

I am still a new Palm user but I have already found a few useful
things:

BigClock
TimeCopy
SnapCalc

I Don't know if you consider AeroPlayer a Utility, but it was one of
the first pieces of software I registered.
November 5, 2004 10:01:59 AM

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bf4271ae32721269898e6@news.frontiernet.net>...
> On 4 Nov 2004 09:00:17 -0800, pavy had this to say...
> > Any others? I really need a single stroke for 'Select All'.
> >
> > Pavy
> >

> Most apps have /s (command s) as select all ( 8(|)

If you have never used EasyLaunch, then you cannot appreciate the
virtues of single stroke lazyness. Pure bliss! :-)

So yes, I still want single stroke (or tap) Select All.

Pavy
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 10:32:18 PM

On 4 Nov 2004 09:00:17 -0800, pavy had this to say...

> Hi. What are your favorite 'Must Have' OS5 *Utilities*?
>
> I am not trying to duplicate the recent 'Must Have' thread, but wish
> to narrow it down to OS5 utilities. I define utilities as programs
> which do one or two things really well, and that one or two things
> enhance the overall use of the device (so, no, I am not asking about
> Datebk5, not an utility by my definition).
>
> Examples include hacks (almost none of which work on OS5) popup
> utilities, etc.
>

> I'll start the listing with my own favorites:
>
> Freeware
>
> CutPaste5 (single strokes for cut & paste, needs stroke for Select
> All)
> ShortCut5 (huge sized shortcuts and macros)
> Switch5 (Switch to previous program & list previous programs)
> OffStroke (Turn off device with a pen stroke)
> SilkDimmer (Backlight from 100% to 0% and every step in between)
> PsLink (MegaWiki redux, works on OS5)
>
> Shareware
>
> LightSpeed (overclock & underclock for newer devices).
>

> Any others? I really need a single stroke for 'Select All'.
>
> Pavy

TrackerDog <http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/&gt; Looks at all the programs on
RAM, ROM and SD card, then checks if they are the latest version. You
can set it to download the newer version at the next Hotsync. FREE

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 1:58:03 AM

:So yes, I still want single stroke (or tap) Select All.

pToolSet can do it. /PaulN [usual small print taht I wrote it]
November 20, 2004 10:50:15 PM

I would define an app as any application and reckon must-haves on OS 5
include (in no particular order)

FlyZip XR (www.fly-zip.com)
- fast compression with various options, run apps from compressed file.
FlyBackUp (www.fly-zip.com)
- most robust I have found, compresses, restores to original location

AeroPlayer (www.aerodrome.us)
- excellent MP3, .ogg player. Waiting for AAC! Does not clip like
PocketTunes.

Dimmer (www.79bmedia.com)
- better backlight management with profiles and variable
autodim/auto-off times.

FileZ (www.nosleep.net)
- you need this file manager...

Hiarcs Chess (www.hiarcs.com)
- impossibly powerful and fast chess engine on a Palm!

LifeBalance (www.llamagraphics.com)
- an amazing überToDo list - you need to get used to it see how
powerful it is!

QLaunch (www.digitsense.com)
- launch multiple apps and control settings with hard keys

UninstallManager (www.northglide.com)
- easiest way to remove apps and associated files/databases

ReadThemAll (via www.palmgear.com)
- great little doc reader with unique smooth "spotlight scroll" feature
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 12:30:27 PM

M <m.nospam@nospam.ya.com> wrote in message news:<cno3l7$hgl$1@news.ya.com>...
> I would define an app as any application and reckon must-haves on OS 5
> include (in no particular order)

An app is indeed any application, but "app" is nowhere in the original
thread. Utilities is the subject. By that definition, only the
following qualify (for those who wonder, I am using a desktop pc
definition of utilities).

Pavy

> FlyZip XR (www.fly-zip.com)
> - fast compression with various options, run apps from compressed file.
> FlyBackUp (www.fly-zip.com)
> - most robust I have found, compresses, restores to original location
> Dimmer (www.79bmedia.com)
> - better backlight management with profiles and variable
> autodim/auto-off times.
>
> FileZ (www.nosleep.net)
> - you need this file manager...
> QLaunch (www.digitsense.com)
> - launch multiple apps and control settings with hard keys
>
> UninstallManager (www.northglide.com)
> - easiest way to remove apps and associated files/databases
November 22, 2004 2:34:20 AM

Good point, Pavy! And nice of you to seperate out the utilities below
for those who are interested. Cheers!

On 2004-11-21 18:30:27 +0100, dv5m42@gmail.com (pavy) said:

> M <m.nospam@nospam.ya.com> wrote in message news:<cno3l7$hgl$1@news.ya.com>...
>> I would define an app as any application and reckon must-haves on OS 5
>> include (in no particular order)
>
> An app is indeed any application, but "app" is nowhere in the original
> thread. Utilities is the subject. By that definition, only the
> following qualify (for those who wonder, I am using a desktop pc
> definition of utilities).
>
> Pavy
>

>> FlyZip XR (www.fly-zip.com)
>> - fast compression with various options, run apps from compressed file.
>> FlyBackUp (www.fly-zip.com)
>> - most robust I have found, compresses, restores to original location
>> Dimmer (www.79bmedia.com)
>> - better backlight management with profiles and variable
>> autodim/auto-off times.
>>
>> FileZ (www.nosleep.net)
>> - you need this file manager...
>> QLaunch (www.digitsense.com)
>> - launch multiple apps and control settings with hard keys
>>
>> UninstallManager (www.northglide.com)
>> - easiest way to remove apps and associated files/databases
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 8:40:22 AM

On 21-Nov-2004, M <m.nospam@nospam.ya.com> Flushed this thought from his brain
to the screen::

> Good point, Pavy! And nice of you to seperate out the utilities below
> for those who are interested. Cheers!
--
A: Because it reverses the natural flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting considered inappropriate?

WyreNut
!