Spyware Doctor

August 20, 2005 5:18:01 PM

Hi,

Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I am
worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
insight would be great!

Kathy

More about : spyware doctor

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:25:15 PM

Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.

Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Kathy" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I am
| worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
| insight would be great!
|
| Kathy
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 7:25:16 PM

Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy Doctor...is
it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and causes
more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is like
that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
insight?

Kathy

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
> as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
>
> Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Kathy" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I am
> | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
> | insight would be great!
> |
> | Kathy

August 20, 2005 7:25:17 PM

is this what she downloaded
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

Its a perfectly legitimate program but this ones better
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/

peterk

"Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy
> Doctor...is
> it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and
> causes
> more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is
> like
> that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
> insight?
>
> Kathy
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
>> as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
>>
>> Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Kathy" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi,
>> |
>> | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I
>> am
>> | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
>> | insight would be great!
>> |
>> | Kathy

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 8:35:18 PM

Things change very quickly, but the list below is sort of a
reference guide for products to avoid.
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#pr...

"Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy
> Doctor...is
> it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and
> causes
> more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is
> like
> that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
> insight?
>
> Kathy
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
>> as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
>>
>> Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Kathy" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi,
>> |
>> | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I
>> am
>> | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
>> | insight would be great!
>> |
>> | Kathy

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:21:05 AM

The program is produced by PC Tools in Australia, I believe. I don't know
if it's a an offshoot of the old PC Tools of MS-DOS days. I purchased the
program on the basis of the PC Tools name (rather irrational, huh?). They
have several programs along this line, and Spyware Doctor seemed to do a
very good job... BUT, I have 2 programs which are more important to me than
Spyware Doctor, which that program affects; so I had to uninstall Spyware
Doctor. Those 2 programs are Photodex's CompuPic and Inbit's FullShot.
CompuPic would not respond to some hotkey commands and did a couple of other
strange antics. FullShot (a great capture utility) would not execute on the
Internet where I use it most.

PC Tools readily offered a trade for one of their other products; I declined
simply because I had similar products which I preferred. You might take a
look at their website. I don't have the URL handy but Google will turn it
up. Somewhere I read some reviews on this program, maybe ZDNet or CNET, and
user's reviews were quite mixed.

"Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy
> Doctor...is
> it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and
> causes
> more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is
> like
> that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
> insight?
>
> Kathy
>

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
>> as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
>>
>> Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Kathy" wrote:
>>
>> | Hi,
>> |
>> | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I
>> am
>> | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
>> | insight would be great!
>> |
>> | Kathy

August 21, 2005 8:27:53 AM

I used Spy Doctor and it caught a lot of stuff but I uninstalled it too.
The version I had was not a full release version which can be downloaded at
www.download.com
Because of this, it kept putting popups up asking to buy stuff. The Whole
reason for spy doctor was to get rid of stuff like that.

Anyway, it works great as long as you plan to uninstall in when you done
using it.

!