Spyware Doctor

Hi,

Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I am
worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
insight would be great!

Kathy
6 answers Last reply
More about spyware doctor

    Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
    as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.

    Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Kathy" wrote:

    | Hi,
    |
    | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I am
    | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
    | insight would be great!
    |
    | Kathy

    Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy Doctor...is
    it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and causes
    more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is like
    that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
    insight?

    Kathy

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
    > as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
    >
    > Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Kathy" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I am
    > | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
    > | insight would be great!
    > |
    > | Kathy

    is this what she downloaded
    http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

    Its a perfectly legitimate program but this ones better
    http://www.sunbelt-software.com/

    peterk

    "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy
    > Doctor...is
    > it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and
    > causes
    > more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is
    > like
    > that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
    > insight?
    >
    > Kathy
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
    >> as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
    >>
    >> Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "Kathy" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi,
    >> |
    >> | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I
    >> am
    >> | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
    >> | insight would be great!
    >> |
    >> | Kathy

    Things change very quickly, but the list below is sort of a
    reference guide for products to avoid.
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products

    "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy
    > Doctor...is
    > it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and
    > causes
    > more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is
    > like
    > that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
    > insight?
    >
    > Kathy
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
    >> as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
    >>
    >> Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "Kathy" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi,
    >> |
    >> | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I
    >> am
    >> | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
    >> | insight would be great!
    >> |
    >> | Kathy

    The program is produced by PC Tools in Australia, I believe. I don't know
    if it's a an offshoot of the old PC Tools of MS-DOS days. I purchased the
    program on the basis of the PC Tools name (rather irrational, huh?). They
    have several programs along this line, and Spyware Doctor seemed to do a
    very good job... BUT, I have 2 programs which are more important to me than
    Spyware Doctor, which that program affects; so I had to uninstall Spyware
    Doctor. Those 2 programs are Photodex's CompuPic and Inbit's FullShot.
    CompuPic would not respond to some hotkey commands and did a couple of other
    strange antics. FullShot (a great capture utility) would not execute on the
    Internet where I use it most.

    PC Tools readily offered a trade for one of their other products; I declined
    simply because I had similar products which I preferred. You might take a
    look at their website. I don't have the URL handy but Google will turn it
    up. Somewhere I read some reviews on this program, maybe ZDNet or CNET, and
    user's reviews were quite mixed.

    "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for that info. However, I am looking to learn about Spy
    > Doctor...is
    > it a scam? Is it valid? I know some stuff out there is bogeous and
    > causes
    > more problems than anything and I am looking to see if this program is
    > like
    > that or if it is just another 3-party version of a spyware fixer....any
    > insight?
    >
    > Kathy
    >

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft offer a free antispyware program that will perform as well
    >> as or better than any third-party antispyware programs.
    >>
    >> Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "Kathy" wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi,
    >> |
    >> | Has anyone heard of Spyware Doctor before? A friend downloaded it and I
    >> am
    >> | worried it might not be good/valid as I never heard of it before...any
    >> | insight would be great!
    >> |
    >> | Kathy

    I used Spy Doctor and it caught a lot of stuff but I uninstalled it too.
    The version I had was not a full release version which can be downloaded at
    www.download.com
    Because of this, it kept putting popups up asking to buy stuff. The Whole
    reason for spy doctor was to get rid of stuff like that.

    Anyway, it works great as long as you plan to uninstall in when you done
    using it.

Microsoft Spyware Windows XP