USB mass storage not visible in Explorer or My PC?

a b G Storage
August 20, 2005 5:20:03 PM

I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
much else left is there :-)

Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all is
well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and reconnect
it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and running
correctly" message.

And advice?

Thanks

Briggers
--
Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
Anonymous

What is the mass storage device? Hard drive or memory stick? What version of
Windows are you running?
If it's a hard drive, you may have to format it. Open My Computer, right
click on the new drive and select Format.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
> much else left is there :-)
>
> Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
> is
> well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
> reconnect
> it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
> running
> correctly" message.
>
> And advice?
>
> Thanks
>
> Briggers
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 20, 2005 7:01:03 PM

Its a HD and has already been formated and used prior to upgrade
--

"Don Schmidt" wrote:

> What is the mass storage device? Hard drive or memory stick? What version of
> Windows are you running?
> If it's a hard drive, you may have to format it. Open My Computer, right
> click on the new drive and select Format.
>
> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>

> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
> > much else left is there :-)
> >
> > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
> > is
> > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
> > reconnect
> > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
> > running
> > correctly" message.
> >
> > And advice?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Briggers
> > --
> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 1:22:59 AM

What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
> much else left is there :-)
>
> Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
> is
> well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
> reconnect
> it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
> running
> correctly" message.
>
> And advice?
>
> Thanks
>
> Briggers
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 1:23:00 AM

A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
--

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.

> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
> > much else left is there :-)
> >
> > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
> > is
> > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
> > reconnect
> > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
> > running
> > correctly" message.
> >
> > And advice?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Briggers
> > --
> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 2:21:38 AM

Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box " compmgmt.msc
/s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive letter
to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good or
you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change the
cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think windows
is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that is
why you have to manually change it.

> A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.
>>
>> --

>> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive)
>> >not
>> > much else left is there :-)
>> >
>> > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and
>> > all
>> > is
>> > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
>> > reconnect
>> > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
>> > running
>> > correctly" message.
>> >
>> > And advice?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Briggers
>> > --
>> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 2:21:39 AM

OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows give it
the drive letter "F"?
--

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box " compmgmt.msc
> /s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
> Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive letter
> to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
> give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good or
> you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change the
> cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think windows
> is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that is
> why you have to manually change it.

> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
> > --
> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
> >

> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 3:13:11 AM

What? I thought you said it is not seen in explorer. If it is then what's
the problem? If you are asking why windows will not give it F that is
because windows see's your Mass storage device as a hard drive and it tries
to give it the next available drive letter. Windows labels its drives Hard
drive first then cd drives.

> OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows give
> it
> the drive letter "F"?
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box "
>> compmgmt.msc
>> /s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
>> Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive
>> letter
>> to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
>> give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good
>> or
>> you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change
>> the
>> cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think
>> windows
>> is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that
>> is
>> why you have to manually change it.
>>
>> --

>> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
>> > --
>> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 3:13:12 AM

The mass storage device I can't see is a 80gb HD in a external case, the
memory stick is a 250mb solid state device.

Changed the drive letter didn't work eithrer.

Briggers

--

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> What? I thought you said it is not seen in explorer. If it is then what's
> the problem? If you are asking why windows will not give it F that is
> because windows see's your Mass storage device as a hard drive and it tries
> to give it the next available drive letter. Windows labels its drives Hard
> drive first then cd drives.

> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows give
> > it
> > the drive letter "F"?
> > --
> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
> >

> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> >> Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box "
> >> compmgmt.msc
> >> /s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
> >> Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive
> >> letter
> >> to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
> >> give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good
> >> or
> >> you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change
> >> the
> >> cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think
> >> windows
> >> is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that
> >> is
> >> why you have to manually change it.
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >>

> >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 4:58:43 AM

Ok start over. What do you have plugged in and what is seen and not seen.

"Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 0633BA8-B4A7-498E-871B-0E661011C94B@microsoft.com...
> The mass storage device I can't see is a 80gb HD in a external case, the
> memory stick is a 250mb solid state device.
>
> Changed the drive letter didn't work eithrer.
>
> Briggers
>
> --
> Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
>> What? I thought you said it is not seen in explorer. If it is then what's
>> the problem? If you are asking why windows will not give it F that is
>> because windows see's your Mass storage device as a hard drive and it
>> tries
>> to give it the next available drive letter. Windows labels its drives
>> Hard
>> drive first then cd drives.
>>
>> --

>> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows
>> > give
>> > it
>> > the drive letter "F"?
>> > --
>> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 21, 2005 4:58:44 AM

At the moment I have 1 HD, 1 CD drive & 1 DVD drive, all of which are
visible in W/Explorer, I also have the external HD plugged into a USB port,
this is not visible. The device manager can see the mass storage device and
confirms its OK.

The device was working fine before the upgrade, I am going to unplug it and
try it in my laptop, just to make sure I am not going crazy!

Briggers
--

!