USB mass storage not visible in Explorer or My PC?

I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
much else left is there :-)

Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all is
well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and reconnect
it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and running
correctly" message.

And advice?

Thanks

Briggers
--
Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
10 answers Last reply

    What is the mass storage device? Hard drive or memory stick? What version of
    Windows are you running?
    If it's a hard drive, you may have to format it. Open My Computer, right
    click on the new drive and select Format.

    --
    Don
    Vancouver, USA

    "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
    > much else left is there :-)
    >
    > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
    > is
    > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
    > reconnect
    > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
    > running
    > correctly" message.
    >
    > And advice?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Briggers
    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    Its a HD and has already been formated and used prior to upgrade
    --

    "Don Schmidt" wrote:

    > What is the mass storage device? Hard drive or memory stick? What version of
    > Windows are you running?
    > If it's a hard drive, you may have to format it. Open My Computer, right
    > click on the new drive and select Format.
    >
    > --
    > Don
    > Vancouver, USA
    >

    > "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
    > > much else left is there :-)
    > >
    > > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
    > > is
    > > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
    > > reconnect
    > > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
    > > running
    > > correctly" message.
    > >
    > > And advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Briggers
    > > --
    > > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.

    "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
    > much else left is there :-)
    >
    > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
    > is
    > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
    > reconnect
    > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
    > running
    > correctly" message.
    >
    > And advice?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Briggers
    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
    --

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.

    > "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive) not
    > > much else left is there :-)
    > >
    > > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and all
    > > is
    > > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
    > > reconnect
    > > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
    > > running
    > > correctly" message.
    > >
    > > And advice?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Briggers
    > > --
    > > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box " compmgmt.msc
    /s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
    Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive letter
    to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
    give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good or
    you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change the
    cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think windows
    is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that is
    why you have to manually change it.

    > A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    >

    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have upgraded my PC (motherboard, HD, Processor, RAM and DVD drive)
    >> >not
    >> > much else left is there :-)
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, I can see the USB mass storage device in "Device Manager" and
    >> > all
    >> > is
    >> > well but I can't see it in Explorere or My PC. If I unplug it and
    >> > reconnect
    >> > it gets found and installed with the "new software is installed and
    >> > running
    >> > correctly" message.
    >> >
    >> > And advice?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> >
    >> > Briggers
    >> > --
    >> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows give it
    the drive letter "F"?
    --

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box " compmgmt.msc
    > /s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
    > Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive letter
    > to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
    > give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good or
    > you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change the
    > cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think windows
    > is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that is
    > why you have to manually change it.

    > "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
    > > --
    > > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    > >

    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> What driver letters are listed in explorer right now.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    What? I thought you said it is not seen in explorer. If it is then what's
    the problem? If you are asking why windows will not give it F that is
    because windows see's your Mass storage device as a hard drive and it tries
    to give it the next available drive letter. Windows labels its drives Hard
    drive first then cd drives.

    > OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows give
    > it
    > the drive letter "F"?
    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    >

    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box "
    >> compmgmt.msc
    >> /s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
    >> Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive
    >> letter
    >> to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
    >> give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good
    >> or
    >> you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change
    >> the
    >> cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think
    >> windows
    >> is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that
    >> is
    >> why you have to manually change it.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > A, C, D (CD drive) & E (DVD drive)
    >> > --
    >> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    The mass storage device I can't see is a 80gb HD in a external case, the
    memory stick is a 250mb solid state device.

    Changed the drive letter didn't work eithrer.

    Briggers

    --

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > What? I thought you said it is not seen in explorer. If it is then what's
    > the problem? If you are asking why windows will not give it F that is
    > because windows see's your Mass storage device as a hard drive and it tries
    > to give it the next available drive letter. Windows labels its drives Hard
    > drive first then cd drives.

    > "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows give
    > > it
    > > the drive letter "F"?
    > > --
    > > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    > >

    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Unplug the USB drive then click start>run and type in the box "
    > >> compmgmt.msc
    > >> /s" without the quotes. On the computer management windows select Disk
    > >> Management then right click on your cd drive D and change the drive
    > >> letter
    > >> to G. Reboot then plug in your USB drive, the system should detect it and
    > >> give it a drive letter of D. You can leave it like that and all is good
    > >> or
    > >> you can repeat the same steps and give it a drive letter of F and change
    > >> the
    > >> cd drive G back to D. Once they are changed they will stay. I think
    > >> windows
    > >> is trying to give the USB drive a letter that is already in use D, that
    > >> is
    > >> why you have to manually change it.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Ok start over. What do you have plugged in and what is seen and not seen.

    > The mass storage device I can't see is a 80gb HD in a external case, the
    > memory stick is a 250mb solid state device.
    >
    > Changed the drive letter didn't work eithrer.
    >
    > Briggers
    >
    > --
    > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    >

    > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    >
    >> What? I thought you said it is not seen in explorer. If it is then what's
    >> the problem? If you are asking why windows will not give it F that is
    >> because windows see's your Mass storage device as a hard drive and it
    >> tries
    >> to give it the next available drive letter. Windows labels its drives
    >> Hard
    >> drive first then cd drives.
    >>
    >> --

    >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > OK I will try that but why when I insert my memory stick does Windows
    >> > give
    >> > it
    >> > the drive letter "F"?
    >> > --
    >> > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all

    At the moment I have 1 HD, 1 CD drive & 1 DVD drive, all of which are
    visible in W/Explorer, I also have the external HD plugged into a USB port,
    this is not visible. The device manager can see the mass storage device and
    confirms its OK.

    The device was working fine before the upgrade, I am going to unplug it and
    try it in my laptop, just to make sure I am not going crazy!

    Briggers
    --

    "pcbutts1" wrote:

    > Ok start over. What do you have plugged in and what is seen and not seen.

    > "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The mass storage device I can't see is a 80gb HD in a external case, the
    > > memory stick is a 250mb solid state device.
    > >
    > > Changed the drive letter didn't work eithrer.
    > >
    > > Briggers
    > >
    > > --
    > > Some things don't matter very much; most things don't matter at all
    > >

    > > "pcbutts1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> What? I thought you said it is not seen in explorer. If it is then what's
    > >> the problem? If you are asking why windows will not give it F that is
    > >> because windows see's your Mass storage device as a hard drive and it
    > >> tries
    > >> to give it the next available drive letter. Windows labels its drives
    > >> Hard
    > >> drive first then cd drives.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > >> The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
    > >> NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
    > >> See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
    > >> Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
    > >>

    > >> "Briggers" <Briggers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Storage Windows XP