Botched XP installation; error in rollback to previous sys..

August 20, 2005 5:38:07 PM

Last night I bought a new copy XP Home Ed. When I tried to install it on my
system, there was a power failure and the computer went down near the end of
the install. I was able to boot with an Emergency Windows ME startup disk and
roll back the system to Windows ME. Before I reinstall XP I want to clear up
an error that happens when the computer now boots in ME. After the system
boots the following lines appear:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed Install
Cancel XP Install

I would like to clear this error screen before I proceed with a fresh
install. Does anyone know how I do this?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 6:46:55 PM

Cancel XP Install...........click on it
peterk

"ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Last night I bought a new copy XP Home Ed. When I tried to install it on
> my
> system, there was a power failure and the computer went down near the end
> of
> the install. I was able to boot with an Emergency Windows ME startup disk
> and
> roll back the system to Windows ME. Before I reinstall XP I want to clear
> up
> an error that happens when the computer now boots in ME. After the system
> boots the following lines appear:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed Install
> Cancel XP Install
>
> I would like to clear this error screen before I proceed with a fresh
> install. Does anyone know how I do this?
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 6:46:56 PM

I know that I should click on that message.

HOWEVER, it continues to show whenever I boot the system. My question as
before is how do I get rid of this error message.

"peterk" wrote:

> Cancel XP Install...........click on it
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Last night I bought a new copy XP Home Ed. When I tried to install it on
> > my
> > system, there was a power failure and the computer went down near the end
> > of
> > the install. I was able to boot with an Emergency Windows ME startup disk
> > and
> > roll back the system to Windows ME. Before I reinstall XP I want to clear
> > up
> > an error that happens when the computer now boots in ME. After the system
> > boots the following lines appear:
> >
> > Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed Install
> > Cancel XP Install
> >
> > I would like to clear this error screen before I proceed with a fresh
> > install. Does anyone know how I do this?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:50:59 PM

That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled and
booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is gone.

Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties | advanced |
Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
notepad.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

>I know that I should click on that message.
>
> HOWEVER, it continues to show whenever I boot the system. My question as
> before is how do I get rid of this error message.
>
> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> Cancel XP Install...........click on it
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
>> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Last night I bought a new copy XP Home Ed. When I tried to install it
>> > on
>> > my
>> > system, there was a power failure and the computer went down near the
>> > end
>> > of
>> > the install. I was able to boot with an Emergency Windows ME startup
>> > disk
>> > and
>> > roll back the system to Windows ME. Before I reinstall XP I want to
>> > clear
>> > up
>> > an error that happens when the computer now boots in ME. After the
>> > system
>> > boots the following lines appear:
>> >
>> > Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed Install
>> > Cancel XP Install
>> >
>> > I would like to clear this error screen before I proceed with a fresh
>> > install. Does anyone know how I do this?

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:51:00 PM

Richard,

I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot at
all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

Windows root>system32\hal.dll.

Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Help!

"Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:

> That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled and
> booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
> associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is gone.
>
> Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties | advanced |
> Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
> notepad.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I know that I should click on that message.
> >
> > HOWEVER, it continues to show whenever I boot the system. My question as
> > before is how do I get rid of this error message.
> >
> > "peterk" wrote:
> >
> >> Cancel XP Install...........click on it
> >> peterk
> >>
> >> --
> >> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> >> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 20, 2005 11:51:01 PM

Richard,

I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.

"ronbo76" wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot at
> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
>
> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>
> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
>
> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
>
> Help!
>
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled and
> > booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
> > associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is gone.
> >
> > Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties | advanced |
> > Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
> > notepad.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Quote from: George Ankner
> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
> >
> > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I know that I should click on that message.
> > >
> > > HOWEVER, it continues to show whenever I boot the system. My question as
> > > before is how do I get rid of this error message.

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 10:45:39 PM

> Richard,
>
> I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
> copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
> won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.
>
> "ronbo76" wrote:
>
>> Richard,
>>
>> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
>> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
>> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot
>> at
>> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
>>
>> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
>>
>> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
>>
>> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
>>
>> Help!
>>
>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> > That line is likely in the boot.ini file. After you have reinstalled
>> > and
>> > booted into Windows, you can use notepad to open boot.ini. Delete the
>> > associated line, save and exit the file. Reboot to make certain it is
>> > gone.
>> >
>> > Another way is to right click on my computer. Go to properties |
>> > advanced |
>> > Startup and Recovery Settings | Edit. This will also open the file in
>> > notepad.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Richard Urban
>> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > Quote from: George Ankner
>> > "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>> >
>> > "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 8:25:06 PM

Peter, You need to read the posts as again you are off target. I can't use
the CD drive as it isn't working.

"peterk" wrote:

> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Richard,
> >
> > I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
> > copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the system
> > won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.
> >
> > "ronbo76" wrote:
> >
> >> Richard,
> >>
> >> I think I screwed up! I opened the file with Notepad and there was this
> >> entire section about bootloading. Unfortunately I destroyed the entire
> >> section versus just those two lines. Now the computer will not not boot
> >> at
> >> all even in Safe mode. I just the following lines:
> >>
> >> Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
> >>
> >> Windows root>system32\hal.dll.
> >>
> >> Please re-install a copy of the above file.
> >>
> >> Help!

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:38:24 PM

I would check in the BIOS to see that the Cd drive is set as 1st boot device
with the HD set as 2nd Boot Device.
The usual way to enter the BIOS is to hit the "delete" key when you see the
BIOS screen.
The CD drive should work from that point on......unless it is not even
recognised in the BIOS.Then you have a different problem and need to check
to see if all of your power connections are properly seated.
The usual reason the XP disk will not boot is because the BIOS is set to
find an OS on the HD never on a CD...if it finds none it does not boot.By
setting the CD as 1st boot it will look there first.
let me know

> Peter, You need to read the posts as again you are off target. I can't use
> the CD drive as it isn't working.
>
> "peterk" wrote:
>
>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>> peterk
>>
>> --
>> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
>> "ronbo76" <ronbo76@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Richard,
>> >
>> > I am able to boot the computer using my emergency boot startup disk. I
>> > copied the boot.ini file to the floppy and tried to edit it but the
>> > system
>> > won't let me. Ditto when I tried to copy it back to the C: drive.

Anonymous
August 25, 2005 9:38:25 PM

I have tried all those methods and have changed the Bios as per my previous
posts.

!