Int crown move to IPF with a 1300/2100

As i say ealier this new itanium is fast really fast in FPU performance is unrival about 40% that anyone. The 1 to 5 are all Itanium except nb 2 who is a Power4+ 1.7GHZ.

There few intersesting part 1 opteron is part of the VS itanium as the box will be sold for 5000$.2 P4 are test with canterwood but with DDR 2100 as most workstation dont use DDR400 personaly i think under 4GB DDR333 can be use now.Page 12 benchmak is nice also they show a 3 times faster Itanium but just beat P4 3.06 GHZ.Most of workstation apps wont be much faster on Itanium that it was on a P4.We will have to wait a others year or so before see itanium lead in most of the benchmark in all market

http://www.hp.com/products1/itanium/pdfs/infolibrary/itanium_workstations_performance_june_25_2003_FINAL.pdf

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10250

[-peep-] french
10 answers Last reply
More about crown move 1300 2100
  1. I'm not impressed.
    Now you have better cache, and 50% more clock speed and all you get is a scalar result of 50% more FPU points! I expected MORE.

Upon second inspection, the INT performance did go higher than 50%, which, I guess, is very nice.
    --
    If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 06/30/03 11:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
  2. Is that performance scale truly linear in nature? (I mean, SPEC?)

Besides, I think you're missing the point. The point is that McKinley's FP score was already impressive, and +50% on that is a staggering 2100 or so points, and that's a new record.
  3. according to Hp and intel they will be a increase by 30% to 50% over 1GHZ mackinley

[-peep-] french
  4. On DIVX benchmark look a Pentium 100 vs P4 3066 mghz there a 30X difference equal to the frequency disparity even if thre much more units on P4 more cache and much faster I/O no CPu scale linear for a long time on a platform.Consider also that they still use the same bandwith

[-peep-] french
  5. That makes sense! The main core clock increase isn't everything. 3.0Ghz P4 with 30x the performance of a P100 is a good indication of that... The 3Ghz has more of everything, not just of clock, to really get that 30x increase.
  6. but on IPF only the clock speed and L3 cache have increase by 50% and real performance increase by 50% to 30% on X86 we need the more bandwith more units better chipset and many others improvement.Unlike X86 it take much less the give a good scaling of the chip.

[-peep-] french
  7. It seemed to me that the Pentium had near the IPC of a Pentium 4 if I am not mistaken. Also take SSE2 into account, as other benches, demonstrate P4 3GHZ being over 100 times faster.
    What about the Athlon XP 2GHZ compared to a 100MHZ P1?
    --
    If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 06/30/03 04:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
  8. It went up a expected but the other IPC improvements would've done more.
    However now that I thought about it, yes the lack of a new memory platform and bus does make a difference, and if it did get an upgrade on that, it'd likely get more than 50% easily.

--
    If I could see the Matrix, I'd tell you I am only seeing 0s inside your head! :tongue:
  9. In theory it have 100 times more power toms made benchmark it self look at the score on Divx

[-peep-] french
  10. There is no DivX score, IIRC.

--
    I am my own competition. -VJK
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Workstations