Reformating My Computer

I currently have a Compaq Presario running Windows Me with 850Mhz
processor, 128 ram, and 40 GB hard drive.

I think I might have a virus or maybe Me is just screwed up. I can't
use system restore, I can't open Windows Media Player, and I cant' view
some pages on amazon.com (music cd pages, I think I must have some anti
music virus.)

Anyway, I want my hard drive fully reformatted and windows
re-installed. Some questions:

I would like to upgrade to Windows XP because I have read it is so much
stable. Would my computer work all right with XP with a 850Mhz processor,
128 ram? Or would it be better to re-install Me?

I want to be able to use my dvd player that came with my computer, my cd
rom drive, and disk drive. Would I have to save the drivers and programs
that run these things before I reformat?

The only thing I want saved from my computer that I created are the
pictures I have loaded onto it. Anything else I don't really care about.

Would it be best to take my computer to a local computer repair shop and
let them do this? Would they be able to fully reformat my hard drive, get
my dvd player running, get my sound card and video card and all the other
cards running?

Basically, I want my computer restored to the way it was when I first
got it, except I want to keep the pictures. I'm thinking I might as well
reformat the drive tho, just incase there are any viruses.

I'm thinking about just buying another computer. But since my current
computer seems to be holding up so good I would hate to throw it in the
closet and not use it. I think I can easily get a few more years out of it.

So, what's the best plan to follow?

Thanks!

hh

The processor will do fine. 128MB of RAM will not. The bare, bare minimum
would be 256MB and XP does not like less than 512MB. WinMe is the worst Win
9X OS Microsoft ever foisted on the public. Get the 512, install XP and
never look back.
HH