Unidentified Network on Wired Ethernet

ctuong

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hi everyone,

I've been having this problem for weeks now and haven't had any luck fixing it. I'm having an unidentified network issue on my desktop, which is running Windows 7. I know it SHOULD be working because I've tried plugging the cable into my laptop and disabling wi-fi, and that works fine.

I'm currently on my university's network, and this only started when I first moved in this semester. My ethernet was working fine when I was at home over the summer, and when I was at school last semester. I'm able to obtain an IP address, and I'm able to ping 127.0.0.1 and my IP address successfully from the command line. Based on reading tons of other posts, I've also tried:
- resetting TCP/IP
- dnsflush
- disabling IPv6
- uninstalling Bonjour
- reinstalling drivers for my onboard network card (mobo: ASUS P7P55D-E LX, Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller)
- resetting the CMOS
- buying a new Intel NIC (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033)
- changing the "Link Speed & Duplex" setting for both cards (tried 1.0 Gbps full duplex, 100Mbps full and half duplex)
- changing network settings to automatically configure unidentified networks as private networks instead of public
- running virus/malware checks

I'm really at my wit's end for what else to try here. I thought buying a new NIC would do the trick and it was a last resort for me, but even that hasn't worked. I would definitely appreciate any help. Thanks!

dingo07

Distinguished
ping-ing 127.0.0.1 will alwyas get a response because it's a loopback address

are u unable to connect to the internet? can you ping www.tomshardware.com and get a response?

make sure your iPv4 ethernet settings is not set to manual and you do not have 2 ip's assigned to your nic

ctuong

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Output of ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : xxxxxxxxxxx
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : xxxxxx.EDU

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : xxxxxx.EDU
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 68-05-CA-0A-CE-E7
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cc3f:178b:e414:9200%20(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.12.16.56(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:02:55 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:44:55 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.12.16.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 171.64.7.111
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 426247626
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-14-95-4B-35-20-CF-30-EA-D0-FD
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.67.143.160
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 171.64.7.155
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 171.64.7.177
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 20-CF-30-EA-D0-FD
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter isatap.Stanford.EDU:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter 6TO4 Adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft 6to4 Adapter

dingo07

Distinguished
use the ip information to MANUALLY assign yourself the ip - reboot and try again

if your nic did not accept the changes then you should boot into safe mode and uninstall the drivers and nic, reboot, and then install the drivers again

Hi

Have you asked the college IT department for help and what you have to do to get on the network and then the internet ?

are you using a network cable which is known to work. ?
(some switches will auto detect a cross over cable others do not)

regards

Mike Barnes

ctuong

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
Hi Dingo, setting my IP manually and reinstalling drivers didn't work. :( I haven't touched my firewall settings in ages so I'm not really sure about that part. I just have the regular Windows Firewall with probably default settings.

mbarnes, I have talked to the IT department a little bit because I used to think it was an issue on their end with the connection. But I've been here for 3 years and have never had an issue connecting to their wired network so I'm not sure how much they could help. My cable works because I've tried it with my laptop.

dingo07

Distinguished
have you confirmed that the card is actually working, by unplugging it and seeing if you lose IP information?

I find it hard to believe that suddenly you cannot access the internet, even after installing a brand new NIC.

It just doesn't add up... there's some part of the equation you haven't divulged, because any one of the suggestions, on top of what you've done already, should've worked

try bringing your computer to another room and using their cable - if it works, then you know to contact IT and have them fix it

nygdb

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
SOLVED: another solution.

Appears some resolved this problem by removing Bonjour services. It didn't work for me.

I found an alternate solution of reinserting the network address under the advanced tab of the NIC card.: http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/12759-possible-solution-unidentified-network-access.html

One additional suggestion for those who, like me, limit router access to certain MAC addresses:

OMAR inserted a random 12 digit number. Instead insert the MAC address of the NIC. That is what is missing from the Device line of the ipconfig /all he refers to.

Hope this works for others as it did for me.