Dell Dimension 3000 - Systemboard upgrade

Does anyone know if I can upgrade the systemboard and still be able to use
the current hardware ie processor/memories/PSU?

Only if you buy a board from a Dimension 4600. An aftermarket board
will require major modifications to the wiring, and a new copy of XP.
The 4700 uses a completely different type of RAM and a different power
supply.

Malvin wrote:
> Does anyone know if I can upgrade the systemboard and still be able to use
> the current hardware ie processor/memories/PSU?

didn't do your homework before buying huh? 3000s are lowend trash. dump
the whole thing and buy a real system.

"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if I can upgrade the systemboard and still be able to use
> the current hardware ie processor/memories/PSU?

Yeah, it was the price that got me rushing into things, its too late now.
Too bad, just have to keep on going forward and not look back. I only
purchase the machine in Oct 2004 and really haven't used it. The monitor is
still unopened in the box, and the machine box is collecting dust.

That's why I wanna find out if I can upgrade the systemboard so that I can
make more use of it and maybe sell the D3000 systemboard on eBay.

"chugga" <chugga@lugga.com> wrote in message
> didn't do your homework before buying huh? 3000s are lowend trash. dump
> the whole thing and buy a real system.
>
> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know if I can upgrade the systemboard and still be able to
>> use
>> the current hardware ie processor/memories/PSU?

Right, so long its a 4600 systemboard then I am fine and can still use the
current D3000 hardware components?

Do you by any chance know how much I am looking at?

I spoke with Dell support in UK (that is where I am) and they told me
nothing is upgradeable on this system.

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Only if you buy a board from a Dimension 4600. An aftermarket board will
> require major modifications to the wiring, and a new copy of XP.
> The 4700 uses a completely different type of RAM and a different power
> supply.
>

> Malvin wrote:
>> Does anyone know if I can upgrade the systemboard and still be able to
>> use the current hardware ie processor/memories/PSU?

"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Right, so long its a 4600 systemboard then I am fine and can still use the
>current D3000 hardware components?
>
>Do you by any chance know how much I am looking at?
>
>I spoke with Dell support in UK (that is where I am) and they told me
>nothing is upgradeable on this system.

Probably because Dell hasn't tested/certified the 4600 MB, or
likely any MB other than the one specifically designed for it,
for use in the D3000. If you make the change, you're out of
spec/warranty, and on your own. Dell ain't gonna have anything
to do with you if you call for support after you make the change.
--
OJ III

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Right, so long its a 4600 systemboard then I am fine and can still use the
>>current D3000 hardware components?
>>
>>Do you by any chance know how much I am looking at?
>>
>>I spoke with Dell support in UK (that is where I am) and they told me
>>nothing is upgradeable on this system.
>
> Probably because Dell hasn't tested/certified the 4600 MB, or
> likely any MB other than the one specifically designed for it,
> for use in the D3000. If you make the change, you're out of
> spec/warranty, and on your own. Dell ain't gonna have anything
> to do with you if you call for support after you make the change.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

Soon long everything works that's fine, I'm not bothered with the tech.
support warranty, considering everytime I contact the tech. support they
don't seem to know the answer and always get me to hold the line when ever I
ask them a question.

> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Right, so long its a 4600 systemboard then I am fine and can still use
>>>the
>>>current D3000 hardware components?
>>>
>>>Do you by any chance know how much I am looking at?
>>>
>>>I spoke with Dell support in UK (that is where I am) and they told me
>>>nothing is upgradeable on this system.
>>
>> Probably because Dell hasn't tested/certified the 4600 MB, or
>> likely any MB other than the one specifically designed for it,
>> for use in the D3000. If you make the change, you're out of
>> spec/warranty, and on your own. Dell ain't gonna have anything
>> to do with you if you call for support after you make the change.
>> --
>> OJ III
>> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
>
> Soon long everything works that's fine, I'm not bothered with the tech.
> support warranty, considering everytime I contact the tech. support they
> don't seem to know the answer and always get me to hold the line when ever
> I ask them a question.

You're MUCH better off selling it and buying what you want.

Tom

gb

> Yeah, it was the price that got me rushing into things, its too late now.
> Too bad, just have to keep on going forward and not look back. I only
> purchase the machine in Oct 2004 and really haven't used it. The monitor
> is still unopened in the box, and the machine box is collecting dust.
>
> That's why I wanna find out if I can upgrade the systemboard so that I can
> make more use of it and maybe sell the D3000 systemboard on eBay.

Hi Malvin

My advice is to sell the entire PC on ebay. You'll get a reasonable price as
Dell is a 'known brand'. These are not bad machines for basic office use, so
there's good demand for them. There were some extraordinary deals on in
October, so you might sell for as much as you paid for it new.

Then, buy a system box, motherboard etc and put your own pc together. The
hassle with modifying the Dell is out of all proportion to the benefit.

Regards

Geoff

"GB" <NotSomeone@microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yeah, it was the price that got me rushing into things, its too late now.
>> Too bad, just have to keep on going forward and not look back. I only
>> purchase the machine in Oct 2004 and really haven't used it. The monitor
>> is still unopened in the box, and the machine box is collecting dust.
>>
>> That's why I wanna find out if I can upgrade the systemboard so that I
>> can make more use of it and maybe sell the D3000 systemboard on eBay.
>>

> Hi Malvin
>
> My advice is to sell the entire PC on ebay. You'll get a reasonable price
> as Dell is a 'known brand'. These are not bad machines for basic office
> use, so there's good demand for them. There were some extraordinary deals
> on in October, so you might sell for as much as you paid for it new.
>
> Then, buy a system box, motherboard etc and put your own pc together. The
> hassle with modifying the Dell is out of all proportion to the benefit.
>
> Regards
>
> Geoff

Hiya Geoff,

Funny you should mentioned this, but thats exactly when I got this Dell,
back in Oct. 2004 on the extraordinary deal. Since then, its just been
sitting on my desk collecting dust. Only time I switched it on is when I
received it and powered up just to make sure everything is working.

gb

> Funny you should mentioned this, but thats exactly when I got this Dell,
> back in Oct. 2004 on the extraordinary deal. Since then, its just been
> sitting on my desk collecting dust. Only time I switched it on is when I
> received it and powered up just to make sure everything is working.

Computers tend to depreciate quite fast even when unused, so the obvious
advice is to sell soonest.

A few years ago when Compaq was still a free company and Compaq sold surplus
spare parts and used computer inventory to me, I put in a bid on some parts and
got a call from the Compaq adminstrator for this activity. I was admonished
that my bid was far too low and my bid did not take into account what Compaq
paid for the parts originally. My response was simply that computers and
computer parts as a commodity were like dead fish. On the day when caught, fish
taste wonderful when eaten. On the next day, not quite as good but still
palatable. On the third day, fish are suitable for chowder or stew, dishes
where the taste of the fish was masked by other ingredients. On the fourth day
after being caught, fish are suitable for garden fertilizer. Needless to day,
the Compaq bean counter/administrator was not impressed by my analogy, and I did
not buy the lot of spare parts at the price I wanted to pay. But take heed...

Computers and computer parts as a commodity keep just about as well as dead
fish... Ben Myers

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:59:43 +0000 (UTC), "GB" <NotSomeone@microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Malvin" <pa_pa_returns@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Funny you should mentioned this, but thats exactly when I got this Dell,
>> back in Oct. 2004 on the extraordinary deal. Since then, its just been
>> sitting on my desk collecting dust. Only time I switched it on is when I
>> received it and powered up just to make sure everything is working.
>
>Computers tend to depreciate quite fast even when unused, so the obvious
>advice is to sell soonest.

gb

>A few years ago when Compaq was still a free company and Compaq sold
>surplus
> spare parts and used computer inventory to me, I put in a bid on some
> parts and
> got a call from the Compaq adminstrator for this activity. I was
> admonished
> that my bid was far too low and my bid did not take into account what
> Compaq
> paid for the parts originally. My response was simply that computers and
> computer parts as a commodity were like dead fish. On the day when
> caught, fish
> taste wonderful when eaten. On the next day, not quite as good but still
> palatable. On the third day, fish are suitable for chowder or stew,
> dishes
> where the taste of the fish was masked by other ingredients. On the
> fourth day
> after being caught, fish are suitable for garden fertilizer. Needless to
> day,
> the Compaq bean counter/administrator was not impressed by my analogy, and
> I did
> not buy the lot of spare parts at the price I wanted to pay. But take
> heed...
>
> Computers and computer parts as a commodity keep just about as well as
> dead
> fish... Ben Myers

Getting a bit OT here, but reminds me of my MIL who says:

Visitors are like fish. After 3 days they stink.

:)