Somehow my home directory (C:\Documents and Settings\buck.DELLBOOK) ended up
with a DELLBOOK extension, my computer name. Is there a way I can rename
this buck, without the DELLBOOK extension? I have an app that complains
about the path being too long.

Hi,

No, there isn't. That happens when the user profile you originally had and a
new one is systematically created for you. You cannot change the name on the
User account folder, only the Username itself. The only solution there would
be to create a new user folder for yourself and copy the data from your
current one into it.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Note that one step not listed in the article is that after creating the
destination profile you must log into it once first to create the necessary
file structure before you do the copy procedure.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone