Who makes the Dell Color Laser Printers?

Anyone know who makes the Dell color laser printers, 3000cn and 5100cn? I
am looking for a new color laser printer and they got a good review in PC
World. Do they use only Dell branded toner cartridges like the inkjets?
Anyone have one that could share their experience? Thanks, Pat

Pat Conover
pat conover at comcast dot net

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

The Dell colour Lasers are made for them by Canon and I think Samsung (but
definatly Canon) and yes the cartridges are keyed so you must buy them off
Dell, at this moment in time anyway untill a compatable company thinks its
viable, although what counts as viable I dont know as Dell have sold over 5
million units both Inkjet and laser since they started selling printers.
"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Anyone know who makes the Dell color laser printers, 3000cn and 5100cn? I
> am looking for a new color laser printer and they got a good review in PC
> World. Do they use only Dell branded toner cartridges like the inkjets?
> Anyone have one that could share their experience? Thanks, Pat
>
> Pat Conover
> pat conover at comcast dot net

Thanks for the info Fixer. I checked out Samsung, Canon and HP, but none of
them appear to have a similar looking color laser printer. I couldn't find
any clues on the Dell web site either.

> Thanks for the info Fixer. I checked out Samsung, Canon and HP, but
> none of them appear to have a similar looking color laser printer.
> I couldn't find any clues on the Dell web site either.

Who said that printers made for Dell had to look like the printers
with the manufacturer's name on it? ;-)
Not all do!! When you are selling or giving away thousands of a model,
you can specify different body styles, so to speak. New body style -
think Dell!
Tom J

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Dell wont tell you who make the printers for them, trust me its who i say
and going to those manufacturesers for cartridges or compatables will not
work, you will be wasting your money if you buy themm and try to make em
work in a Dell
"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info Fixer. I checked out Samsung, Canon and HP, but none
> of them appear to have a similar looking color laser printer. I couldn't
> find any clues on the Dell web site either.
>
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> The Dell colour Lasers are made for them by Canon and I think Samsung
>> (but definatly Canon) and yes the cartridges are keyed so you must buy
>> them off Dell, at this moment in time anyway untill a compatable company
>> thinks its viable, although what counts as viable I dont know as Dell
>> have sold over 5 million units both Inkjet and laser since they started
>> selling printers.
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Anyone know who makes the Dell color laser printers, 3000cn and 5100cn?
>>> I am looking for a new color laser printer and they got a good review in
>>> PC World. Do they use only Dell branded toner cartridges like the
>>> inkjets? Anyone have one that could share their experience? Thanks, Pat
>>>
>>> Pat Conover
>>> pat conover at comcast dot net

Tom J and Fixer, I know that not all Dell printers would look like another
makers printer, but some of their earlier ones were simply rebadged and easy
to match up. As Fixer says, I have a problem with only being able to buy
toner, etc. from Dell, just like their other models. It's the old Gillette
razor theory at work again. I was hoping someone with one of these would
chime in too! Thanks for the info, Pat

> Dell wont tell you who make the printers for them, trust me its who i say
> and going to those manufacturesers for cartridges or compatables will not
> work, you will be wasting your money if you buy themm and try to make em
> work in a Dell
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the info Fixer. I checked out Samsung, Canon and HP, but none
>> of them appear to have a similar looking color laser printer. I couldn't
>> find any clues on the Dell web site either.
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> The Dell colour Lasers are made for them by Canon and I think Samsung
>>> (but definatly Canon) and yes the cartridges are keyed so you must buy
>>> them off Dell, at this moment in time anyway untill a compatable company
>>> thinks its viable, although what counts as viable I dont know as Dell
>>> have sold over 5 million units both Inkjet and laser since they started
>>> selling printers.
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

I have the 922 multi function Dell printer that Dell sent to me free
with the purchase of a 3000 computer for $349.00, after rebates, back
in November. The printer has now printed over 1,000 pages and the
pop-up window says it'll print over 500 more. I'm not as skeptical now
as I was the 1st page I printed and it said it only had 992 more pages
to print! I ordered another set of ink cartridges, and at the cost,
I'll be about 1/2 the cost per page over what I was paying to use my
HP printers. BTW, the same USB printer cable that was on my HP also
works with the Dell.

Tom J

> Tom J and Fixer, I know that not all Dell printers would look like
> another makers printer, but some of their earlier ones were simply
> rebadged and easy to match up. As Fixer says, I have a problem with
> only being able to buy toner, etc. from Dell, just like their other
> models. It's the old Gillette razor theory at work again. I was
> hoping someone with one of these would chime in too! Thanks for the
> info, Pat
>
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Dell wont tell you who make the printers for them, trust me its who
>> i say and going to those manufacturesers for cartridges or
>> compatables will not work, you will be wasting your money if you
>> buy themm and try to make em work in a Dell
>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the info Fixer. I checked out Samsung, Canon and HP,
>>> but none of them appear to have a similar looking color laser
>>> printer. I couldn't find any clues on the Dell web site either.
>>>
>>> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Tom J, I have read good reviews about the color lasers on CNet and PC World
and that's why I was interested. Also, a very reasonable price! The toner,
etc. also seems fairly reasonably priced right now, I just wonder about down
the road! My HP inkjets $$$ kill me and the cartridges are time stamped
with a use by date, so I can't stock up ahead. Thanks, Pat

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message
>I have the 922 multi function Dell printer that Dell sent to me free with
>the purchase of a 3000 computer for $349.00, after rebates, back in
>November. The printer has now printed over 1,000 pages and the pop-up
>window says it'll print over 500 more. I'm not as skeptical now as I was
>the 1st page I printed and it said it only had 992 more pages to print! I
>ordered another set of ink cartridges, and at the cost, I'll be about 1/2
>the cost per page over what I was paying to use my HP printers. BTW, the
>same USB printer cable that was on my HP also works with the Dell.
>
> Tom J
>
> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
>> Tom J and Fixer, I know that not all Dell printers would look like
>> another makers printer, but some of their earlier ones were simply
>> rebadged and easy to match up. As Fixer says, I have a problem with only
>> being able to buy toner, etc. from Dell, just like their other models.
>> It's the old Gillette razor theory at work again. I was hoping someone
>> with one of these would chime in too! Thanks for the info, Pat
>>
>> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Dell wont tell you who make the printers for them, trust me its who i
>>> say and going to those manufacturesers for cartridges or compatables
>>> will not work, you will be wasting your money if you buy themm and try
>>> to make em work in a Dell
>>> "Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message

Paul

Splendid

When Dell first starting doing printers, they were partnered with Lexmark.
I don't know if that is still true...

-- Paul

"Pat Conover" <pat conover at comcast dot net> wrote in message
> Anyone know who makes the Dell color laser printers, 3000cn and 5100cn? I
> am looking for a new color laser printer and they got a good review in PC
> World. Do they use only Dell branded toner cartridges like the inkjets?
> Anyone have one that could share their experience? Thanks, Pat
>
> Pat Conover
> pat conover at comcast dot net

LexO

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:47:30 -0500, "Paul" <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote:

>When Dell first starting doing printers, they were partnered with Lexmark.
>I don't know if that is still true...

Buying a Dell printer is dumb.
The specs are even lower then the brand name machine.
But if you get a 3 year warranty go for it.

<Lexo@gummob.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:47:30 -0500, "Paul"
> <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>When Dell first starting doing printers, they were partnered with
>>Lexmark.
>>I don't know if that is still true...
>>
> Buying a Dell printer is dumb.

My bet is the majority of the Dell printers in use arrived there just
like mine - free with other purchases. :)
Tom J
who knows all Dell printers aren't made by Lexmark and really doesn't
feel dumb

LexO

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:56:52 -0500, "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote:

><Lexo@gummob.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:47:30 -0500, "Paul"
>> <paule-nospam@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>>When Dell first starting doing printers, they were partnered with
>>>Lexmark.
>>>I don't know if that is still true...
>>>
>> Buying a Dell printer is dumb.
>
>My bet is the majority of the Dell printers in use arrived there just
>like mine - free with other purchases. :)

Where do you get your ink?
There is nothing 'free' about Dell printers.

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:56:52 -0500, "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com>
> wrote:
>

>><Lexo@gummob.com> wrote in message

>>> Buying a Dell printer is dumb.
>>
>>My bet is the majority of the Dell printers in use arrived there
>>just
>>like mine - free with other purchases. :)
>
> Where do you get your ink?
> There is nothing 'free' about Dell printers.

As I said in another post, this printer has already printed twice as
many pages as HP prints with a cartridge and it shows 500+ pages still
available to print. The cartridges are priced about the same as HP and
are shipped free. As far as I'm concerned, so for, it has been free,
because to date, I haven't used anything except what came with the
FREE printer. ;-)