CPU is dead for sure but what else is?

swtbobby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
I have a XP 1800 running on a Asus A7V266. Or I should say I had. Anyway I was changing the heatsink fan from a thermal orb back to the stock fan. Being lazy I didn't clean off the thermal paste that came on the stock HSF properly. There must have been a decent sized gap between the HSF and the CPU because the second I turned it on I could smell burning. Taking the HSF off I could really smell the CPU and could see little black marks right next to the core. Anyway I know for sure that the CPU is dead. But what about the motherboard? Is it likely that the MB is dead too? I noticed when I turned it on that the northbridge fan was not spinning. But I think that the NB fan may be CPU controlled so it would make sense that it wouldn't spin is the CPU was broken, could anyone varify this? Other than that all the other fans worked all the LEDS worked, but that is all I could tell without a working CPU. And if the motherboard is dead what else could have gone with it. Basically I am going to go to the store this morning and I need to know what to replace. If I could just buy a new CPU that would be great. I would prefer not to do a massive rehaul at this time because money is tight. And if the motherboard is dead and I put a new CPU in it will the new CPU get damaged? Thanks in advance.

JP5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
probably just the CPU is dead. of course your best bet is to buy a new CPU and try it out. then get a mb if you need to.

swtbobby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Well it was just the CPU. The northbridge fan must have went out before because it is still not spinning but my MB temps are at 30 C. So I am happy that is was just the CPU but a little pissed because my laziness cost me time and money. On the upside I have a slightly faster CPU (I went with the 2400 XP).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I reuse paste frequently, and have never burned a core. Are you certain you didn't mount a heatsink with the step (on the bottom) on the wrong side?

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
If AMD had incorporated a working thermal proteciton from the beginning you wouldn't have to buy a new CPU at all...good news the Athlon 64 finally has this issue fixed.

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Sorry, just had one of those moments ;) I used to really prefer AMD's products, lately I've been mostly angered by their bugs and mistakes (not that it was impossible for me to end up with an Intel processor again though).

My system: Intel Pentium 4 3.0, 800FSB / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / MSI 875P Neo / Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Western Digital Raptor / Hercules G.T XP /

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I have nothing against the products they produce - but I am getting more and more annoyed with their marketing department - they're doing themselves no favors. They should be happy being competitive in the low-mid range, and stop bothering to chase the top at all - they simply can't cut it at that end of the market anymore.

I'd still buy AMD if I was building a new system now, but <b>only</b> because I like overclocking stuff, and XP1700/1800 chips OC like the clappers... If I won the Lottery, I'd build a P4 system.

But anyway, this stuff's been debated to death... so I'll shut up.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

swtbobby

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah, I am 99.99% positive I put the heatsink on correctly. It was the stock fan that comes with that weakass thermal pad which is like 2-3cm thick. When you take the heatsink fan off you are suppose to remove all the all pad. I didn't and just put AS3 on the core. I think the leftover pad pushed the heatsink fan off the core slightly and hence a nice toasted 1800+. Anyway I notice that I am getting temps around 80 C under load with the 2400+. The system is has been rock solid and hasn't crashed but that just seems way hot. I actually maxed out at 83 C and AMD lists the limit at 85 C. But I think I should just leave well enough alone.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
80C sounds more like a mis-reported temperature to me than anything else. I've never heard of an AMD chip running stably at that temperature.

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
I have nothing against AMD either. I just don't like that they've been offering inferior products to a higher price.

My intents weren't to debate either. I just sympathized with the thread creator, that he got his CPU burned.