Explore Problem, still unsolved !

August 20, 2005 9:38:49 PM

Hi,

I have an annoying problem in Windows Explorer and where ever I look to
solve that problem, doesn't give me any answers..

Let's say, I insert a CD or DVD into my drive, Windows Explorer shows on
the left pane the D: drive with the CD-Title like that :

URU (D:)  ( it's a game, but it's the same behavior with any CD or
VD )

Now, if I take the CD or DVD out and insert another one ( data, DVD, empty
CD or DVD ) I can click on the drive letter see in the right pane what files
are on the CD or DVD, but the left pane stills shows " URU (D:)  " and does
NOT change or
refresh. I can exchange as many CD's or DVD's the title still stays at " URU
(D:)  " until I reboot my system.

No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
notebook ) will
help.

Running Win XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates installed. Also, the
system is virus, ad- and spyware free.

Any ideas ? Thanks for helping.

Tom
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:54:14 AM

[[Do not use Folder view in Windows Explorer.]]
Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314939

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:edPzziepFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
JCE <NOnjbSPAM@jumpingcholla.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> I have an annoying problem in Windows Explorer and where ever I look to
> solve that problem, doesn't give me any answers..
>
> Let's say, I insert a CD or DVD into my drive, Windows Explorer shows on
> the left pane the D: drive with the CD-Title like that :
>
> URU (D:)  ( it's a game, but it's the same behavior with any CD or
> VD )
>
> Now, if I take the CD or DVD out and insert another one ( data, DVD, empty
> CD or DVD ) I can click on the drive letter see in the right pane what
> files are on the CD or DVD, but the left pane stills shows " URU (D:)  "
> and does NOT change or
> refresh. I can exchange as many CD's or DVD's the title still stays at "
> URU (D:)  " until I reboot my system.
>
> No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
> notebook ) will
> help.
>
> Running Win XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates installed. Also, the
> system is virus, ad- and spyware free.
>
> Any ideas ? Thanks for helping.
>
> Tom
August 21, 2005 3:38:15 AM

JCE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an annoying problem in Windows Explorer and where ever I look to
> solve that problem, doesn't give me any answers..
>
> Let's say, I insert a CD or DVD into my drive, Windows Explorer shows on
> the left pane the D: drive with the CD-Title like that :
>
> URU (D:)  ( it's a game, but it's the same behavior with any CD or
> VD )
>
> Now, if I take the CD or DVD out and insert another one ( data, DVD, empty
> CD or DVD ) I can click on the drive letter see in the right pane what files
> are on the CD or DVD, but the left pane stills shows " URU (D:)  " and does
> NOT change or
> refresh. I can exchange as many CD's or DVD's the title still stays at " URU
> (D:)  " until I reboot my system.
>
> No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
> notebook ) will
> help.
>
> Running Win XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates installed. Also, the
> system is virus, ad- and spyware free.
>
> Any ideas ? Thanks for helping.
>
> Tom

It's a well known bug in XP. No real,consistent solutions.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Gotta love the solution to that one! :)  I've experienced this in every
version of Windows I've used (95, 98, ME, 2000, and XP) and could never find
a solution and have learned to live with it. I've always been curious as
why MS can't fix it but I just assumed it was the incompetence of MS's
developers.

> [[Do not use Folder view in Windows Explorer.]]
> Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314939
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:edPzziepFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> JCE <NOnjbSPAM@jumpingcholla.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an annoying problem in Windows Explorer and where ever I look to
> > solve that problem, doesn't give me any answers..
> >
> > Let's say, I insert a CD or DVD into my drive, Windows Explorer shows
on
> > the left pane the D: drive with the CD-Title like that :
> >
> > URU (D:)  ( it's a game, but it's the same behavior with any CD or
> > VD )
> >
> > Now, if I take the CD or DVD out and insert another one ( data, DVD,
empty
> > CD or DVD ) I can click on the drive letter see in the right pane what
> > files are on the CD or DVD, but the left pane stills shows " URU (D:)  "
> > and does NOT change or
> > refresh. I can exchange as many CD's or DVD's the title still stays at "
> > URU (D:)  " until I reboot my system.
> >
> > No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
> > notebook ) will
> > help.
> >
> > Running Win XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates installed. Also, the
> > system is virus, ad- and spyware free.
> >
> > Any ideas ? Thanks for helping.
> >
> > Tom

August 21, 2005 9:12:33 AM

JCE wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:

>No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
>notebook ) will help.

Hi Tom

Does physically switching away from the D: drive do anything?

What I mean is: with the focus on your D: drive in the left pane, use
the "down" cursor key to move down to the next folder or object in the
Explorer tree -- on my computer it's Control Panel.

Then eject the disk.

Now use the "up" cursor key to focus on the drive again. Does it still
say URU?

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

Hi,

thanks for answering. No, I don't use Folder View, and the work-around in
the article won't work. All the latest updates are installed.
Can't do a REFRESH or F5...nothing happen in the left pane. The right pane
changes to whatever is on the CD/DVD, but the label on the left is always
wrong, until I reboot !

Tom

> [[Do not use Folder view in Windows Explorer.]]
> Incorrect Contents Are Displayed in Windows Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314939
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:edPzziepFHA.1204@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> JCE <NOnjbSPAM@jumpingcholla.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an annoying problem in Windows Explorer and where ever I look to
>> solve that problem, doesn't give me any answers..
>>
>> Let's say, I insert a CD or DVD into my drive, Windows Explorer shows on
>> the left pane the D: drive with the CD-Title like that :
>>
>> URU (D:)  ( it's a game, but it's the same behavior with any CD or
>> VD )
>>
>> Now, if I take the CD or DVD out and insert another one ( data, DVD,
>> empty
>> CD or DVD ) I can click on the drive letter see in the right pane what
>> files are on the CD or DVD, but the left pane stills shows " URU (D:)  "
>> and does NOT change or
>> refresh. I can exchange as many CD's or DVD's the title still stays at "
>> URU (D:)  " until I reboot my system.
>>
>> No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
>> notebook ) will
>> help.
>>
>> Running Win XP Pro SP2 with all the latest updates installed. Also, the
>> system is virus, ad- and spyware free.
>>
>> Any ideas ? Thanks for helping.
>>
>> Tom

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 12:19:57 PM

Hi,

good suggestion, but it didn't do anything either. So far, ONLY rebooting
helps.

It was working before. The label on the left pane was showing "CDRW-DVD
(D:) " and when I inserted a CD or DVD it changed the label to "URU (D:) " and
when ejecting this CD, it switched back to "CDRW-DVD (D:) " !

Something happened, maybe a install I did, or a update I downloaded, etc.,
but I can't figure out what it is/was and I don't want to re-install
everything new.

Any other ideas ?

Thanks again,

Tom

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> JCE wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:
>
>>No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
>>notebook ) will help.
>
> Hi Tom
>
> Does physically switching away from the D: drive do anything?
>
> What I mean is: with the focus on your D: drive in the left pane, use the
> "down" cursor key to move down to the next folder or object in the
> Explorer tree -- on my computer it's Control Panel.
>
> Then eject the disk.
>
> Now use the "up" cursor key to focus on the drive again. Does it still say
> URU?
>
> --
> Nightowl
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:30:22 PM

Instead of rebooting, try killing and restarting explorer.exe.

To kill explorer and restart it.

Open the Task Manager...
Ctrl + Shift + Escape | Click on the Processes tab | Locate and highlight
explorer.exe | Right click explorer.exe | Click End Process | Click
Yes to the Task Manager Warning that pops up | Click File on the Toolbar |
Click New Task (Run...) | Type in: explorer | Click OK

End Process on explorer.exe will make your Desktop and all programs
disappear. This can be startling. Restarting explorer will bring
everything back.

This can fix/restore/reinitialize/refresh a lot of things.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eCndLPmpFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
JCE <NOnjbSPAM@jumpingcholla.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> good suggestion, but it didn't do anything either. So far, ONLY rebooting
> helps.
>
> It was working before. The label on the left pane was showing "CDRW-DVD
> (D:) " and when I inserted a CD or DVD it changed the label to "URU (D:) "
> and when ejecting this CD, it switched back to "CDRW-DVD (D:) " !
>
> Something happened, maybe a install I did, or a update I downloaded, etc.,
> but I can't figure out what it is/was and I don't want to re-install
> everything new.
>
> Any other ideas ?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Tom
>

> "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>> JCE wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:
>>
>>> No refresh, no F5, no eject, not even physically removing the drive (
>>> notebook ) will help.
>>
>> Hi Tom
>>
>> Does physically switching away from the D: drive do anything?
>>
>> What I mean is: with the focus on your D: drive in the left pane, use the
>> "down" cursor key to move down to the next folder or object in the
>> Explorer tree -- on my computer it's Control Panel.
>>
>> Then eject the disk.
>>
>> Now use the "up" cursor key to focus on the drive again. Does it still
>> say URU?
>>
>> --
>> Nightowl
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 3:30:23 PM

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind. But as of now, my problem is fixed ( see
thread above ).

Tom

> Instead of rebooting, try killing and restarting explorer.exe.
>
> To kill explorer and restart it.
>
> Open the Task Manager...
> Ctrl + Shift + Escape | Click on the Processes tab | Locate and highlight
> explorer.exe | Right click explorer.exe | Click End Process | Click
> Yes to the Task Manager Warning that pops up | Click File on the Toolbar |
> Click New Task (Run...) | Type in: explorer | Click OK
>
> End Process on explorer.exe will make your Desktop and all programs
> disappear. This can be startling. Restarting explorer will bring
> everything back.
>
> This can fix/restore/reinitialize/refresh a lot of things.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:eCndLPmpFHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> JCE <NOnjbSPAM@jumpingcholla.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi,
>>
>> good suggestion, but it didn't do anything either. So far, ONLY rebooting
>> helps.
>>
>> It was working before. The label on the left pane was showing "CDRW-DVD
>> (D:) " and when I inserted a CD or DVD it changed the label to "URU (D:) "
>> and when ejecting this CD, it switched back to "CDRW-DVD (D:) " !
>>
>> Something happened, maybe a install I did, or a update I downloaded,
>> etc.,
>> but I can't figure out what it is/was and I don't want to re-install
>> everything new.
>>
>> Any other ideas ?
>>
>> Thanks again,
>>
>> Tom
>>

>> "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

>>> Hi Tom
>>>
>>> Does physically switching away from the D: drive do anything?
>>>
>>> What I mean is: with the focus on your D: drive in the left pane, use
>>> the
>>> "down" cursor key to move down to the next folder or object in the
>>> Explorer tree -- on my computer it's Control Panel.
>>>
>>> Then eject the disk.
>>>
>>> Now use the "up" cursor key to focus on the drive again. Does it still
>>> say URU?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nightowl

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:13:03 PM

Do you have access to the content of the CD / DVD?
If yes then live with this bug as it's not important at all!
If not then go to the top of the window, there is an address box, type the
letter of the drive and :, press enter and you'll access your drive content.
Windows produces a huge amount of bad display here and there, what is
important is that you can work with your files, nothing else.

Hope it helps.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:37:35 PM

Hi,

thanks for the reply, but I don't see it that way !

I don't like a car what DRIVES, but where the breaks are bad or the gas tank
is leaking ! :)

But anyway, the problem is solved due to Nightowl's suggestion with the
registry key !

Tom

"ep" <ep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do you have access to the content of the CD / DVD?
> If yes then live with this bug as it's not important at all!
> If not then go to the top of the window, there is an address box, type the
> letter of the drive and :, press enter and you'll access your drive
> content.
> Windows produces a huge amount of bad display here and there, what is
> important is that you can work with your files, nothing else.
>
> Hope it helps.
August 21, 2005 10:20:07 PM

JCE wrote on Sun, 21 Aug 2005:

>good suggestion, but it didn't do anything either. So far, ONLY rebooting
>helps.

How frustrating!

>It was working before. The label on the left pane was showing "CDRW-DVD
>(D:) " and when I inserted a CD or DVD it changed the label to "URU (D:) " and
>when ejecting this CD, it switched back to "CDRW-DVD (D:) " !
>
>Something happened, maybe a install I did, or a update I downloaded, etc.,
>but I can't figure out what it is/was and I don't want to re-install
>everything new.
>
>Any other ideas ?

You've probably tried this, but what about closing Explorer and opening
another instance? Does it still see the "old" disk?

Open Regedit and navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom
Look for the value Autorun and make sure it is set to 1.
If not, change and reboot.

Other than that: delete your drive in Device Manager, reboot and let
Windows redetect it?

--
Nightowl
!