can't use scanner with windows xp.

Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.
8 answers Last reply
More about scanner windows

    Do you want my old scanner? It's out in my garage. No XP drivers.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1124587948.984075.197360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    rewindforward@hotmail.com <rewindforward@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
    > it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.

    This is the way with old scanners.. it is the only option left when
    manufacturers fail to produce drivers..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    rewindforward wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:

    >Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
    >it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.

    Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp

    Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.

    Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model,
    isn't it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able
    to "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is
    concerned, and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a
    cheap cable on Ebay.

    This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
    scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
    along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
    cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c".
    The existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to
    1999!) also works fine.

    It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs
    have suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you
    already have a perfectly good scanner.

    I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
    comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
    find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
    scanner without XP drivers.

    Good luck!

    --
    Nightowl

    I have an older Mustek 1200USB and it worked with Win2K drivers and a
    FIXWINXP utility from Mustek.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > rewindforward wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:
    >
    >>Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
    >>it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.
    >>

    > Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
    > http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp
    >
    > Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.
    >
    > Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model, isn't
    > it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able to
    > "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is concerned,
    > and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a cheap cable
    > on Ebay.
    >
    > This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
    > scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
    > along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
    > cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c". The
    > existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to 1999!)
    > also works fine.
    >
    > It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs have
    > suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you already
    > have a perfectly good scanner.
    >
    > I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
    > comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
    > find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
    > scanner without XP drivers.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > --
    > Nightowl

    Kenny

    How well does it work.. they are low resolution by today's standards, slow,
    and the control software that worked with Windows 3.1/95 will not work with
    XP.. OK, so you can get workaround drivers if you try hard enough.. there
    are new scanners available that are really quite cheap, and will be way
    better and more manageable..

    Maybe it's me, but I just can't get sentimentally attached to pieces of old
    computer junk that will only cause frustration in use.. Wesley has the right
    idea, kinda, sorta.. wrap it up in cotton wool and place it next to the
    Vic-20..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >I have an older Mustek 1200USB and it worked with Win2K drivers and a
    >FIXWINXP utility from Mustek.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Kenny Cargill
    >

    > "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    >> rewindforward wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:
    >>
    >>>Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
    >>>it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.
    >>>

    >> Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
    >> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp
    >>
    >> Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.
    >>
    >> Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model, isn't
    >> it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able to
    >> "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is concerned,
    >> and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a cheap cable
    >> on Ebay.
    >>
    >> This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
    >> scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
    >> along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
    >> cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c". The
    >> existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to 1999!)
    >> also works fine.
    >>
    >> It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs
    >> have suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you
    >> already have a perfectly good scanner.
    >>
    >> I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
    >> comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
    >> find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
    >> scanner without XP drivers.
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Nightowl

    How dare you call my scanner computer junk, it was made for Win98!
    Seriously though it still works well enough for the few times I use a
    scanner.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    > Kenny
    >
    > How well does it work.. they are low resolution by today's standards,
    > slow, and the control software that worked with Windows 3.1/95 will not
    > work with XP.. OK, so you can get workaround drivers if you try hard
    > enough.. there are new scanners available that are really quite cheap, and
    > will be way better and more manageable..
    >
    > Maybe it's me, but I just can't get sentimentally attached to pieces of
    > old computer junk that will only cause frustration in use.. Wesley has the
    > right idea, kinda, sorta.. wrap it up in cotton wool and place it next to
    > the Vic-20..
    >
    > --
    > Mike Hall
    > MVP - Windows Shell/User
    >

    > "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >>I have an older Mustek 1200USB and it worked with Win2K drivers and a
    >>FIXWINXP utility from Mustek.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Kenny Cargill
    >>

    >> "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

    >>> Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
    >>> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp
    >>>
    >>> Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>> Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model,
    >>> isn't it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able
    >>> to "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is
    >>> concerned, and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a
    >>> cheap cable on Ebay.
    >>>
    >>> This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
    >>> scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
    >>> along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
    >>> cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c".
    >>> The existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to
    >>> 1999!) also works fine.
    >>>
    >>> It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs
    >>> have suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you
    >>> already have a perfectly good scanner.
    >>>
    >>> I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
    >>> comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
    >>> find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
    >>> scanner without XP drivers.
    >>>
    >>> Good luck!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Nightowl

    yeah I noticed it doesn't have USB.. didn't know they had converter
    cords for the printer cable. I'll try that.. Yesterday I was able to
    use it with a nt9630p.exe driver but the color's all screwed.. however
    it works in b/w but the photoshop might just close down all of a sudden
    when trying to save files. So screw that.. I just put the scanner away.
    I'll look into that converter cable though if I have to scan something
    in the future.
  8. this works but is a lot of troble; at least you can do all in xp you could
    do in w98..
    first install windows 98, then install your old programs for hp 4c scanner,
    and make sure it works ok..
    then install xp, the files from 98 will carry over and will work with xp.

    don

Windows XP Microsoft Scanners