can't use scanner with windows xp.

Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.

Do you want my old scanner? It's out in my garage. No XP drivers.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:1124587948.984075.197360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
rewindforward@hotmail.com <rewindforward@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
> Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
> it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.

This is the way with old scanners.. it is the only option left when
manufacturers fail to produce drivers..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

<rewindforward@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
> it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

rewindforward wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:

>Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
>it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.

Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp

Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.

Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model,
isn't it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able
to "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is
concerned, and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a
cheap cable on Ebay.

This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c".
The existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to
1999!) also works fine.

It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs
have suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you
already have a perfectly good scanner.

I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
scanner without XP drivers.

Good luck!

--
Nightowl

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

I have an older Mustek 1200USB and it worked with Win2K drivers and a
FIXWINXP utility from Mustek.

--

Kenny Cargill

"Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
> rewindforward wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:
>
>>Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
>>it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.
>>

> Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp
>
> Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.
>
> Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model, isn't
> it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able to
> "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is concerned,
> and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a cheap cable
> on Ebay.
>
> This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
> scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
> along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
> cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c". The
> existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to 1999!)
> also works fine.
>
> It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs have
> suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you already
> have a perfectly good scanner.
>
> I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
> comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
> find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
> scanner without XP drivers.
>
> Good luck!
>
> --
> Nightowl

Kenny

How well does it work.. they are low resolution by today's standards, slow,
and the control software that worked with Windows 3.1/95 will not work with
XP.. OK, so you can get workaround drivers if you try hard enough.. there
are new scanners available that are really quite cheap, and will be way
better and more manageable..

Maybe it's me, but I just can't get sentimentally attached to pieces of old
computer junk that will only cause frustration in use.. Wesley has the right
idea, kinda, sorta.. wrap it up in cotton wool and place it next to the
Vic-20..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>I have an older Mustek 1200USB and it worked with Win2K drivers and a
>FIXWINXP utility from Mustek.
>
> --
>
> Kenny Cargill
>

> "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
>> rewindforward wrote on Sat, 20 Aug 2005:
>>
>>>Plustec OpticPro FBIVP scanner but from what I can tell I have to put
>>>it in the garbage because there's no drivers for windows xp. Fun.
>>>

>> Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
>> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp
>>
>> Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.
>>
>> Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model, isn't
>> it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able to
>> "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is concerned,
>> and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a cheap cable
>> on Ebay.
>>
>> This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
>> scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
>> along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
>> cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c". The
>> existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to 1999!)
>> also works fine.
>>
>> It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs
>> have suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you
>> already have a perfectly good scanner.
>>
>> I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
>> comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
>> find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
>> scanner without XP drivers.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> --
>> Nightowl

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

How dare you call my scanner computer junk, it was made for Win98!
Seriously though it still works well enough for the few times I use a
scanner.

--

Kenny Cargill

> Kenny
>
> How well does it work.. they are low resolution by today's standards,
> slow, and the control software that worked with Windows 3.1/95 will not
> work with XP.. OK, so you can get workaround drivers if you try hard
> enough.. there are new scanners available that are really quite cheap, and
> will be way better and more manageable..
>
> Maybe it's me, but I just can't get sentimentally attached to pieces of
> old computer junk that will only cause frustration in use.. Wesley has the
> right idea, kinda, sorta.. wrap it up in cotton wool and place it next to
> the Vic-20..
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>

> "Kenny" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>>I have an older Mustek 1200USB and it worked with Win2K drivers and a
>>FIXWINXP utility from Mustek.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Kenny Cargill
>>

>> "Nightowl" <owl@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

>>> Not necessarily. You may still be able to use it; see here
>>> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/scanner/plustek/plustek.htm#winxp
>>>
>>> Look at Possible Workaround under Windows XP.
>>>
>>> Another possibility: I think your scanner is a parallel port model,
>>> isn't it? If you use a parallel-to-USB converter cable you may be able
>>> to "disguise" your scanner as a newer USB model, as far as XP is
>>> concerned, and use a driver for that model. You may be able to pick up a
>>> cheap cable on Ebay.
>>>
>>> This is more or less what I did: I have an old HP 4c scanner which HP
>>> scandalously abandoned, along with a heap of other models, when XP came
>>> along. Mine had a SCSI interface and I ended up buying a SCSI-to-USB
>>> cable. It now works fine in XP and is detected as "HP 6100 or 4c/3c".
>>> The existing scanning/copying etc. software from HP (dating back to
>>> 1999!) also works fine.
>>>
>>> It may be less trouble to throw it out and buy a new one, as the MVPs
>>> have suggested, but I think it's a dreadful waste of resources when you
>>> already have a perfectly good scanner.
>>>
>>> I see you are posting from Google; may I recommend you post to the group
>>> comp.periphs.scanners and ask for detailed advice there? You'll probably
>>> find some people who have been faced with the same problem of a Plustek
>>> scanner without XP drivers.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nightowl

yeah I noticed it doesn't have USB.. didn't know they had converter
cords for the printer cable. I'll try that.. Yesterday I was able to
use it with a nt9630p.exe driver but the color's all screwed.. however
it works in b/w but the photoshop might just close down all of a sudden
when trying to save files. So screw that.. I just put the scanner away.
I'll look into that converter cable though if I have to scan something
in the future.

fluffy33

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
this works but is a lot of troble; at least you can do all in xp you could
do in w98..
first install windows 98, then install your old programs for hp 4c scanner,
and make sure it works ok..
then install xp, the files from 98 will carry over and will work with xp.

don