4600: Maximum size of 2nd hard drive?

Hello. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop that came shipped
with a 160GB SATA Western Digital hard drive. I wanted to install
a second SATA drive, so I bought a Hitachi 250GB SATA drive and put
it into the second bay and hooked it in. I have also updated the BIOS
to the current version A12.

I cannot seem to get BIOS/WinXP to recognize the new drive. In BIOS,
I selected the "Secondary SATA Drive" to be AUTO (it was OFF
previously). BIOS responds by saying the drive has an unrecognizable
format.

Anyone know what the problem is? My guesses:

(1) The Dimension 4600 cannot handle a 250GB sized drive
(2) I have the BIOS parameters chosen incorrectly
(3) The hard drive isn't hooked up correctly (there are no jumpers
with SATA so I can't hardly see how this could possibly be the case)

Has anyone installed a SATA drive as large as 250GB on their Dimension
4600s? (clone or otherwise)

Thanks,
JB

"Joe Blow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Hello. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop that came shipped
> with a 160GB SATA Western Digital hard drive. I wanted to install
> a second SATA drive, so I bought a Hitachi 250GB SATA drive and put
> it into the second bay and hooked it in. I have also updated the BIOS
> to the current version A12.
>
> I cannot seem to get BIOS/WinXP to recognize the new drive. In BIOS,
> I selected the "Secondary SATA Drive" to be AUTO (it was OFF previously).
> BIOS responds by saying the drive has an unrecognizable
> format.
>
> Anyone know what the problem is? My guesses:
>
> (1) The Dimension 4600 cannot handle a 250GB sized drive
> (2) I have the BIOS parameters chosen incorrectly
> (3) The hard drive isn't hooked up correctly (there are no jumpers
> with SATA so I can't hardly see how this could possibly be the case)
>

> Has anyone installed a SATA drive as large as 250GB on their Dimension
> 4600s? (clone or otherwise)
>
> Thanks,
> JB

How does the BIOS report this? Are you sure you don't just have to
Partition and Format it?

Clearly the machine can support the drive. Even my 4550 supports 250GB
drives.

Tom

> "Joe Blow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hello. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop that came shipped
>> with a 160GB SATA Western Digital hard drive. I wanted to install
>> a second SATA drive, so I bought a Hitachi 250GB SATA drive and put
>> it into the second bay and hooked it in. I have also updated the BIOS
>> to the current version A12.
>>
>> I cannot seem to get BIOS/WinXP to recognize the new drive. In BIOS,
>> I selected the "Secondary SATA Drive" to be AUTO (it was OFF previously).
>> BIOS responds by saying the drive has an unrecognizable
>> format.
>>
>> Anyone know what the problem is? My guesses:
>>
>> (1) The Dimension 4600 cannot handle a 250GB sized drive
>> (2) I have the BIOS parameters chosen incorrectly
>> (3) The hard drive isn't hooked up correctly (there are no jumpers
>> with SATA so I can't hardly see how this could possibly be the case)
>>

>> Has anyone installed a SATA drive as large as 250GB on their Dimension
>> 4600s? (clone or otherwise)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> JB
>

> How does the BIOS report this? Are you sure you don't just have to
> Partition and Format it?
>
> Clearly the machine can support the drive. Even my 4550 supports 250GB
> drives.
>
> Tom

The system BIOS should at least recognize the drive by make and model number
as long as auto-detect is enabled. Swap SATA cables with the original drive
and re-enter BIOS (might swap power connects as well, just to be sure one
isn't flaky). Also verify that any drive jumpers are in place, perhaps.

Could also ALT+F default the BIOS and force IDE configuration upon exiting
and see what happens.... ?

Stew

S.Lewis wrote:

>>"Joe Blow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hello. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop that came shipped
>>>with a 160GB SATA Western Digital hard drive. I wanted to install
>>>a second SATA drive, so I bought a Hitachi 250GB SATA drive and put
>>>it into the second bay and hooked it in. I have also updated the BIOS
>>>to the current version A12.
>>>
>>>I cannot seem to get BIOS/WinXP to recognize the new drive. In BIOS,
>>>I selected the "Secondary SATA Drive" to be AUTO (it was OFF previously).
>>>BIOS responds by saying the drive has an unrecognizable
>>>format.
>>>
>>>Anyone know what the problem is? My guesses:
>>>
>>>(1) The Dimension 4600 cannot handle a 250GB sized drive
>>>(2) I have the BIOS parameters chosen incorrectly
>>>(3) The hard drive isn't hooked up correctly (there are no jumpers
>>>with SATA so I can't hardly see how this could possibly be the case)
>>>

>>>Has anyone installed a SATA drive as large as 250GB on their Dimension
>>>4600s? (clone or otherwise)
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>JB
>>

>>How does the BIOS report this? Are you sure you don't just have to
>>Partition and Format it?
>>
>>Clearly the machine can support the drive. Even my 4550 supports 250GB
>>drives.
>>
>>Tom
>>

> The system BIOS should at least recognize the drive by make and model number
> as long as auto-detect is enabled. Swap SATA cables with the original drive
> and re-enter BIOS (might swap power connects as well, just to be sure one
> isn't flaky). Also verify that any drive jumpers are in place, perhaps.
>
> Could also ALT+F default the BIOS and force IDE configuration upon exiting
> and see what happens.... ?
>

> Stew

Thanks you guys. I tried your suggestions.

First of all, I don't have the option of switching the power cables,
because there are two types (SATA and Legacy) and my 4600 came only
with 1 of the SATA type (I think) and 4 of the Legacy type (I may
have this reversed; this type is has a 4-pin connection). The original,
primary hard drive used the SATA type power connection. This is a
Western Digital 160GB drive.

The best I could do was switch the connectors to the motherboard. This
made no difference whatsoever. In fact, I'm currently running the
machine with the other motherboard connector in the primary hard drive,
and it's working fine, so this connection cannot be the problem.

I am truly at a loss as to why this second hard drive is not recognized.
When I set the secondary drive to "AUTO" instead of "OFF" in BIOS, the
BIOS says the drive is "unknown."

One question -- suppose I tried to put in a hard drive that is too large
for the motherboard to handle, say 500GB. Would BIOS say that the drive
is "unknown"? I mean, does BIOS reject the inappropriate drive
outright, or would the drive still be recognized in general, but I just
wouldn't be able to format all of it?

Thanks for the help.

JB

"Joe Blow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> I am truly at a loss as to why this second hard drive is not recognized.
> When I set the secondary drive to "AUTO" instead of "OFF" in BIOS, the
> BIOS says the drive is "unknown."
>
> One question -- suppose I tried to put in a hard drive that is too large
> for the motherboard to handle, say 500GB. Would BIOS say that the drive
> is "unknown"? I mean, does BIOS reject the inappropriate drive outright,
> or would the drive still be recognized in general, but I just
> wouldn't be able to format all of it?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> JB

Unknown is normal. That's the way they show up on all my machines. Then
you just reboot and partition and format.

Tom

> "Joe Blow" <joseph_blow16@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>> I am truly at a loss as to why this second hard drive is not recognized.
>> When I set the secondary drive to "AUTO" instead of "OFF" in BIOS, the
>> BIOS says the drive is "unknown."
>>
>> One question -- suppose I tried to put in a hard drive that is too large
>> for the motherboard to handle, say 500GB. Would BIOS say that the drive
>> is "unknown"? I mean, does BIOS reject the inappropriate drive outright,
>> or would the drive still be recognized in general, but I just
>> wouldn't be able to format all of it?
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> JB
>
> Unknown is normal. That's the way they show up on all my machines. Then
> you just reboot and partition and format.
>
> Tom

There is indeed a second SATA power connector on the power harness. That
machine as a "Y" adapter off of the main PS harness with two SATA connects.

If the drive remains an "Unknown device", the drive could be bad, or the
SATA (blue) cable, or the power connect - or something is not plugged
properly.

Stew

Format the new drive!

"Kenneth J. Harris" <kharris@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote in message
> Format the new drive!

Partitioning or formatting the new drive should have nothing to do with BIOS
recognizing it.

Stew

Joe Blow wrote:

> Hello. I have a Dell Dimension 4600 desktop that came shipped
> with a 160GB SATA Western Digital hard drive. I wanted to install
> a second SATA drive, so I bought a Hitachi 250GB SATA drive and put
> it into the second bay and hooked it in. I have also updated the BIOS
> to the current version A12.
>
> I cannot seem to get BIOS/WinXP to recognize the new drive. In BIOS,
> I selected the "Secondary SATA Drive" to be AUTO (it was OFF
> previously). BIOS responds by saying the drive has an unrecognizable
> format.
>
> Anyone know what the problem is? My guesses:
>
> (1) The Dimension 4600 cannot handle a 250GB sized drive
> (2) I have the BIOS parameters chosen incorrectly
> (3) The hard drive isn't hooked up correctly (there are no jumpers
> with SATA so I can't hardly see how this could possibly be the case)
>

> Has anyone installed a SATA drive as large as 250GB on their Dimension
> 4600s? (clone or otherwise)
>
> Thanks,
> JB

Problem solved. It must have been a bad drive. I tried out another one
with 250GB capacity and it worked just fine. However, I noted that my
Dell 4600 claimed the maximum drive size it could partition was
something like 236.7GB, so I lose 13+ GB for some reason or another.

It's pretty funny when I think back to 1998. At that time I spend a
thousand bucks for a machine with a 6GB hard drive. Now I'm unfazed
in the slightest at losing 13 gigs!

JB

You're just seeing the difference in Windows and drive manufacturers. 236
GB done in proper base 2 math = 250,000..... bytes (you get the idea).

Tom

Tom Scales wrote:

> You're just seeing the difference in Windows and drive manufacturers. 236
> GB done in proper base 2 math = 250,000..... bytes (you get the idea).
>
> Tom

Whoops! Forgot about that. Thanks.

I guess it can be said that with my Dell 4600, at least, the maximum
drive size is 250GB. I wasn't really sure about that before.

JB