Installation problem

August 20, 2005 10:46:01 PM

Last night I bought a new copy of XP Home Ed. When I tried to install it on
my system, there was a power failure and the computer went down near the end
of the install. I was able to boot with an Emergency Windows ME startup disk
and rolled back the system to Windows ME. Before I reinstall XP I want to
clear up an error that happens when the computer now boots in ME. After the
system boots the following lines appear:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed install
Cancel XP Install

I would like to clear this error screen before I proceed with a fresh
install. Does anyone know how to do this?

More about : installation problem

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 1:36:06 AM

"rohit" <rohit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

|>Last night I bought a new copy of XP Home Ed. When I tried to install it on
|>my system, there was a power failure and the computer went down near the end
|>of the install. I was able to boot with an Emergency Windows ME startup disk
|>and rolled back the system to Windows ME. Before I reinstall XP I want to
|>clear up an error that happens when the computer now boots in ME. After the
|>system boots the following lines appear:
|>
|>Microsoft Windows XP Home Ed install
|>Cancel XP Install
|>
|>I would like to clear this error screen before I proceed with a fresh
|>install. Does anyone know how to do this?

Edit your C:\boot.ini file - remove the offending line.

Boot.ini is hidden and read only, you might need to change your
settings to edit it.