Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated version. Is
it possible to purchase a genuine version and install over the top of
current version I do I have to reformat the drive and start all over
again.?????

TIA

Regards Ken

You'll have to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Pro
and proceed with a "Repair Install".

http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Ken.H" wrote:

| Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated version. Is
| it possible to purchase a genuine version and install over the top of
| current version I do I have to reformat the drive and start all over
| again.?????
|
| TIA
|
| Regards Ken

You may change the product key only to avoid hassles. But I would prefer for
a clean reinstall.
To change the product key you may see this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;328874
Its intended for Volume license but there is nothing difference in doing
that in any other version.
Just you have to avoid the phoning to MS cutomer service as you got the
valid new key already.

--
Regards,
Pramit Roy

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 13:11:34 +1000, "Ken.H" <nomail@net-tech.com.au>
wrote:

>Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated version. Is
>it possible to purchase a genuine version and install over the top of
>current version I do I have to reformat the drive and start all over
>again.?????
>
>TIA
>
>Regards Ken

Are you sure it is not a valid version?
If it is a valid version you can talk to Microsoft fix the problem
because it a windows update failure

Just because wga say's it not a valid version does not mean it is not
a valid version.

Greg Ro

Ken.H wrote:
> Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated
> version.

How have you found that out? You do know that Validation is flawed and
has found legit Installs of XP as "pirated?"

Personally, I wouldn't believe MS to tell me the correct time, let alone
whether my OS is pirated.

> Is it possible to purchase a genuine version and install
> over the top of current version I do I have to reformat the drive and
> start all over again.?????

Depends.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Can't you just change the Key to the new key (if your getting a new copy)?

> You'll have to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Pro
> and proceed with a "Repair Install".
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "Ken.H" wrote:
>
> | Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated version.
Is
> | it possible to purchase a genuine version and install over the top of
> | current version I do I have to reformat the drive and start all over
> | again.?????
> |
> | TIA
> |
> | Regards Ken

Alias

Or the OP can buy an OEM and do a clean install and save him or herself some
money.

Alias
"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote
> You'll have to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP Pro
> and proceed with a "Repair Install".
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.­com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Ken.H" wrote:
>
> | Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated version.
> Is
> | it possible to purchase a genuine version and install over the top of
> | current version I do I have to reformat the drive and start all over
> | again.?????
> |
> | TIA
> |
> | Regards Ken

No. You must perform a "Repair Install".

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

" JCO" wrote:

| Can't you just change the Key to the new key (if your getting a new copy)?

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

|>No. You must perform a "Repair Install".

Can't you just delete the wpa.cpl, then run msoobe.exe?

No.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Pennywise" wrote:

| Can't you just delete the wpa.cpl, then run msoobe.exe?
| --

begin  trojan.vbs ... On Saturday 20 August 2005 08:11 pm, Ken.H had this
to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated version. Is
> it possible to purchase a genuine version and install over the top of
> current version I do I have to reformat the drive and start all over
> again.?????
>
> TIA
>
> Regards Ken

And how did you discover this? Was the fact that it was labelled with a
sharpie give you a clue? :)

--
Have you been MicroShafted today?
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work *at* it.

I'm going to disagree with you because I had to do this already.
I took my new key and had to enter it into the Update XP KEY.
Then I Stopped the OOBETIMER (instructions where were found somewhere on
the Microsoft site). This causes the Activation dialog to come up allowing
this process to continue.

This whole process took 5- minutes (and it worked)

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 14:03:21 GMT, NoStop <nostop@stopspam.com> wrote:

>begin  trojan.vbs ... On Saturday 20 August 2005 08:11 pm, Ken.H had this
>to say in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> Hi I have just found my copy of Windows XP Pro yo be a pirated version. Is
>> it possible to purchase a genuine version and install over the top of
>> current version I do I have to reformat the drive and start all over
>> again.?????
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Regards Ken
>
>And how did you discover this? Was the fact that it was labelled with a
>sharpie give you a clue? :)

That's pretty mean spirited, even if it is funny.

However, there is an alternative scenario that happens far too often.

Perhaps this person had his machine built by a friend who makes
computers (I've done this before for a couple of my buddies). The
friend installs XP on the system with THEIR pirated version, then
hands over the hardware but not the CD containing the OS.

Now how does the recipient know the OS was pirated? Common sense may
tell them this (as they didn't have to pay for the OS), but many folks
still operate under the belief they can place Windows on as many
computers as they want.