Sign in with
Your question

KT400 chipset

Last response: in CPUs
July 2, 2003 9:47:50 PM

Ok for those that have been helping me I finally decided on the Athlon 2800 Barton.For those who haven't I'm building a new pc and I have done it before but never with anything newer than the age of the pentium 166 MMX. I need input on the VIA KT400 chipset. I'm looking at the ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard to go with it. I will be using this system for gaming, networking, and overclocking.

More about : kt400 chipset

July 2, 2003 10:21:26 PM

* Select a motherboard with the nForce2 chipset. It's the superior chipset. And because you're overclocking, that is all the more reason to go with the nforce2 chipset because there is no fear of running the PCI bus out of spec.

* Because of the planned usage for this system, I recommend Epox 8RDA+ or Abit NF7-S.

<b><font color=blue>Logic over all.</font color=blue></b>
July 2, 2003 11:45:53 PM

Just built a couple of systems on the KT400. Not bad. Not as fast as the nForce2, but nothing that you'd notice in the real world and you can save some cash by not having to purchase two sticks of RAM. I would use it again for someone on a budget. If you've found the board that offers the features you want at the price you're comfortable with, go for it.
-Brett
Related resources
July 3, 2003 8:10:55 AM

I agree with you. I've ran both boards the A7V8X & the A7N8X Deluxe v 2.0. The Nforce got 1700 more 3Dmarks right off the bat. So for a budget VIA, for speed Nforce.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!
July 3, 2003 8:21:19 AM

You don't <i>have</i> to use 2 sticks of RAM - you'll just get the performance benifits of Dual Channel RAM if you do.

I would also recommend the Epox 8RDA+ - Good overclocking features, excellent on-board sound, built in LAN - everything you say you'll need. They're not even Much more expensive than KT400 boards - especially if you include the fact you'd need an add-in sound card to get good sound with a KT400.

I assume the Abit board is similar, but I've recently built 2 systems around the Epox board, and been very happy with them.

[EDIT]
incidentally, if you're overclocking, it might be worth looking at the Barton 2500+ instead of the 2800+. Save a few bucks, and the two chips would probably OC to about the same speed, on average.
[/EDIT]

---
$hit Happens. I just wish it would happen to someone else for a change.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChipDeath on 07/03/03 09:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 3, 2003 8:30:09 AM

Both of my ASUS boards have on board sound.

Honey, what's that smell? Don't bother me now I'm working on my computer! OOPS!
!