Modem removed by computer shop???

August 21, 2005 1:37:01 AM

I'm probably going to sound like a newbie, but here goes.....The computer
shop recently formatted my computer and installed Windows XP Home with SP2,
anyway when I got my computer back I was missing a modem which according to a
printout I had done previously was a HSP56 MR. I called this shop to ask
them why they had removed this modem when all that was asked of them was to
format and install Windows XP Home on my computer. They had removed this
without my permission...Their excuse for doing this was that the modem was
virtually useless because the XP Home with SP2 rendered it
incompatible??????? And that most ISP's don't even recognize them
anymore????? This from the very same computer shop who sold me a computer
with a pirated version of XP...

What should I do about this?
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 1:59:52 AM

"Newbie_Donna" <Newbie_Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm probably going to sound like a newbie, but here goes.....The computer
> shop recently formatted my computer and installed Windows XP Home with
> SP2,
> anyway when I got my computer back I was missing a modem which according
> to a
> printout I had done previously was a HSP56 MR. I called this shop to ask
> them why they had removed this modem when all that was asked of them was
> format and install Windows XP Home on my computer. They had removed this
> without my permission...Their excuse for doing this was that the modem was
> virtually useless because the XP Home with SP2 rendered it
> incompatible??????? And that most ISP's don't even recognize them
> anymore????? This from the very same computer shop who sold me a computer
> with a pirated version of XP...
>
> What should I do about this?

The modem may still be installed in your computer. They may simply be
incompetent and didn't install the driver for it.

Kerry
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:17:01 AM

Thanks for replying Kerry, but no, it has been removed from my computer, they
told me basically that it was "extra parts" I didn't need. I'm not very good
with the tech part of computers, but according to the printout I had done
before taking it in, there was a modem there, and I got it back without one
according to my computer information, something I guess sort of told me not
to trust them....haha...guess I was right. Anyway, I had my nephew confirm
that this modem was indeed missing and just not installed before I phoned the
shop.
These same techs had installed a pirated copy of XP and at the time, I
really didn't know any different until recently when I could no longer do
upgrades because I couldn't supply a product key....I do have a valid disk
and product key now, and sticker.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Newbie_Donna" <Newbie_Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm probably going to sound like a newbie, but here goes.....The computer
> > shop recently formatted my computer and installed Windows XP Home with
> > SP2,
> > anyway when I got my computer back I was missing a modem which according
> > to a
> > printout I had done previously was a HSP56 MR. I called this shop to ask
> > them why they had removed this modem when all that was asked of them was
> > format and install Windows XP Home on my computer. They had removed this
> > without my permission...Their excuse for doing this was that the modem was
> > virtually useless because the XP Home with SP2 rendered it
> > incompatible??????? And that most ISP's don't even recognize them
> > anymore????? This from the very same computer shop who sold me a computer
> > with a pirated version of XP...
> >
> > What should I do about this?
>
> The modem may still be installed in your computer. They may simply be
> incompetent and didn't install the driver for it.
>
> Kerry

August 21, 2005 3:46:09 AM

Don't return to that particular repair shop ever again!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Newbie_Donna" wrote:

| I'm probably going to sound like a newbie, but here goes.....The computer
| shop recently formatted my computer and installed Windows XP Home with SP2,
| anyway when I got my computer back I was missing a modem which according to a
| printout I had done previously was a HSP56 MR. I called this shop to ask
| them why they had removed this modem when all that was asked of them was to
| format and install Windows XP Home on my computer. They had removed this
| without my permission...Their excuse for doing this was that the modem was
| virtually useless because the XP Home with SP2 rendered it
| incompatible??????? And that most ISP's don't even recognize them
| anymore????? This from the very same computer shop who sold me a computer
| with a pirated version of XP...
|
| What should I do about this?
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:19:21 AM

"Newbie_Donna" <Newbie_Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm probably going to sound like a newbie, but here goes.....The computer
> shop recently formatted my computer and installed Windows XP Home with
> SP2,
> anyway when I got my computer back I was missing a modem which according
> to a
> printout I had done previously was a HSP56 MR. I called this shop to ask
> them why they had removed this modem when all that was asked of them was
> format and install Windows XP Home on my computer. They had removed this
> without my permission...Their excuse for doing this was that the modem was
> virtually useless because the XP Home with SP2 rendered it
> incompatible??????? And that most ISP's don't even recognize them
> anymore????? This from the very same computer shop who sold me a computer
> with a pirated version of XP...
>
> What should I do about this?

Geez. I repair computers, and I'm scrupulous about giving back dead parts; I
can't imagine just ripping parts out of a computer and keeping them. Even if
they couldn't get the modem to work, they should have at least given it back
to you -- how do they know you don't have another computer where you can use
that part?

The crazy thing is that modems are so darned cheap, there's no reason a shop
would "steal" one. It's not like they're getting away with much. Maybe they
couldn't figure out how to get it to work, and this was their stupid
solution.

If you're up to a confrontation, go back and demand that you get your modem
back or that you get a new, working modem to replace it.

I don't know how the local police would respond to something like this, but
they took something from you that they didn't have permission to take. Maybe
it could be defined as theft. And if you paid them for a legal copy of
Windows before, but they sold you an illegal one, that's another case of ...
something.

Police, small claims court, Microsoft Antipiracy...you can raise all sorts
of trouble for these guys. Te BBB is pretty useless, but go ahead and report
there, too.

These are the kind of places that make people nervous about getting a
computer repaired. And for some reason, people tend to let these places get
away with it, where they'd raise a fuss elsewhere. I mean, if you got your
car worked on, and they kept your tires, I think you'd get a little crazy
about it.

You got ripped off by this place. Twice. Go get 'em! Tell everyone they're
crooks. Don't go back there for repairs, just get the parts and software
they owe you. Small claims court is easy... (can you tell that this sort of
thing really irritates me?)
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:39:06 AM

Is the modem card still there?

Look at the back of your computer. Is there a line in and a line out for a
phone hookup. If not then call the local police, file a report and press
charges. Sounds like you have been nailed by the same tactic used by auto
repair shops for years. It is illegal to take it out without your
permission. If they did bet you they have already sold is as a new card to
someone else. If they ripped you off once, why did you go back? I hope you
have reported the pirated version of XP to Microsoft. These kind of repair
shops need to be out of business. Hope you will stand up and help put them
down.

"old" devildog
-- Simper Fi --
--------------------------------
"Newbie_Donna" <Newbie_Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I'm probably going to sound like a newbie, but here goes.....The computer
| shop recently formatted my computer and installed Windows XP Home with
SP2,
| anyway when I got my computer back I was missing a modem which according
to a
| printout I had done previously was a HSP56 MR. I called this shop to ask
| them why they had removed this modem when all that was asked of them was
| format and install Windows XP Home on my computer. They had removed this
| without my permission...Their excuse for doing this was that the modem was
| virtually useless because the XP Home with SP2 rendered it
| incompatible??????? And that most ISP's don't even recognize them
| anymore????? This from the very same computer shop who sold me a computer
| with a pirated version of XP...
|
| What should I do about this?
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 10:28:54 AM

"Newbie_Donna" <Newbie_Donna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm probably going to sound like a newbie, but here goes.....The computer
> shop recently formatted my computer and installed Windows XP Home with
> SP2,
> anyway when I got my computer back I was missing a modem which according
> to a
> printout I had done previously was a HSP56 MR. I called this shop to ask
> them why they had removed this modem when all that was asked of them was
> format and install Windows XP Home on my computer. They had removed this
> without my permission...Their excuse for doing this was that the modem was
> virtually useless because the XP Home with SP2 rendered it
> incompatible??????? And that most ISP's don't even recognize them
> anymore????? This from the very same computer shop who sold me a computer
> with a pirated version of XP...
>
> What should I do about this?

1. I assume the 'Computer Shop' has returned the modem to you. While I
am not familiar with the particular modem I would be very surprised if it
does not 'work' with WINXP SP2. It is likely there are suitable modem
drivers.
2. You need a 'dial up type' modem if you ever want to send a fax. I
assume you connect to the net via either a cable or ADSL modem.
3. Insist the 'Computer Shop' refit the modem.
4. If they 'sold/provided' you with a pirated version of WINXP, either
use this a leverage to get them to 'fix your machine and/or report them to
Microsoft. The ethical course is to report them to
Microsoft. Microsoft will investigate and, I understand, will provide you
with a legitimate copy of WINXP or sell you a legitimate copy at a greatly
reduced price.
5. Report the 'shop' to the Better Business Bureau although my experience
of this organization is it is absolutely useless.
6. If the 'Computer Shop' will not cooperate you could consider the
small claims court.
7. If you do not want to go through the 'hassle of dealing with 'Computer
Shop' refitting the modem is very simple and likely well within your
expertise. There is plenty of guidance on the net (use Google).
8. With regards to 'cleaning' up your machine, this is a separate topic
and you should post a particular question on that. You will get all the
assistance you require.
!