I have split an 80mb C drive into 2 partitions; the new partition (E) is a
Logical drive.
There are 2 other Dell created partions which are also Primary ones. This
means there are now 4 primary partitions which means that Norton Ghost
cannot create an image (it creates its own temporary primary 'environment'
and I understand you can't have more than 4 Primary partitions.
The newly created extended partion is a primary; surely it doesn't need to
be but I can't see any way of preventing it. I'm using PartitionMagic which
might be the problem. Machine is a Dimension 2400 running XP Home SP2. Its
for an elderly (but keen!) relative and I would like to put an image on the
new partition. I have managed to create one on an external drive once I had
removed the extended partition.
Any advice?

Chris Curtis

Your E: partition is within an Extended partition which is always a primary
partition. You can have 10 logical partitions within the Extended partition
if you wish but only 4 primary partitions total.

Use Ghost (which version?) to image your C: drive to the E: drive. Ghost
doesn't need to create another partition.

Brian

"Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have split an 80mb C drive into 2 partitions; the new partition (E) is a
>Logical drive.
> There are 2 other Dell created partions which are also Primary ones. This
> means there are now 4 primary partitions which means that Norton Ghost
> cannot create an image (it creates its own temporary primary 'environment'
> and I understand you can't have more than 4 Primary partitions.
> The newly created extended partion is a primary; surely it doesn't need to
> be but I can't see any way of preventing it. I'm using PartitionMagic
> which might be the problem. Machine is a Dimension 2400 running XP Home
> SP2. Its for an elderly (but keen!) relative and I would like to put an
> image on the new partition. I have managed to create one on an external
> drive once I had removed the extended partition.
> Any advice?
>
> Chris Curtis

Thanks Brian.
But Ghost does need to create a Virtual Partition.
Using Ghost 2003 I get the message 'Unable to find a free MBR slot in the
Virtual partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary
partition slots left on the boot disk'.
If an extended partion is always a primary one that would explain
it.PpartitionMagic reports this as being the case where as the Disk
Management utility in XP doesn't!
I suppose the easy solution is to delete one of the Dell partitions!

Chris

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Your E: partition is within an Extended partition which is always a
> primary partition. You can have 10 logical partitions within the Extended
> partition if you wish but only 4 primary partitions total.
>
> Use Ghost (which version?) to image your C: drive to the E: drive. Ghost
> doesn't need to create another partition.
>
> Brian
>

> "Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I have split an 80mb C drive into 2 partitions; the new partition (E) is a
>>Logical drive.
>> There are 2 other Dell created partions which are also Primary ones. This
>> means there are now 4 primary partitions which means that Norton Ghost
>> cannot create an image (it creates its own temporary primary
>> 'environment' and I understand you can't have more than 4 Primary
>> partitions.
>> The newly created extended partion is a primary; surely it doesn't need
>> to be but I can't see any way of preventing it. I'm using PartitionMagic
>> which might be the problem. Machine is a Dimension 2400 running XP Home
>> SP2. Its for an elderly (but keen!) relative and I would like to put an
>> image on the new partition. I have managed to create one on an external
>> drive once I had removed the extended partition.
>> Any advice?
>>
>> Chris Curtis

Sounds a strange error message to me Chris but I haven't use a pre Ghost 9
version for a few years. Have a look at this, it's for Ghost 2003.

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1.htm

I really doubt you need an extra partition. Out of interest you could try
this free imaging prog. It will image from C to E.

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

The prog works for a few weeks. It's just an experiment. I wouldn't like to
restore an image with it although using it inside BartPE is easy.

> Thanks Brian.
> But Ghost does need to create a Virtual Partition.
> Using Ghost 2003 I get the message 'Unable to find a free MBR slot in the
> Virtual partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary
> partition slots left on the boot disk'.
> If an extended partion is always a primary one that would explain
> it.PpartitionMagic reports this as being the case where as the Disk
> Management utility in XP doesn't!
> I suppose the easy solution is to delete one of the Dell partitions!
>
> Chris
>
> "Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Your E: partition is within an Extended partition which is always a
>> primary partition. You can have 10 logical partitions within the Extended
>> partition if you wish but only 4 primary partitions total.
>>
>> Use Ghost (which version?) to image your C: drive to the E: drive. Ghost
>> doesn't need to create another partition.
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> "Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I have split an 80mb C drive into 2 partitions; the new partition (E) is
>>>a Logical drive.
>>> There are 2 other Dell created partions which are also Primary ones.
>>> This means there are now 4 primary partitions which means that Norton
>>> Ghost cannot create an image (it creates its own temporary primary
>>> 'environment' and I understand you can't have more than 4 Primary
>>> partitions.
>>> The newly created extended partion is a primary; surely it doesn't need
>>> to be but I can't see any way of preventing it. I'm using PartitionMagic
>>> which might be the problem. Machine is a Dimension 2400 running XP Home
>>> SP2. Its for an elderly (but keen!) relative and I would like to put an
>>> image on the new partition. I have managed to create one on an external
>>> drive once I had removed the extended partition.
>>> Any advice?
>>>
>>> Chris Curtis

You need to copy and paste the link or add = after the url.

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Aha
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2002092013301225?OpenDocument&Click=

You can get around that problem with the Ghost floppy.

Brian

"

Brian

Which, of course is precisely why I was posting earlier last week about the
absence of a floppy drive in the machine and whether a USB device was
bootable!!
However, the floppy kit from Dell arrived about an hour ago so will try it
later today.

Just to make sure we are on the same wavelength I'm not creating the extra
partion so Ghost can work but so it has somewhere other than the active
partition to save it to!

Regards
Chris

"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Aha
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/pfdocs/2002092013301225?OpenDocument&Click=

You can get around that problem with the Ghost floppy.

Brian

"Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks Brian.
> But Ghost does need to create a Virtual Partition.
> Using Ghost 2003 I get the message 'Unable to find a free MBR slot in the
> Virtual partition DLL. This is usually due to there being no free primary
> partition slots left on the boot disk'.
> If an extended partion is always a primary one that would explain
> it.PpartitionMagic reports this as being the case where as the Disk
> Management utility in XP doesn't!
> I suppose the easy solution is to delete one of the Dell partitions!
>
> Chris

Agree.

I'm glad I have a floppy drive. Ghost 9 boots from the CD but I still need a
floppy to load SATA drivers. They aren't on the Ghost CD. BartPE now has
SATA drivers on the CD.

Brian

..

> Just to make sure we are on the same wavelength I'm not creating the extra
> partion so Ghost can work but so it has somewhere other than the active
> partition to save it to!

I deleted both Dell partitions.

"> I suppose the easy solution is to delete one of the Dell partitions!

OK. All is now well!
Took about 2 minutes to install the floppy kit (bl***y rip off) and the
ghost boot floppy works fine.
I would have removed the Dell partitions if it had been my machine. Funnily
enough I think one of them contains a ghost image!!

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Chris

Chris, I just recalled that Ghost 8 can be run from the BartPE bootable CD.
Although I don't have 4 primary partitions to test this, I'll bet it doesn't
produce that error message. Just a thought for the next person without a
floppy drive.

> Chris, I just recalled that Ghost 8 can be run from the BartPE bootable
> CD. Although I don't have 4 primary partitions to test this, I'll bet it
> doesn't produce that error message. Just a thought for the next person
> without a floppy drive.
>
> Brian
>

> "Chris Curtis" <nospam@nildram.co.uk> wrote in message
>> OK. All is now well!
>> Took about 2 minutes to install the floppy kit (bl***y rip off) and the
>> ghost boot floppy works fine.
>> I would have removed the Dell partitions if it had been my machine.
>> Funnily enough I think one of them contains a ghost image!!
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>
>> Regards
>> Chris

Thanks Brian!
Mind you the floppy route is working just fine now!

Chris