Camera Wizard - Problem with image file names

XP SP2

The file names that are given to the images downloaded from my camera are
difficult to manage, but I am probably not using the wizard in the best way.

I would like file names to be unique in the MAIN Folder hierarchy. The
folder system I use is -:

Main Folder
001
Sub folder a
Sub folder b
002
Sub folder c
Sub folder d
etc

Currently I select say Sub folder a, set the group name to 001 and select
the required images. Although the names created are unique in the sub folder
, they are not usually unique in 001 or 002 etc.

The name is not really important but uniquness is.

I half suspect that the Digiclip.dcz file might be used to provide the next
unique name. What is it for? I wondered if I use a dump folder to download
the images and then move them from there to the required folder, whether
even though the dump would be empty each time a new set of images are
downloaded, the next unique file name might be maintained?

Stephen
2 answers Last reply
More about camera wizard problem image file names

    Try some of the third-party photo album programs, such as
    IRFANVIEW or Adobe Photoshop Album to better manage you
    naming issue. Both are free.

    some support

    "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in
    message news:uqcZS0ipFHA.3064@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | XP SP2
    |
    | The file names that are given to the images downloaded
    from my camera are
    | difficult to manage, but I am probably not using the
    wizard in the best way.

    | I would like file names to be unique in the MAIN Folder
    hierarchy. The
    | folder system I use is -:
    |
    | Main Folder
    | 001
    | Sub folder a
    | Sub folder b
    | 002
    | Sub folder c
    | Sub folder d
    | etc
    |
    | Currently I select say Sub folder a, set the group name to
    001 and select
    | the required images. Although the names created are unique
    in the sub folder
    | , they are not usually unique in 001 or 002 etc.
    |
    | The name is not really important but uniquness is.
    |
    | I half suspect that the Digiclip.dcz file might be used to
    provide the next
    | unique name. What is it for? I wondered if I use a dump
    folder to download
    | the images and then move them from there to the required
    folder, whether
    | even though the dump would be empty each time a new set of
    images are
    | downloaded, the next unique file name might be maintained?
    |
    | Stephen

    OK, Thanks

    Stephen

Cameras Microsoft Windows XP