DVD-ROM quit working (Dim 8300 Win XP)

MrSparkle

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005

All,
Upon insterting a disk into the DVD ROM, (HL-DT-ST_DVD-ROM_GDR8162) proceeds
to try to read it...it doesn't spin...and I can hear a few clicks and muted
squeaks as it tries to access the disk...then quits (Tried many kinds of
media, commercial DVD, DVD-R, Commercial CD-ROM, CD-R's .....nada).

Unfortunately, I can't pinpoint the time it stopped working, since I have 2
optical drives (other is a DVD/CD record combo),my use of the machine hasn't
been hampered
Drive shows up on Device Manager all fine and dandy, I have tried to
uninstall and reinstall. Drive is currently in the uninstall state, and I
insert a disk and it makes the same noises. Drive is about a year and half
old.

I think its a physical problem with the drive rather than a
software/hardware issue with XP...I popped open the top of the drive and
tried to blow dust etc out. Could a shard of paper or something be blocking
the lens tracking of the drive?

TIA
Dan

"MrSparkle" <mrsparkle@one.net> wrote in message
> All,
> Upon insterting a disk into the DVD ROM, (HL-DT-ST_DVD-ROM_GDR8162)
> proceeds to try to read it...it doesn't spin...and I can hear a few clicks
> and muted squeaks as it tries to access the disk...then quits (Tried many
> kinds of media, commercial DVD, DVD-R, Commercial CD-ROM, CD-R's
> .....nada).
>
> Unfortunately, I can't pinpoint the time it stopped working, since I have
> 2 optical drives (other is a DVD/CD record combo),my use of the machine
> hasn't been hampered
> Drive shows up on Device Manager all fine and dandy, I have tried to
> uninstall and reinstall. Drive is currently in the uninstall state, and I
> insert a disk and it makes the same noises. Drive is about a year and half
> old.
>
> I think its a physical problem with the drive rather than a
> software/hardware issue with XP...I popped open the top of the drive and
> tried to blow dust etc out. Could a shard of paper or something be
> blocking the lens tracking of the drive?
>
> TIA
> Dan

Believe it or not, opticals drive failures are pretty common. As
inexpensive as they are (other than DVD+-RW drives), they are nearly a
throwaway item.

Why not place readable media in both optical drives (and your floppy if you
have one) and run the extended diagnostics on the system, or just the
specific diags on the drives?

F12 at boot, go to the utility partition and follow the instructions....

Stew

MrSparkle wrote:
> All,
> Upon insterting a disk into the DVD ROM, (HL-DT-ST_DVD-ROM_GDR8162) proceeds
> to try to read it...it doesn't spin...and I can hear a few clicks and muted
> squeaks as it tries to access the disk...then quits (Tried many kinds of
> media, commercial DVD, DVD-R, Commercial CD-ROM, CD-R's .....nada).
>
> Unfortunately, I can't pinpoint the time it stopped working, since I have 2
> optical drives (other is a DVD/CD record combo),my use of the machine hasn't
> been hampered
> Drive shows up on Device Manager all fine and dandy, I have tried to
> uninstall and reinstall. Drive is currently in the uninstall state, and I
> insert a disk and it makes the same noises. Drive is about a year and half
> old.
>
> I think its a physical problem with the drive rather than a
> software/hardware issue with XP...I popped open the top of the drive and
> tried to blow dust etc out. Could a shard of paper or something be blocking
> the lens tracking of the drive?
>
> TIA
> Dan

I agree with the other poster. Out of all of the hardware that I have
owned over the years, optical drives are the ones that usually up and
quit. Unless you are still within your warranty period with Dell, I
would simply toss the drive and put another one into the system.
DVD-ROM's from newegg are running about $25. In my opinion, the best
deal at newegg right now is the NEC ND-3520A DVD dual format, dual layer
16x burner. These can be had for about $65. I have two of these drives
(one is slightly older 3500, and a new 3520) and both drives are simply
excellent. Hope this helps.