Reinstalling Windows

salacious

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hey guys I'm having some trouble reinstalling windows 7 on my computer. I have made a boot disk which I know works because I used it to install windows on my girlfriends laptop and my brothers computer earlier today. However when I try to install it on my computer it won't boot, instead I get an error message saying CDBOOT: couldn't find BOOTMGR or something similar.

I thought maybe my computer just didn't like the disc so I made a bootable USB drive and when I try to use that it ignores it and goes straight through to loading windows from my hard drive. I haven't tested the USB drive on another computer yet though so I'm not 100% sure that it works.

I recently upgraded my motherboard RAM and CPU too I wonder if that has anything to do with the issue.
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Intel i7 3770

I know me cd drive works too because thats the drive I used when I originally installed windows. I can boot the disc while the system is running but I'm not sure if installing windows while the system is running is the same as booting it straight from the disc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jemm

Distinguished
Intel says it is illegal to install its OS in more than one computer unless you have a license for that.

Anyway upgrading motherboard RAM and CPU has nothing to do with OS, which is located at the HDD/SSD. It should boot even with different mobo ram n cpu.

Yes, you can install the OS while the system is running -- it´ll install a new OS, but there will be a new folder, with your old OS installation.

salacious

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012

Is the installation of windows while the system is running the same as when you boot it straight from the disk through the bios? Because thats how I have done it for the moment but I noticed that my SSD (which I installed to) has like 40 gigs used with a new installation and this is after deleting the old windows folder...