merging partitions which both have win xp installed

long a go i partitioned the drive when i first installed win xp. C: was
already win98se and i thot i'd keep it around a while just in case., i
had the dual boot workin' fine. but whenever i checked in on ol' win98
i got the error message about...whatever. i didnt care cause i never
did have a case wher i needed it. so i just always booted to the
winxp, which was the second partitioned, named E: and i figuerd one day
i would just lose that win98 and make the whole drive winxp. the
occassion arose when E: winxp wouldnt boot, error: corrupted system
file.
it seemed like a "good day to die" so i loaded win xp (pro) into that
first partition, C:,and it just fit but with little room to spare. in
fact,not enough to do anything, including loading antivirus. i acn
still read everything on the E: logical partition, but i dont get to
boot from there. i have a couple big eexternal HDD's oneon that
machine, the desktype machine (250GB) and one on the laptop (400GB)
which runs win xp.

i can resort to moving things around, probably having to re-install a
lot, but i have tried re-sizing the C: and E:,using Partition Magic
(8.0) to no avail. it makes no changes. i've tried enlarging C: to use
up the unused space in E:. when i re-boot,nothing has changed. tried
merging the partitions, error is differnt cluster sizes, one is 2k, the
other 4k. have tried to change the cluster sizes both ways. still no
change.

any help on this will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Delete the E: partition, then enlarge C:.
The enlarge operation needs unformatted space, not unused space.
--
Ron Sommer

On 21 Aug 2005 02:27:18 -0700, "sam.i.am" <sam.bruskin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> long a go i partitioned the drive when i first installed win xp. C: was
> already win98se and i thot i'd keep it around a while just in case., i
> had the dual boot workin' fine. but whenever i checked in on ol' win98
> i got the error message about...whatever. i didnt care cause i never
> did have a case wher i needed it. so i just always booted to the
> winxp, which was the second partitioned, named E: and i figuerd one day
> i would just lose that win98 and make the whole drive winxp. the
> occassion arose when E: winxp wouldnt boot, error: corrupted system
> file.
> it seemed like a "good day to die" so i loaded win xp (pro) into that
> first partition, C:,and it just fit but with little room to spare. in
> fact,not enough to do anything, including loading antivirus. i acn
> still read everything on the E: logical partition, but i dont get to
> boot from there. i have a couple big eexternal HDD's oneon that
> machine, the desktype machine (250GB) and one on the laptop (400GB)
> which runs win xp.
>
> i can resort to moving things around, probably having to re-install a
> lot, but i have tried re-sizing the C: and E:,using Partition Magic
> (8.0) to no avail. it makes no changes. i've tried enlarging C: to use
> up the unused space in E:. when i re-boot,nothing has changed. tried
> merging the partitions, error is differnt cluster sizes, one is 2k, the
> other 4k. have tried to change the cluster sizes both ways. still no
> change.
>
> any help on this will be greatly appreciated. TIA

1) As long as you have 2 Operating Systems on your HD, you will be
UNABLE to merge the partitions (non-destructively) using Partition
Magic (or any other Microsoft or third-party tool.) (XP and W9 both
have their system code in the "\\Windows" folder, unless you installed
XP into a home folder different than "\\Windows". Such a merge would
create massive confusion in the Registry, probably fatal.
2) Make sure you are using a version of Partition Magic GREATER than
7.x, since PM versions below 8.x do not properly handle XP's version
of NTFS (now 5.1).
3) Make sure you have free, UNPARTITIONED space on your HD before
attempting to use Partition Magic to merge partitions. PM needs
scratch space to perform the merge. If it doesnt find enough free
space on the HD, the "Merge" operation will fail.

With such a huge HD, why you created a System Partition so small is
beyond me. XP needs a LOT OF ROOM, unlike Windows 98, which can run
easily in a 200mb partition. I would make sure your System Partition
is AT LEAST 10gb. The more space the better.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that conversations may be kept in order

dl

Time to start afresh,
Backup all data to your external hd's
Boot from winxp cd, delete partitions, create new/format/install etc
You will need to install mobo chipset drivers for xp and hw drivers.
Use manu.web site drivers only NOT winupdate drivers