Compatible Vs OEM canon ink cartridges

silverstein

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Have always used Canon OEM ink cartridges for my PIXMA IP8500 with good results, compatible cartridge prices are awfully tempting. Should I succumb?

Al S

I just did that on the black ink for my MP470 - it printed a perfect pattern on the test clean. I used item number RFKIT-AJ400BK from SHOP4TECH. It took a few minutes to drill the refill hole and about 10 minutes to refill the cartridge (until no bubbles). I also got the color refill, but it looks more challenging - will have to drill 3 holes in the cartridge.

Texasblue

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

I used compatible cartridges for a long time and then found out that they did not contain the cleaning chemicals necessary to keep my print head healthy. Had to buy new print heads and now I only use OEM ink in my Canon printers.

- JEM

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I have a Pixma MP270 and still have the original cartridges but will need replacing soon. I don't want any problems so I will buy Cannon carts. Like JEM said, don't want to have to replace other parts of the printer later to save a few $$ now.
Dave

Linchpin44

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
We used compatible cartridges (Canon i560) for awhile from a seller we thought was reliable. They worked fine -- then in the last batch I ordered problems started. Messy prints, non-true colors (orange for yellow, etc.). I noticed that the compatibles cartridges did not quite have the same configuration as the oem cartridges, not quite the same size and even the ports were off size. I think the seller started getting sloppy, using cartridges that were just a little off.

"compatable" cartridges can work fine for a while, but can also cause serious problems because the are in no way the same as the manufacturers ink. They can dry out fast, produce wrong colours, block print heads, etc. If you want reliable prints use the manufacturers ink, i know its more expensive, there is a reason for that.