Programs of my previous XP Pro

Hi guys
i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not any
more in my Add-Remove programs.
These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!
8 answers Last reply
More about programs previous

    If you did a clean format/install, there are no registry entries for the
    previous programs. In this scenario I am assuming that you had installed
    programs on another partition. If you had installed them on the Windows
    partition, they would have been gone with the new installation. If this is
    the case, just delete the program folder from the other partition.

    If you did a repair install, all of the programs should have stayed where
    they were, and still be usable. I suspect that you tried the repair install,
    but because your system was so screwed up to begin with, the repair install
    falls short of the ideal solution.

    Now try a new format/install. Start from scratch as if it were a new
    computer with a blank hard drive. Reinstall all of the programs you feel you
    need on this new system.

    Have fun!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    > i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
    > able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
    > previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
    > unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
    > any
    > more in my Add-Remove programs.
    > These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!

    Hi

    The reason why most if not all of those aren't working is because you now
    have a new Registry and the old associations have been lost. Those programs
    will have to either be re-installed or re-installed/uninstalled.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi guys
    > i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
    > able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
    > previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
    > unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
    > any
    > more in my Add-Remove programs.
    > These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!

    Yes i'm ready to uninstall those programs but how they are not in my
    Add-Remove Progams any more.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > The reason why most if not all of those aren't working is because you now
    > have a new Registry and the old associations have been lost. Those programs
    > will have to either be re-installed or re-installed/uninstalled.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi guys
    > > i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
    > > able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
    > > previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
    > > unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
    > > any
    > > more in my Add-Remove programs.
    > > These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!

    Is there not any program that can re-associate my old programs with new
    registries.

    Hi

    What were the problems you were having before you re-installed XP?

    Did 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael Stevens:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    > Yes i'm ready to uninstall those programs but how they are not in my
    > Add-Remove Progams any more.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> The reason why most if not all of those aren't working is because you now
    >> have a new Registry and the old associations have been lost. Those
    >> programs
    >> will have to either be re-installed or re-installed/uninstalled.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi guys
    >> > i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was
    >> > not
    >> > able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of
    >> > my
    >> > previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
    >> > unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
    >> > any
    >> > more in my Add-Remove programs.
    >> > These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!

    Well, i just don't want to remind that bad time of my life, there so many
    troubles some big ones like my system partion was screwed up, rundll32.exe
    was missing and some more. Nothing worked i tried every thing.
    well what done is done, right now i'm dealing with new problem. what can i
    do about that?

    Jatinder wrote:

    > Is there not any program that can re-associate my old programs with new
    > registries.

    No there isn't.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Hi

    If you 'Repair' installed XP as per Michael's article, all the settings,
    programs and files should have been left in place.

    --

    > Well, i just don't want to remind that bad time of my life, there so many
    > troubles some big ones like my system partion was screwed up, rundll32.exe
    > was missing and some more. Nothing worked i tried every thing.
    > well what done is done, right now i'm dealing with new problem. what can i
    > do about that?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What were the problems you were having before you re-installed XP?
    >>
    >> Did 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael Stevens:

Microsoft Windows XP