Programs of my previous XP Pro

August 21, 2005 7:51:06 AM

Hi guys
i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not any
more in my Add-Remove programs.
These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!

More about : programs previous pro

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:17:00 PM

If you did a clean format/install, there are no registry entries for the
previous programs. In this scenario I am assuming that you had installed
programs on another partition. If you had installed them on the Windows
partition, they would have been gone with the new installation. If this is
the case, just delete the program folder from the other partition.

If you did a repair install, all of the programs should have stayed where
they were, and still be usable. I suspect that you tried the repair install,
but because your system was so screwed up to begin with, the repair install
falls short of the ideal solution.

Now try a new format/install. Start from scratch as if it were a new
computer with a blank hard drive. Reinstall all of the programs you feel you
need on this new system.

Have fun!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys
> i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
> able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
> previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
> unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
> any
> more in my Add-Remove programs.
> These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:03:02 PM

Hi

The reason why most if not all of those aren't working is because you now
have a new Registry and the old associations have been lost. Those programs
will have to either be re-installed or re-installed/uninstalled.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys
> i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
> able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
> previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
> unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
> any
> more in my Add-Remove programs.
> These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!
August 21, 2005 4:03:03 PM

Yes i'm ready to uninstall those programs but how they are not in my
Add-Remove Progams any more.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The reason why most if not all of those aren't working is because you now
> have a new Registry and the old associations have been lost. Those programs
> will have to either be re-installed or re-installed/uninstalled.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi guys
> > i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was not
> > able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of my
> > previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
> > unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
> > any
> > more in my Add-Remove programs.
> > These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:03:04 PM

Is there not any program that can re-associate my old programs with new
registries.
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:17:44 PM

Hi

What were the problems you were having before you re-installed XP?

Did 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael Stevens:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

> Yes i'm ready to uninstall those programs but how they are not in my
> Add-Remove Progams any more.
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> The reason why most if not all of those aren't working is because you now
>> have a new Registry and the old associations have been lost. Those
>> programs
>> will have to either be re-installed or re-installed/uninstalled.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Jatinder" <Jatinder@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi guys
>> > i reinstalled my XP Pro over my old Xp Pro due to some problems i was
>> > not
>> > able to fix. Any how, now in my new XP Pro im unable to run Programs of
>> > my
>> > previous XP. Is there a way to run those programs if not then how can i
>> > unistall those progrmas that is also a another problem coz they are not
>> > any
>> > more in my Add-Remove programs.
>> > These microsofts registeries will make me crazy one day!

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:17:45 PM

Well, i just don't want to remind that bad time of my life, there so many
troubles some big ones like my system partion was screwed up, rundll32.exe
was missing and some more. Nothing worked i tried every thing.
well what done is done, right now i'm dealing with new problem. what can i
do about that?

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> What were the problems you were having before you re-installed XP?
>
> Did 'Repair' install XP as in the following article by Michael Stevens:
August 21, 2005 4:53:54 PM

Jatinder wrote:

> Is there not any program that can re-associate my old programs with new
> registries.

No there isn't.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi

If you 'Repair' installed XP as per Michael's article, all the settings,
programs and files should have been left in place.

--

!