  • Hard Drives
  • Software
  • Windows XP
August 21, 2005 9:30:09 AM

Hi,

I have bought the new, bigger HDD than the old one, and I want to transfer
complete operating system (winxp) from the old one to the new one. How can I
do that without installing again winxp and all programs that I installed in
my old HDD? Is there some free software or plug in?

Sinclair

More about : copy winxp hdd

August 21, 2005 11:14:25 AM

Sinclair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have bought the new, bigger HDD than the old one, and I want to
> transfer
> complete operating system (winxp) from the old one to the new one.
> How can I do that without installing again winxp and all programs that
> I installed in my old HDD? Is there some free software or plug in?
>
> Sinclair

If you bought the hard drive retail, it will have come with a cd. On
that cd is a utility that will do exactly what you want. If you bought
whitebox or the drive didn't come with the utility, you can download it
from the drive mftr.'s website.

Basically, you will connect the new drive in your computer as Slave,
leaving the original drive in as Master. Then boot with the utility and
follow the directions to copy the original drive to the new one. After
the utility is finished, you will remove the original drive and replace
it with the new one, changing the new one's jumpering to Master. If you
want to keep your original drive for storage, jumper it to Slave and
you will be able to format it from within Windows (Administrative
Tools>Computer Management).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"=?Utf-8?B?U2luY2xhaXI=?=" <Sinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I have bought the new, bigger HDD than the old one, and I want to
> transfer complete operating system (winxp) from the old one to the new
> one. How can I do that without installing again winxp and all
> programs that I installed in my old HDD? Is there some free software
> or plug in?
>
> Sinclair

typically a new HD will come with a utility to do that. if it wasn't
included, look at the mfg's website.
Related resources
August 21, 2005 1:27:23 PM

In news:0A38818B-AD83-4EDC-9D36-630F5F3E6534@microsoft.com,
Sinclair <Sinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi,
>
> I have bought the new, bigger HDD than the old one, and I want to
> transfer complete operating system (winxp) from the old one to the
> new one. How can I do that without installing again winxp and all
> programs that I installed in my old HDD? Is there some free software
> or plug in?
>
> Sinclair

You could always slave the old one and use it as an additional drive or, if
you want to do what you're doing you can use this:

clone maxx® :
http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 2:08:40 PM

You need a program that will copy/image your old hard drive. Two of the best
are Ghost 9 and True Image 8. Not free, though they both work fine at doing
what they are supposed to do.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Sinclair" <Sinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have bought the new, bigger HDD than the old one, and I want to transfer
> complete operating system (winxp) from the old one to the new one. How
> can I
> do that without installing again winxp and all programs that I installed
> in
> my old HDD? Is there some free software or plug in?
>
> Sinclair
August 21, 2005 4:31:37 PM

Sinclair wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have bought the new, bigger HDD than the old one, and I want to transfer
> complete operating system (winxp) from the old one to the new one. How can I
> do that without installing again winxp and all programs that I installed in
> my old HDD? Is there some free software or plug in?
>
> Sinclair

To add to what others have said, after using the utility to clone the
old drive to the new, remove the old drive from the system, install the
new drive as Master on IDE1 and set the jumpers correctly. Disconnect
any zip drives and other peripherals, and boot with only the new drive
in the system. After that you can install the old drive as slave drive.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?U2luY2xhaXI=?= wrote:

> I have bought the new, bigger HDD than the old one, and I want to transfer
> complete operating system (winxp) from the old one to the new one. How can I
> do that without installing again winxp and all programs that I installed in
> my old HDD? Is there some free software or plug in?

xxclone, free

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
!