Can't locate IP address when trying to install DSL

When trying to install DSL, I get a message that the IP address cannot be
located. I called Dell and they say that it is a software issue so it's
Microsoft's problem. Microsoft says that since the software was installed on
the computer when we bought it, it's Dell's problem.
Please, can anyone help me try to figure out why the IP address cannot be
located and then how to locate it and to get DSL on my computer. I have
disabled my virus protection and firewall.
I'm using Windows XP Professional and have a Dell Dimension 8300.
Thank you.

Malke

solly wrote:

> When trying to install DSL, I get a message that the IP address cannot
> be
> located. I called Dell and they say that it is a software issue so
> it's Microsoft's problem. Microsoft says that since the software was
> installed on the computer when we bought it, it's Dell's problem.
> Please, can anyone help me try to figure out why the IP address cannot
> be
> located and then how to locate it and to get DSL on my computer. I
> have disabled my virus protection and firewall.
> I'm using Windows XP Professional and have a Dell Dimension 8300.
> Thank you.

What did you get when you ordered the DSL? Usually you will get a DSL
kit that includes the DSL modem, some filters for your phone lines, a
DSL cable (flat grey/silver one), an ethernet cable (round), and a cd.
If you got something like this, you need to start by putting in the cd.
Follow all directions carefully, including when you plug in the DSL
modem to the power. Setting up DSL has nothing to do with Microsoft or
Dell, which is why you couldn't get help from either of those
companies.

If you need more help, then post back with exactly what you got with
your DSL order and what you did.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Actually you'll want to get in touch with your ISP about the correct NIC
settings. Generally DHCP assigned should work. Check Event Viewer for
errors. Also check Device Manager for error codes and or non-starting
devices.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"solly" wrote:
| When trying to install DSL, I get a message that the IP address cannot be
| located. I called Dell and they say that it is a software issue so it's
| Microsoft's problem. Microsoft says that since the software was installed
on
| the computer when we bought it, it's Dell's problem.
| Please, can anyone help me try to figure out why the IP address cannot be
| located and then how to locate it and to get DSL on my computer. I have
| disabled my virus protection and firewall.
| I'm using Windows XP Professional and have a Dell Dimension 8300.
| Thank you.

I did that and Verizon was able to remotely change my settings so that I
could connect but as soon as they logged off everything reverted back to the
original settings and I get the "RPC server is unavailable message." They
said I should reinstall XP but I have too much to lose. Is there anyway I
can just fix the networking part of XP.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Actually you'll want to get in touch with your ISP about the correct NIC
> settings. Generally DHCP assigned should work. Check Event Viewer for
> errors. Also check Device Manager for error codes and or non-starting
> devices.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "solly" wrote:
> | When trying to install DSL, I get a message that the IP address cannot be
> | located. I called Dell and they say that it is a software issue so it's
> | Microsoft's problem. Microsoft says that since the software was installed
> on
> | the computer when we bought it, it's Dell's problem.
> | Please, can anyone help me try to figure out why the IP address cannot be
> | located and then how to locate it and to get DSL on my computer. I have
> | disabled my virus protection and firewall.
> | I'm using Windows XP Professional and have a Dell Dimension 8300.
> | Thank you.

Check Event Viewer for errors. When you view the logged events in Event
Viewer (double-click them in the right-hand pane) in the upper right corner,
third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of
a reply message.

Please do so for each of the different System Log events (that are a Type:
'Error' or 'Warning') since last boot so we can see all of the event detail.

"solly" wrote:
|I did that and Verizon was able to remotely change my settings so that I
| could connect but as soon as they logged off everything reverted back to
the
| original settings and I get the "RPC server is unavailable message." They
| said I should reinstall XP but I have too much to lose. Is there anyway I
| can just fix the networking part of XP.

I have to leave the house for awhile so I won't be able to do that for about
2 hours. I'll do all of that when I get back. Thank you so much for your
help. It helps to reduce the frustration level.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Check Event Viewer for errors. When you view the logged events in Event
> Viewer (double-click them in the right-hand pane) in the upper right corner,
> third button down is a copy to clipboard, then you can paste in the body of
> a reply message.
>
> Please do so for each of the different System Log events (that are a Type:
> 'Error' or 'Warning') since last boot so we can see all of the event detail.
>
> Also check Device Manager for error codes and or non-starting devices.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "solly" wrote:
> |I did that and Verizon was able to remotely change my settings so that I
> | could connect but as soon as they logged off everything reverted back to
> the
> | original settings and I get the "RPC server is unavailable message." They
> | said I should reinstall XP but I have too much to lose. Is there anyway I
> | can just fix the networking part of XP.

Turn the firewall back ON.

Connect the DSL modem to your phone line and the modem to
the computer. It should be a CAT 5 cable with an RJ45
connector (looks like a bigger phone snap-in connector) and
then...
Open IE/Tools/Internet Options/ connections tab...click
setup...
This will open the wizard which will prompt you for the
required info to setup the connection.

You will be setting the dial-up modem to either never dial
or only dial when a connection is not present. You will be
connecting using the LAN setting and IP addresses will be
detected automatically using DHCP.

some support

"solly" <solly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When trying to install DSL, I get a message that the IP
address cannot be
| located. I called Dell and they say that it is a software
issue so it's
| Microsoft's problem. Microsoft says that since the
software was installed on
| the computer when we bought it, it's Dell's problem.
| Please, can anyone help me try to figure out why the IP
address cannot be
| located and then how to locate it and to get DSL on my
computer. I have
| disabled my virus protection and firewall.
| I'm using Windows XP Professional and have a Dell
Dimension 8300.
| Thank you.

No problem. I should be around.

--

"solly" wrote:
|I have to leave the house for awhile so I won't be able to do that for
about
| 2 hours. I'll do all of that when I get back. Thank you so much for your
| help. It helps to reduce the frustration level.

Thank you for your help. We did all that. Exactly what Verizon told us to
do. We received an error message that the RPC Server is not available.
Verizon can remotely fix things so that we have internet access but as soon
as they log off the remote connection and we try it ourselves, all the
settings revert back to their original setting and we can't access the
internet because the computer IP address cannot be located. Verizon thinks
(as do we) that there may be something wrong with our networking. They said
we should uninstall and then reinstall XP. We don't want to do that. We
have too much to lose. We were hoping to be able to fix the networking
problem.

"Malke" wrote:

> solly wrote:
>
> > When trying to install DSL, I get a message that the IP address cannot
> > be
> > located. I called Dell and they say that it is a software issue so
> > it's Microsoft's problem. Microsoft says that since the software was
> > installed on the computer when we bought it, it's Dell's problem.
> > Please, can anyone help me try to figure out why the IP address cannot
> > be
> > located and then how to locate it and to get DSL on my computer. I
> > have disabled my virus protection and firewall.
> > I'm using Windows XP Professional and have a Dell Dimension 8300.
> > Thank you.
>
> What did you get when you ordered the DSL? Usually you will get a DSL
> kit that includes the DSL modem, some filters for your phone lines, a
> DSL cable (flat grey/silver one), an ethernet cable (round), and a cd.
> If you got something like this, you need to start by putting in the cd.
> Follow all directions carefully, including when you plug in the DSL
> modem to the power. Setting up DSL has nothing to do with Microsoft or
> Dell, which is why you couldn't get help from either of those
> companies.
>
> If you need more help, then post back with exactly what you got with
> your DSL order and what you did.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

solly wrote:

> Thank you for your help. We did all that. Exactly what Verizon told us to
> do. We received an error message that the RPC Server is not available.
> Verizon can remotely fix things so that we have internet access but as soon
> as they log off the remote connection and we try it ourselves, all the
> settings revert back to their original setting and we can't access the
> internet because the computer IP address cannot be located. Verizon thinks
> (as do we) that there may be something wrong with our networking. They said
> we should uninstall and then reinstall XP. We don't want to do that. We
> have too much to lose. We were hoping to be able to fix the networking
> problem.

<snip>

You say you don't want to reinstall because you have too much to loose.
Not sure what that means but hopefully you keep a full and complete
backup of the system because if something goes wrong you will loose it
all. If you have a full backup and the original media for installed
programs then all you have to loose is the time.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

You probably need to do to things - Update your NIC drivers to the
latest version. If it's a Dell it probably uses the Intel PRO 100/VE set
of drivers. I would get them from Intel and not Dell. Afterwards you
need to remove your LAC (Local Area Connection(s)) & keys from
the Registry and reboot. Something in the LAC itself is probably what
is wrong.

> Thank you for your help. We did all that. Exactly what Verizon told us
> do. We received an error message that the RPC Server is not available.
> Verizon can remotely fix things so that we have internet access but as
> soon
> as they log off the remote connection and we try it ourselves, all the
> settings revert back to their original setting and we can't access the
> internet because the computer IP address cannot be located. Verizon
> thinks
> (as do we) that there may be something wrong with our networking. They
> said
> we should uninstall and then reinstall XP. We don't want to do that. We
> have too much to lose. We were hoping to be able to fix the networking
> problem.
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> solly wrote:
>>
>> > When trying to install DSL, I get a message that the IP address cannot
>> > be
>> > located. I called Dell and they say that it is a software issue so
>> > it's Microsoft's problem. Microsoft says that since the software was
>> > installed on the computer when we bought it, it's Dell's problem.
>> > Please, can anyone help me try to figure out why the IP address cannot
>> > be
>> > located and then how to locate it and to get DSL on my computer. I
>> > have disabled my virus protection and firewall.
>> > I'm using Windows XP Professional and have a Dell Dimension 8300.
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> What did you get when you ordered the DSL? Usually you will get a DSL
>> kit that includes the DSL modem, some filters for your phone lines, a
>> DSL cable (flat grey/silver one), an ethernet cable (round), and a cd.
>> If you got something like this, you need to start by putting in the cd.
>> Follow all directions carefully, including when you plug in the DSL
>> modem to the power. Setting up DSL has nothing to do with Microsoft or
>> Dell, which is why you couldn't get help from either of those
>> companies.
>>
>> If you need more help, then post back with exactly what you got with
>> your DSL order and what you did.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

That seems like it might work. I'll make a posting with the results. Thank
you so much.

TRENDING THREADS