Setup Help Needed

dakang

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2003
I got a new power supply for my computer a while back (350W) and a new case. The case came with 7 fans. I connected all the fans together and the harddrive to one of the fan power lines. So from the power supply the wires first go to the cd-rom and fans and then last to the hard drive. Does this matter what order I connect the wires to the power supply to (i.e. bigger things first)? Will this affect the performance of my harddrive? Thanks

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm no electrical engineer, but why on earth would you not just have a PSU header go directly to your hard drive? With a 350 watt you should have an adequate number. At any rate, I expect it will work OK... but 7 fans are a lot!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
700 Mflops in SETI!

cud u explain what score is this? is this a benchmark of some kind?

If it was not for <b><font color=red>C</font color=red></b>, we wud be using <b><font color=blue>BASI, PASAL & OBOL</font color=blue></b>
<b><A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=959979" target="_new">3DMark 03 score - 297 </A> :cool: </b>

sturm

Splendid
I would put the hard drives on one power lead, cd-roms on another, and put the fans on their own power leads. Dont want to take a chance of overloading the one power connector. Plus it will make easier to keep the wires neat and tidy for good airflow.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
MFlops stands for "millions of floating point operations" per second and it's a measure of the calculating horsepower of your computer. My 700 score was at one time I had several machines working on SETI and they added up to 700 MFlops on average. I use a program called SETI SPY to see how fast my rigs are going on SETI and it gives the MFlops number. Now on a single machine, I can just about get 400 MFlops average on my single nForce2 machine... so things have gotten a bit faster since I made that signature line.

Plus, now-a-days I have most of my computers working on the United Devices (Grid.org) distributed computing project.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

TheMASK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2003
Hey, i am running SETI on my home computer too. so i was wondering how to measure MFlops. u mentioned SETI Spy, u know where i cud get it? i think i'll search, but in case u know where u got that from, let me know.

Typically, it takes less than 4 hour on my comp to complete one "data Unit" from SETI.

<b>thinking of a good sig. till then...</b>