Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disk Checker problem

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:02:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Helo There,

Can anyone help me with a disk checker problem? When I select both boxes on
the d.c. page I get a warning about not accessing the files. I know this is
correct and the d.c. should start as soon as I reboot. However I get the
d.c. starting notice when rebooting, and immediately underneath get a "Disk
checking cancelled" underneath that. The computer then reboots without a
disk check. How can I get it to do a disk check? is it possible in DOS?

Thanks.

Trevor

More about : disk checker problem

Anonymous
August 21, 2005 6:02:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Your description is pretty vague but if you get an error something to the
effect "cannot open volume for direct access" There is some system/boot
start device that is reading/writing to the drive before chkdsk can get a
lock on the drive. Some anti-virus applications do this.

You can also run
chkdsk /r
from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP Setup
CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen press F10 or R to repair a Windows
XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
root, %systemroot% or %windir%

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Trevor Evans" wrote:
| Helo There,
|
| Can anyone help me with a disk checker problem? When I select both boxes
on
| the d.c. page I get a warning about not accessing the files. I know this
is
| correct and the d.c. should start as soon as I reboot. However I get the
| d.c. starting notice when rebooting, and immediately underneath get a
"Disk
| checking cancelled" underneath that. The computer then reboots without a
| disk check. How can I get it to do a disk check? is it possible in DOS?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Trevor
|
|
August 21, 2005 7:41:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Dave Patrick wrote:
> Your description is pretty vague but if you get an error something to the
> effect "cannot open volume for direct access" There is some system/boot
> start device that is reading/writing to the drive before chkdsk can get a
> lock on the drive. Some anti-virus applications do this.
>
> You can also run
> chkdsk /r
> from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )
>
> To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP Setup
> CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen press F10 or R to repair a Windows
> XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
> Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
> the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
> computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
> Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
> or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
> in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
> access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
> and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
> you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
> disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
> root, %systemroot% or %windir%
>
Would it be possible ( & easier) for him to run the Error Check utility
in XP under the SAFE Mode??
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:41:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Possibly but it depends on what the problem is. At this point it is really
unknown. The RC isn't difficult.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"EB" wrote:
| Would it be possible ( & easier) for him to run the Error Check utility
| in XP under the SAFE Mode??
March 4, 2009 11:03:46 PM

I've gone round and round with the problem for the last three days and have just now managed to find a work around. In fact I have never been able to run the scandisk ever since I bought my machine in early 2007. The scandisk keeps getting cancelled but I was determined to find a fix hence dedicating the last three days to this.

Personally I think it's something to do with the HP SW that is on the laptop as I have nothing plugged into the machine and it works perfectly once booted up...but I cannot do a scandisk!

The only references I can find is if I have a wireless keyboard/laptop but I don't have any of those.

I have a HP DV2123TU running XP Pro SP3 and I have never been able to run a chkdsk. I always get the message that it has been cancelled with about 5 seconds to go of the countdown timer.

I have tried putting the recovery console on my laptop but I get a BSOD once it tries to start. I think that maybe because I have SP3 but I cannot find anyone that has put the SP3 RC iso on the web.

So out of desperation I thought "what happen if I can change the countdown time so that it starts a chkdsk before it gets halted?"

I Googled and found this great posting:
http://cooltechtrix.blogspot.com/2007/05/reduce-scan-di...

After changing the time it now works!

Phew
hongkongpom
MCP
!