Disk Checker problem

Helo There,

Can anyone help me with a disk checker problem? When I select both boxes on
the d.c. page I get a warning about not accessing the files. I know this is
correct and the d.c. should start as soon as I reboot. However I get the
d.c. starting notice when rebooting, and immediately underneath get a "Disk
checking cancelled" underneath that. The computer then reboots without a
disk check. How can I get it to do a disk check? is it possible in DOS?

Thanks.

Trevor
4 answers Last reply
More about disk checker problem

    Your description is pretty vague but if you get an error something to the
    effect "cannot open volume for direct access" There is some system/boot
    start device that is reading/writing to the drive before chkdsk can get a
    lock on the drive. Some anti-virus applications do this.

    You can also run
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP Setup
    CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen press F10 or R to repair a Windows
    XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick wrote:
    > Your description is pretty vague but if you get an error something to the
    > effect "cannot open volume for direct access" There is some system/boot
    > start device that is reading/writing to the drive before chkdsk can get a
    > lock on the drive. Some anti-virus applications do this.
    >
    > You can also run
    > chkdsk /r
    > from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f )
    >
    > To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP Setup
    > CD-Rom. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen press F10 or R to repair a Windows
    > XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    > Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    > the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    > computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    > Console quits and restarts the computer. Note If the registry is corrupted
    > or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    > in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    > access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    > and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    > you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    > disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    > root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    Would it be possible ( & easier) for him to run the Error Check utility
    in XP under the SAFE Mode??

    Possibly but it depends on what the problem is. At this point it is really
    unknown. The RC isn't difficult.

    --

    "EB" wrote:
    | Would it be possible ( & easier) for him to run the Error Check utility
    | in XP under the SAFE Mode??
  4. I've gone round and round with the problem for the last three days and have just now managed to find a work around. In fact I have never been able to run the scandisk ever since I bought my machine in early 2007. The scandisk keeps getting cancelled but I was determined to find a fix hence dedicating the last three days to this.

    Personally I think it's something to do with the HP SW that is on the laptop as I have nothing plugged into the machine and it works perfectly once booted up...but I cannot do a scandisk!

    The only references I can find is if I have a wireless keyboard/laptop but I don't have any of those.

    I have a HP DV2123TU running XP Pro SP3 and I have never been able to run a chkdsk. I always get the message that it has been cancelled with about 5 seconds to go of the countdown timer.

    I have tried putting the recovery console on my laptop but I get a BSOD once it tries to start. I think that maybe because I have SP3 but I cannot find anyone that has put the SP3 RC iso on the web.

    So out of desperation I thought "what happen if I can change the countdown time so that it starts a chkdsk before it gets halted?"

    I Googled and found this great posting:
    http://cooltechtrix.blogspot.com/2007/05/reduce-scan-disk-check-time-delay.html

    After changing the time it now works!

    Phew