Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

nokia 6225 modem for the T3 PLEASE PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 6:44:27 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I am hoping that someone can give me some insight into linking my
phone with my tungsten 3. I have found some great info on
Sprintpcsinfo and sprintusers. recently Dennispg posted a
initialization string that allows the the nokia 6225 to link to
Windows XP PCs by infrared.
here is the link
http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45021...
here is the string
at+crm=2;+cso=33<cr>at$qcmip=1

I know it's doing something because my phone starts to connect, then
it times out.
A couple of times i was able to get T3 to test the configuration as a
phone link. It says that that the dial speed is wrong. ?? usually it
times out with
error 0x1212

I don't think that it is the login, the rule for #777 is blank
username, and blank password.

anyway, I looking for some ideas from the palm side. please use small
words and simple phrases.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 5:28:03 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 4 Nov 2004 15:44:27 -0800, cinnamngrl had this to say...


> I am hoping that someone can give me some insight into linking my
> phone with my tungsten 3. I have found some great info on
> Sprintpcsinfo and sprintusers. recently Dennispg posted a
> initialization string that allows the the nokia 6225 to link to
> Windows XP PCs by infrared.
> here is the link
> http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45021...
> here is the string
> at+crm=2;+cso=33<cr>at$qcmip=1
>
> I know it's doing something because my phone starts to connect, then
> it times out.
> A couple of times i was able to get T3 to test the configuration as a
> phone link. It says that that the dial speed is wrong. ?? usually it
> times out with
> error 0x1212
>
> I don't think that it is the login, the rule for #777 is blank
> username, and blank password.
>
> anyway, I looking for some ideas from the palm side. please use small
> words and simple phrases.
>

<http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/palmos/ErrorCode...;
0x1212 = netErrTimeout

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 7:44:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I got it to connect! I tried this log in script i found searching other forums

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=c...ome.com&rnum=10

from blahzaY2K on alt.cellular.clearnet


> > script as follows:
> >
> > Send #777
> > Send CR
> > Delay 4
> > End

So then it says that it's connected.

But the browsing software doesn't work. It says:

DNS lookup timed out.
Please check coverage,
and try again. [Comm.
8]

This is the message exactly as it appears on my T3
Related resources
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 11:57:00 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Laughter and tears--- Tungsten 3 connected!
I got it to connect! I tried this log in script i found searching
other forums

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=c...ome.com&rnum=10

from blahzaY2K on alt.cellular.clearnet


> > script as follows:
> >
> > Send #777
> > Send CR
> > Delay 4
> > End

So then it says that it's connected.

But the browsing software doesn't work. It says:

DNS lookup timed out.
Please check coverage,
and try again. [Comm.
8]


What does this mean? when I set the speed at 115,200 bps my phone
shuts down. This scares me I have tried use my phone as a modem on
my xp through the cable with no dice. I just thought I might learn
something about the DNS. What is DNS again?

Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bf4a11f5a0e35d9898e9@news.frontiernet.net>...
> On 4 Nov 2004 15:44:27 -0800, cinnamngrl had this to say...
>
>
> > I am hoping that someone can give me some insight into linking my
> > phone with my tungsten 3. I have found some great info on
> > Sprintpcsinfo and sprintusers. recently Dennispg posted a
> > initialization string that allows the the nokia 6225 to link to
> > Windows XP PCs by infrared.
> > here is the link
> > http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45021...
> > here is the string
> > at+crm=2;+cso=33<cr>at$qcmip=1
> >
> > I know it's doing something because my phone starts to connect, then
> > it times out.
> > A couple of times i was able to get T3 to test the configuration as a
> > phone link. It says that that the dial speed is wrong. ?? usually it
> > times out with
> > error 0x1212
> >
> > I don't think that it is the login, the rule for #777 is blank
> > username, and blank password.
> >
> > anyway, I looking for some ideas from the palm side. please use small
> > words and simple phrases.
> >
>
> <http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/palmos/ErrorCode...;
> 0x1212 = netErrTimeout
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 1:44:56 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

cinnamngrl wrote:
> Laughter and tears--- Tungsten 3 connected!
> I got it to connect! I tried this log in script i found searching
> other forums
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=c...ome.com&rnum=10
>
> from blahzaY2K on alt.cellular.clearnet
>
>
>
>>>script as follows:
>>>
>>>Send #777
>>>Send CR
>>>Delay 4
>>>End
>
>
> So then it says that it's connected.
>
> But the browsing software doesn't work. It says:
>
> DNS lookup timed out.
> Please check coverage,
> and try again. [Comm.
> 8]
>
>
> What does this mean? when I set the speed at 115,200 bps my phone
> shuts down. This scares me I have tried use my phone as a modem on
> my xp through the cable with no dice. I just thought I might learn
> something about the DNS. What is DNS again?
>
> Jim Anderson <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message news:<MPG.1bf4a11f5a0e35d9898e9@news.frontiernet.net>...
>
>>On 4 Nov 2004 15:44:27 -0800, cinnamngrl had this to say...
>>
>>
>>
>>>I am hoping that someone can give me some insight into linking my
>>>phone with my tungsten 3. I have found some great info on
>>>Sprintpcsinfo and sprintusers. recently Dennispg posted a
>>>initialization string that allows the the nokia 6225 to link to
>>>Windows XP PCs by infrared.
>>>here is the link
>>>http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45021...
>>>here is the string
>>>at+crm=2;+cso=33<cr>at$qcmip=1
>>>
>>>I know it's doing something because my phone starts to connect, then
>>>it times out.
>>>A couple of times i was able to get T3 to test the configuration as a
>>>phone link. It says that that the dial speed is wrong. ?? usually it
>>>times out with
>>>error 0x1212
>>>
>>>I don't think that it is the login, the rule for #777 is blank
>>>username, and blank password.
>>>
>>>anyway, I looking for some ideas from the palm side. please use small
>>>words and simple phrases.
>>>
>>
>><http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/palmos/ErrorCode...;
>>0x1212 = netErrTimeout

That script works on Verizon's network witch has DCHP that sets the DNS
for you if you configured your Palm that way.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:18:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

So is there a different script for sprintpcs? I have posted this
question on sprintpcsinfo and sprintusers, with not much response
except to agree that my palm can't learn the dns.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 12:44:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <24d928fe.0411070857.64147c55@posting.google.com>, cinnamngrl wrote:
> But the browsing software doesn't work. It says:
>
> DNS lookup timed out.

DNS means "Domain Name System". It's the system that looks up names like
"www.google.com" and turns them into the numeric addresses like "192.168.0.1"
that computers understand.

You need to talk to a DNS server that'll do those lookups, or else you have
to know the numeric IP address of all the sites you visit. When you connect,
there's supposed to be some negotiation that tells your Palm what DNS server(s)
to use, but apparently that's not happening.

One possible solution is to 'hardwire' the DNS server. That is, if you dig
into the Network Setup, you'll see a checkbox called "Query DNS". (This
means, "Ask the ISP what DNS server to use".) Uncheck that box, and you'll
see two fields where you can enter the numeric addresses of up to two DNS
servers.

You'll need to find out what the IP addresses of the DNS servers are;
hopefully Sprint or one of their users can tell you.

I've got a Nokia 6225 myself, but I don't have Vision service for it.
I followed the other directions and managed to get to the point where
the phone asks if it should really connect or not; I told it no, not
wanting to pay the fees. Should you manage to get it working, I'd
appreciate hearing about it.

--

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Windows is easy to learn, but hard to use. Linux is
hard to learn, but easy to use." - Anonymous
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:52:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

THANK YOU EVERYONE!
I have finally been able to surf on my palm through my pcs phone. of
course my webpro is a little cranky, and the versamail isn't getting
anything but life is a process. Here is the configuration that I used.
I hope that I given credit where credit is due. Thankyou everyone you
took the time to comment.

I have Tungsten 3 with OS 5.1.2 and a Nokia 6225
I opened my Preferences
I opened Connections
In Available Connections I selected Standard GSM phone and tapped New
I renamed the connection sprint
these are the settings I made
Connect to: Phone
Via: infrared
Model: Standard GSM

Then I tapped Details
In the Details screen I set the speed at 38,400 bps
I replace the Init String with
at+crm=2;+cso=33<cr>at$qcmip=1
(do yourself a favor and save this in memo on your palm so that you
can cut and paste)
then Exit Connection
Open Network
tap New
I named the service PCS
Leave user name blank
Leave password blank
Set the connection to your newly created nokia 6225 connect (which I
named sprint)
set the phone: to #777
( in this screen Phone: is phone number)
Tap details
In the Details screen
Set Connection type to PPP
I set Idle timeout to Never
I checked query DNS
I checked IP address to Automatic
Tap Script
In Log in Script
(ok so I have no idea what log script is, but what you do is tap the
first command and change the left side to proper command then write in
the right side. when change the last command away from end, it will
add an end command to the end of the script. -- if anyone has a better
way to explain login script to newbies please weigh in)
Send: at#777
Send CR
Delay: 4
End:

Exit Login Script
Exit Details
Make sure that your phone is on and the infrared is on
Place your phone and palm so that the Ir ports can connect
Tap the box that says Connect on your Palm

This is magic time. This is what i see on my Palm
The Service Connect Box pops up
It says Dialing PCS (whatever you named your sprint network) with
picture of a phone
It says Signing On with a picture of a book
It says Established with a picture of a hand shake
The connect box is changed to say Disconnect

This is what I see on my phone

Before you begin the infrared indicator should be blinking
when you tap connect the infra indicator stops blinking
then the screen goes white and says Connecting. there is a blue bar
underneath that scrolls the color back and forth ( I suppose to
illustrate the connection process)
Then you get another white sceen that shows

Sending:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Receiving
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The phone screen goes back to regular screen with a steady infrared
indicator.

when you disconnect the sending receiving screen will return and then
there will be a screen that says

Data Call ended.

open the web applications on your palm and enjoy. Set the options to
reflect the correct network and connection so that you can dial in
quickly when you get kicked off ( which will happen often enough).

thank dennispg, thankyou everybody! please suggest better ways to
explain these steps if can. please suggest good palm websites.


For whatever reason, when I added the at to the send #777, DNS stopped
being a problem. Thank you everyone that noticed and commented.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 3:23:51 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 11-Nov-2004, cinnamongrl7@hotmail.com (cinnamngrl) Flushed this thought from
his brain to the screen::

> In Log in Script
> (ok so I have no idea what log script is, but what you do is tap the
> first command and change the left side to proper command then write in
> the right side. when change the last command away from end, it will
> add an end command to the end of the script. -- if anyone has a better
> way to explain login script to newbies please weigh in)

A "Login Script" is a macro (a recorded group of keystrokes) that takes the
place of you sitting at your keyboard and punching in the required information
to log into your ISP. In the "old days" with our 300/1200 baud modems, comm
programs that had "login macros" were a blessing! You just set them to record
everything the remote system threw at you, and your responses (i.e. "User Name:
myname, Password: mypassword) you saved it, and from then on just a click of a
button logged you in to Delphi, Aol 1.0, Compuserve, Genie, or whatever...

> Send: at#777
> Send CR
> Delay: 4
> End:

You're scripts says to "Send the following text: at#777 ('at' is the
"Attention" command for a modem)
"Send a Carriage Return (the return or "Enter" key)
"Wait for 4 seconds"
End (Quit the script and return control to you)

WyreNut


--
If you had to ~run~ for your life, how long would you live?
!