Dead hard drive in HP latop

Status
Not open for further replies.

odel555q

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
Hello all-

A co-worker of mine has an HP Pavilion zd7000 laptop (probably 4-5 years old) and the hard drive has failed. The drive is listed in the BIOS as Toshiba MK4025GAS-(pm). I don't have any experience with laptop hardware so I could use a little guidance.

Where can I find a replacement hard drive that will work in this computer? The only drives I can find online with that model number are all refurbished but I would prefer to get something new. I don't care what brand it is, I have no particular preference for Toshiba. I can find tons of SATA drives for laptops but I believe this is an IDE drive. Can someone point me to where I can pick up a replacement drive?

Thanks in advance.

G

I suspect you could install any IDE laptop drive of a similar capacity. But to avoid the possibility of problems I would stick with an identical model. Trouble is IDE is getting old now, so secondhand drives are probably your only choice.

Given that this is now an old computer, a refurbished drive will probably outlast the laptop's usefulness anyway.

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
Best way to find your answer is to open up the laptop and see what hard drive is installed in there. My guess is that it's a 2.5 in sata hard drive that's connected with a convertor..

should be easy to find a 2.5 laptop hd that fits his price range.

make sure you got an antistatic strap and google instructions on how to get to the hd of that laptop. (Most times, it's rather easy to get to it and involves taking a screw or two off)

Status
Not open for further replies.