Jason555

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
this probably comes up a lot. but I am doing some reasearch and am going to build a computer. I am woundering if I should go with a Pentium 4 2.8 processor or one of the Athlon XP processors. probably the 3000 or 2800 with the barton core. the athlon is cheaper but I would like this to last a few years with out having to upgrade. the pintium also has the 800 fsb and hyper threading. bassically I am woundering if the pintium is worth the extra money.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
well, that actually depends on how often you upgrade. I'm currently writing on a P3 550Mhz, and it's fine; other people would already have upgraded...

Also, if you consider the 2.8C P4, you might upgrade later to Prescott. A nice CPU-only upgrade, since current mobos are ready for Prescott. (now I know you said no upgrades, but it's nice to know all possibilities)

Aidanoridania

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Also, if you consider the 2.8C P4, you might upgrade later to Prescott. A nice CPU-only upgrade, since current mobos are ready for Prescott. (now I know you said no upgrades, but it's nice to know all possibilities)
Well to be honest i have done the same i bought a les fast CPU and i wait till the end of the 533 mhz CPU so at the end an upgrade to the max will cost less then a state of the art comp and most of all: if ever one CPU would fail, you still have one in replacement...

the reason of this thought is the following: if you buy now the fastest processor you pay too much for it, and in the time of 1 year it's already half the price, after two years or even less those high end calculating beasts are then just the "step-in" models, and by buying two of those ones, you don't pay as much as an overcosting high end chip Just watch the possibilities, and choose the CPU for it's best value (intel or the AMD equivalent, what you need is the most important)...

I'm currently writing on a P3 550Mhz, and it's fine
i know, i blame myself for having given away my p3 500 mhz... :frown:

<font color=purple><i> Enosi and I.... </i></font color=purple>

P3 550Mhz I'm still buzzing along with my AMD Athlon 500 Mhz. Soon going to Intel 2.4c. My next upgrade will be a lot sooner than the last one. Looks like where are still using old Tech. I wonder how mant people still have the old stuff we're still using.

Jason555

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
thanks for the advice. I like the idea of getting a processor that will do the job at the best cost now, and getting a nice Motherboard that will allow a processor upgrade later on in the futre. so if I go AMD I was thinking the Asus A7NX8 and if I go Pentium I was thinking the Asus P4P800. will eather of these MB's allow me to upgrade my CPU in the future. to possible the AMD 64 or the new pentium one. if not do you know of a good MB that would allow this.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
intel mobos will accept the 1st generation of Prescott, until new "pinless" socket is introduced.

AMD mobos will not be compatible with A64 when it arrives, since A64 will debut a new socket.

At least, that's my understanding....

What?

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Your understanding is correct. The 1st generation of the next Pentium core will be supported by current mobos, including P4P800.

Also, AMD will be introducing a new socket indeed. Current mobos are a dead end for upgrades.

TRENDING THREADS