iNCOMPATABILITy?

N00CH

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
I just bough midnight club 2 for pc, and everything works up until i actually start to race, as soon as it get's to that screen it works kinda like when the old school nintendo had some dust in the game and you had to blow in it, well it's like that, so i was wonderin if it might be my hardware/software because i took the other copy back and got a new one and it does the same. So here's my system and you guys let me know if you have any ideas...amd anthlon xp 2200+, sb audigy, radeon 9700 pro, asus a7n8x deluxe, plexwriter cd rw. and i guess that's it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aidanoridania

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
this might be the cause: (i'm not sure but it could be)

you got the "economy disease" :)

i will explain this a bit better :smile:

the biggest trouble that exists is the fact that you have an AMD CPU... (strange but true) and the root of your trouble might be there... in fact a game is compiled from machine code, and it depends of which compiler the game manufacturer did use...

Unfortunately, the software in general is always compiled for "intel familly CPU's", with then an extra compile pack for the istructions of an AMD CPU. So it results in the fact that some games might hang on an AMD system (this has nothing to do with the system but in that case with the software that has not been compiled properly for the instruction set of the AMD CPU...

what you can do about it? i'm affraid nothing

To see if this is correct, you can ask a friend with an intel system to try the game too, and if it works properly there, then i'm affraid that this will be the reason of your trouble

otherwise it can be that you got a wind(bl)ows problem if other games are installed too (a dll conflict can also cause a system hang)

in fact i think the real cause is software oriented, as on all other apps the config you have runs well

<font color=purple><i> Enosi and I.... </i></font color=purple>

soulprovider

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2003
Check you've got the latest Direct X API installed.
As for compatability with your processor you'll find any game that runs on a Pentium will run on an Athlon, sometimes faster. They are both x86 architecture chips, the only difference being added instructions - OK, the P4 contains some that are not present in the Athlon but vice versa. I would imagine this game would run well on a P3 and the Athlon contains the same instructions as that chip and more.

At the end of the day an API is used in games which makes them compatible with the vast majority of graphics cards and CPU's.

<b>Vorsprung durch Dontwerk</b>.....<i>as they say at VIA</i>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
that is the most retarded answer i have ever heard. you are wrong in so many ways i dont know where to start. nooch, your problem is likely drivers. make sure you got the catalyst drivers from ati. dont use the drivers that came with the card.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Pentium will run on an Athlon, sometimes faster.
Depending on which two CPUs you choose to compare. Generally, as of lately, equivalent ratings are a reasonably good sign that Intel's CPU is faster.

But as to instruction compatibility, there is - theoretically - no such thing. The basic set of instructions is the same. OK, SSE2 is not supported on Athlons, but these are specific instructions that are not a requirement.

Anyway, SSE2-specific compilers (mainly from Intel) are highly effective solutions and give the Pentium platform a boost in speed, but that is about SPEED, not COMPATIBILITY.

N00CH

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2003
jihiggs...thnx for the reply you were correct, it's always the little things that get you. Thnx everyone for your help. DRIVERS DRIVERS DRIVERS!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Aww crap, now I can't get it to run hehe. Gets past the first intro movies for rockstar and all and goes to a menu enter to create new game and esc to go back. Thing looks like it's going in an infinite loop throughthe unused game slots and when I press enter, it won't respond, nor exit- only thing it does recognize is alt+f4.

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
I just bough midnight club 2 for pc, and everything works up until i actually start to race, as soon as it get's to that screen it works kinda like when the old school nintendo had some dust in the game and you had to blow in it, well it's like that, so i was wonderin if it might be my hardware/software because i took the other copy back and got a new one and it does the same. So here's my system and you guys let me know if you have any ideas...amd anthlon xp 2200+, sb audigy, radeon 9700 pro, asus a7n8x deluxe, plexwriter cd rw. and i guess that's it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like user error.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
It could be "Deadlock".

1. AMD might not have the latest Intel 'SSE' code so its stuck on the line and using a slow latency process such as Video, like when the race starts with the increased detail.

2. The AMD could result in cache processes with the Video object being heavily requested during race start.

3. The video updates could be non retreivable because the other racers at start have not moved yet.

Call this a wild guess.

Maverick494

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
Nach this is not an Intel/AMD issue. The only thing that AMD doesn't support is SSE2 and the programmers of a game are not stupid enough to shoot themselves in the foot and make it SSE2 compatible only. I know you are an Intel Fanboi, but please try and help without making it into an intel/amd issue or you will get flamed and quickly. Also why restate what I have already stated about a patch? or did you not read the whole thread?

Just a computer junky

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
I feel like a dumbass la la la la la. It was my farking joystick, that's the second time it's caused problems- first time was in GTA Vice City when the camera was all screwy. That game doesn't look as....nice as I had expected it to, but it does let u drive a rice car:)

All the things I really like to do are either illegal, immoral, or fattening.