TECH: STTNG Intermittent Cannon Problem

mark

I have an intermittent problem with the left cannon, maybe someone has
some ideas? It works fine most of the time, but sometimes just stops
in mid swing (after the ball has left it). It never returns home again
and so doesn't get used again (the game works around it fine). The
only way to get it home is to switch the machine on/off, then it goes
home fine. It can't be the home switch, as obviously that's doing just
fine when the machine resets. Switches look clean. I love these
problems that only happen sometimes! The only messages on r.g.p I can
find relate to cannons never being able to find home (keep swinging
around) which is different to mine.

thanks
Mark

I agree with MacMan... probably your loom.

Pinball Heaven do a great replacement, superior to the original:
http://tinyurl.com/99emm

I fitted them to mine, worth doing even if it isn't the cause of your
problem.

Keith

MacMan

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2004

In article <1120981144.809493.129390@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Mark" <sttng@sunnucks.com> wrote:

> I have an intermittent problem with the left cannon, maybe someone has
> some ideas? It works fine most of the time, but sometimes just stops
> in mid swing (after the ball has left it). It never returns home again
> and so doesn't get used again (the game works around it fine). The
> only way to get it home is to switch the machine on/off, then it goes
> home fine. It can't be the home switch, as obviously that's doing just
> fine when the machine resets. Switches look clean. I love these
> problems that only happen sometimes! The only messages on r.g.p I can
> find relate to cannons never being able to find home (keep swinging
> around) which is different to mine.
>
> thanks
> Mark

Lets see if I can get two in one go... Good to see Lloyd sleeps
sometimes.

Chance are good the looms which run up through the cannon are dodgy.
Same problem as you would have seen in your post but the wire has not
seperated far enough and still makes some contact. Search the archives
for who sells these.

Clean the optos while you are at it and put it in switch test. A flaky
opto can cause strange behaviour as well.

Actually... try cleaning the optos first you might save a purchase, but
the looms will eventually go.

Cheers
MacMan