IT me or all mobo on I865 or 875 it crappy

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
As i have sold my old Willi and working now on a AMD K6-2 and a new computer coming soon i was looking at mobo feature and damm is was not able to get 1 mothers that file my need.

1 i was looking for ASUS in 1 place or abit.
2 i dont want extra feature that no one use i dont need firewire i dont need a 8 channel SATA in any case to do what plug 16 HDD just the onboards raid from intel will be ok and it allready got Raid 0 and 1 wich is for me ok and also 99.9 of the useur with also native port unlike the rest of the onboard that use PCI bus.

3 i want a canterwood i want the CSA bus with the intel pro 100/1000.I think that a good feature and this can be useful some will not need i sure but they make a bus just for that so better use it.Also this feature come only on Canterwood.So ok i make my chose to maybe settle with normal 10/100.Also i really dont plan on buy a new sound card as intergrade play most and are digital and surround and bla bla i dont do encoding or else i dont care i just want good qualty for price.

The worse i have see is the ASUS boards a nice 3COM gigabit network card but no CSA bus hello they dont have made this to connect the serial port.

After have look on all board i have made the conclusion they all look apart and feature almost the same feature bye bye innovation.

I guess the abit plain board is th best i found so far.

I dont like french test

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Kind of know what you mean Juin. Have machines with plenty of free PCI slots. Why can't I have a nice plain board and buy the add on features that I want (inexpensively of course). Maybe it is just so much cheaper and better performing if all that stuff is integrated.

Wonder if the PCI-X standard will eventually change things.

The loving are the daring!

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Be careful with the terms PCI-X and PCI Express. I think they're not the same technology.

If I understand everything correctly, PCI-X is currently available for 64-bit machines in server/workstation boards. PCI-Express will debut with Grantsdale and is a desktop feature (still a robust thing, though!).

A PCI-Express preview can be found at <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.html?i=1830&p=1" target="_new">anandtech's</A> site. Note how they never refer to PCI-Express as PCI-X.

<i>Um... actually, I'm not sure about this right now. Can anyone confirm this? Or am I just saying BS here? :tongue: </i>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 07/05/03 11:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
why a plain board USB intergrade sound intergrade lan that is not more.Most have cable or DSL so a lan is need a sound card is not really need any more and USB you will use at lease few time a year but not a 8 usb boards and bla bla i have never use more that 2 usb port never and i dont a person that a have ever use close to half of that.

I dont like french test

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I agree, I've disabled my USB controller because I simply don't use it. I would much rather have Legacy components (PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard, Parallel Printer) as these do not utilise the CPU as much and they always seem to be more compatible and useful to me (e.g cannot access BIOS with USB keyboard).

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>