Closed

Local profiles unavailable loading temp profile

I am runing XP Pro in a standalone mode. I logged on this morning and
received a message I didnt have permissions to my profile so a temp provile
was being created. All local profiles has lost their individual users
permissions (only built-in admin acct had permissions).

I reapplied the permissions for the appropriate users to their profiles and
it work properly again. Is this the result of a viral or errorant Patch. My
mother-in-law called me a few days ago with the same issue I am dont think
this is localized.
7 answers Last reply
More about local profiles unavailable loading temp profile

    Hi,

    If it was the result of a virus or patch, many more people would be having
    this problem than just you and your mother.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ken_Foster_ca" <Ken_Foster_ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am runing XP Pro in a standalone mode. I logged on this morning and
    > received a message I didnt have permissions to my profile so a temp
    > provile
    > was being created. All local profiles has lost their individual users
    > permissions (only built-in admin acct had permissions).
    >
    > I reapplied the permissions for the appropriate users to their profiles
    > and
    > it work properly again. Is this the result of a viral or errorant Patch.
    > My
    > mother-in-law called me a few days ago with the same issue I am dont think
    > this is localized.

    Hey Rick,

    not really a useful thread. I have identifed two incidents in my known
    local area. Some virus are slow to replicate while other may not have
    downloaded a patch I have at this point. If you have any sugestions on why
    this may have happened, I would appreciate that meaningful feedback though.

    Thank-you.

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > If it was the result of a virus or patch, many more people would be having
    > this problem than just you and your mother.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Ken_Foster_ca" <Ken_Foster_ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am runing XP Pro in a standalone mode. I logged on this morning and
    > > received a message I didnt have permissions to my profile so a temp
    > > provile
    > > was being created. All local profiles has lost their individual users
    > > permissions (only built-in admin acct had permissions).
    > >
    > > I reapplied the permissions for the appropriate users to their profiles
    > > and
    > > it work properly again. Is this the result of a viral or errorant Patch.
    > > My
    > > mother-in-law called me a few days ago with the same issue I am dont think
    > > this is localized.

    Error Message: Windows Cannot Load Your Profile Because It May Be Corrupted
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318011

    Create a New User or Restore the User Profile
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318011

    Suggestions:

    Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Locate the
    entries for your hard disks and double click each entry. On the Policies
    tab, uncheck Enable write caching.

    You will see a performance decrease because of this, but if the corrupt
    registry/user profiles problems cease, then you'll be certain of the cause.

    Logon to another account with admin privilege and run System Restore.
    Choose the most recent restore point and SR should restore the user
    hives.

    Or...

    Boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator. Copy ntuser.dat from
    %windir%\repair to "Documents and Settings\[your user id]". Now do a system
    restore to a point in time prior to when the corruption message began to
    appear.

    Or...

    Relocate NTUserdat

    Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and find the profile you want to change and
    then change ProfileImagePath to the ntuser.dat folder that you want to use.
    You must manually copy or move the ntuser.dat file there.

    Corrupt Hive
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    > Hey Rick,
    >
    > not really a useful thread. I have identifed two incidents in my known
    > local area. Some virus are slow to replicate while other may not have
    > downloaded a patch I have at this point. If you have any sugestions on
    > why
    > this may have happened, I would appreciate that meaningful feedback
    > though.
    >
    > Thank-you.
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> If it was the result of a virus or patch, many more people would be
    >> having
    >> this problem than just you and your mother.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Ken_Foster_ca" <Ken_Foster_ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    >> message
    >> >I am runing XP Pro in a standalone mode. I logged on this morning and
    >> > received a message I didnt have permissions to my profile so a temp
    >> > provile
    >> > was being created. All local profiles has lost their individual users
    >> > permissions (only built-in admin acct had permissions).
    >> >
    >> > I reapplied the permissions for the appropriate users to their profiles
    >> > and
    >> > it work properly again. Is this the result of a viral or errorant
    >> > Patch.
    >> > My
    >> > mother-in-law called me a few days ago with the same issue I am dont
    >> > think
    >> > this is localized.

    Thank-you Kelly, I will.

    Ken

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > Error Message: Windows Cannot Load Your Profile Because It May Be Corrupted
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318011
    >
    > Create a New User or Restore the User Profile
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318011
    >
    > Suggestions:
    >
    > Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Locate the
    > entries for your hard disks and double click each entry. On the Policies
    > tab, uncheck Enable write caching.
    >
    > You will see a performance decrease because of this, but if the corrupt
    > registry/user profiles problems cease, then you'll be certain of the cause.
    >
    > Logon to another account with admin privilege and run System Restore.
    > Choose the most recent restore point and SR should restore the user
    > hives.
    >
    > Or...
    >
    > Boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator. Copy ntuser.dat from
    > %windir%\repair to "Documents and Settings\[your user id]". Now do a system
    > restore to a point in time prior to when the corruption message began to
    > appear.
    >
    > Or...
    >
    > Relocate NTUserdat
    >
    > Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and find the profile you want to change and
    > then change ProfileImagePath to the ntuser.dat folder that you want to use.
    > You must manually copy or move the ntuser.dat file there.
    >
    > Corrupt Hive
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
    >
    > How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545
    >
    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Ken_Foster_ca" <KenFosterca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hey Rick,
    > >
    > > not really a useful thread. I have identifed two incidents in my known
    > > local area. Some virus are slow to replicate while other may not have
    > > downloaded a patch I have at this point. If you have any sugestions on
    > > why
    > > this may have happened, I would appreciate that meaningful feedback
    > > though.
    > >
    > > Thank-you.
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> If it was the result of a virus or patch, many more people would be
    > >> having
    > >> this problem than just you and your mother.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Ken_Foster_ca" <Ken_Foster_ca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > >> message

    Most welcome, Ken. Hope all went well. :o)

    --

    > Thank-you Kelly, I will.
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Error Message: Windows Cannot Load Your Profile Because It May Be
    >> Corrupted
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318011
    >>
    >> Create a New User or Restore the User Profile
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q318011
    >>
    >> Suggestions:
    >>
    >> Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Locate
    >> the
    >> entries for your hard disks and double click each entry. On the Policies
    >> tab, uncheck Enable write caching.
    >>
    >> You will see a performance decrease because of this, but if the corrupt
    >> registry/user profiles problems cease, then you'll be certain of the
    >> cause.
    >>
    >> Logon to another account with admin privilege and run System Restore.
    >> Choose the most recent restore point and SR should restore the user
    >> hives.
    >>
    >> Or...
    >>
    >> Boot into safe mode and log in as Administrator. Copy ntuser.dat from
    >> %windir%\repair to "Documents and Settings\[your user id]". Now do a
    >> system
    >> restore to a point in time prior to when the corruption message began to
    >> appear.
    >>
    >> Or...
    >>
    >> Relocate NTUserdat
    >>
    >> Look in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    >> NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList and find the profile you want to change and
    >> then change ProfileImagePath to the ntuser.dat folder that you want to
    >> use.
    >> You must manually copy or move the ntuser.dat file there.
    >>
    >> Corrupt Hive
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
    >>
    >> How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>

    >> "Ken_Foster_ca" <KenFosterca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hey Rick,
    >> >
    >> > not really a useful thread. I have identifed two incidents in my known
    >> > local area. Some virus are slow to replicate while other may not have
    >> > downloaded a patch I have at this point. If you have any sugestions on
    >> > why
    >> > this may have happened, I would appreciate that meaningful feedback
    >> > though.
    >> >
    >> > Thank-you.

  6. A friend had the same problem here in South Korea. Local Koreans wanted to reformat her drive. A quick search online found the answer. It is a Windows Vista issue. It renames the user profile and creates a new profile that is in essence blank. It takes 2 minutes in regedit mode after booting in safe mode to fix the issue. http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/873132.htm has the answer BUT notice he mistypes some instructions on renaming the files. Use common sense. Once you have renamed the correct profile with .bk, you rename the temporary file with .bak and then go back and delete the .bk from the legitimate file. Done. It works

Permissions Microsoft Windows XP