Win 7 - manufacturer CD

mamba238

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
Hello guys,

I have a situation, I recently build a computer and I had all the parts except the OS, a companion gave me a manufacturer disk (Dell) that is Windows 7 professional sp1 ,but the the issue is that I checked in my computer > properties and it says I have 24 days to activate windows. I looked very closely to the description of the disk and it says the follwing, Operating System - Already installed on your computer - reinstallation DVD - Windows 7 professional SP1 64 bit. What can I do? Do I have to buy a another OS? Please need someone's advice.

Solution

No -- an OEM product key (assuming the current install is PRoffessional 64 bit) will be all that is needed at which point you just run the activation wizard again and follow the instructions for changing the key onece it fails the first time and then enter the new key in to finish the activation within the 30 day time limit ( If it takes more than 30 days you can still enter it you just need to reset the activation timer which MS support will help you with if needed !)
The disk you used is an OEM version that is supplied with pre built systems and so the technical answer to your question is YES you need to purchase a new license as the one you used has already been installed on another system and as an OEM version is tied to the MOBO of the system it was originally installed on and dies with that MOBO.

That said at times MS will reactivate the license on a new system if asked -- They are not technically required to as the license per their EULA is expired but many times they will go ahead and reactivate the license for you

So what you should do is try to reactivate the license by running the activation wizard ( go to the start button and type Activate (you will see a listing under the top programs section that says Activate windows -- select it and press enter

It will attempt to activate the license - follow the directions it gives and it will either activate succesfully ( your done ) or fail and ask you to use the phone activation process - iff it fails follow the directions and try the phone process (you enter a sting of numbers into your phone after calling and the computer responds with some numbers to enter into your system -- once done with this it will activate (your done) or ffail again and you will be asked to speak to a CS person - Talk with the CS person and explain what you are doing and they will either give you a new code to enter or tell you you need to purchase a new license. (Again technically the old license dies with the old system so they would be correct in making you buy a new license but many times if you are polite and ask they will give you a new code ( NOTE : they are minimum wage workers that listen to complaints all day so being friendly goes a long ways at times ! -
If they refuse to reactivate you can either purchase a new code or try again with a different CS agent by calling again later )

Some members here will tell you this is not a LEGAL method of obtaining a license but since the CS agent is an employee of MS and the License restrictions do include exceptions for bringing the OEM license to a new system in case of unavailability of a replacement MOBO if the old one is damaged - If you call and ask them to give you a new activation and they agree it is then a validly activated license - so never hurts to try since worst case you just wind up buying a new code within the thirty days and best case they agree to make an exception to their agreement and give you a valid new license for the new system !

No -- an OEM product key (assuming the current install is PRoffessional 64 bit) will be all that is needed at which point you just run the activation wizard again and follow the instructions for changing the key onece it fails the first time and then enter the new key in to finish the activation within the 30 day time limit ( If it takes more than 30 days you can still enter it you just need to reset the activation timer which MS support will help you with if needed !)

Solution