Sign in with
Your question

Gamer buying first LCD monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
May 16, 2010 9:55:09 PM

Hey, guys. I've been using the same CRT monitor since 2000 and I figure it's time to upgrade, reclaim some desk space, and maybe save a little energy at the same time. I have my eye on a few and I'm having trouble making a decision (mostly because these models are almost impossible to find in stores), sooo I'm poking around different forums to see what the general census is.

My budget is anything between $180 to $250 and no less than a 22 inch, though preferably a 24 or better for future video card upgrades. I've narrowed it down to three I found on newegg that have pretty solid reviews for the prices, which are generally more important to me than how a monitor looks on display.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|24-236-052^24-236-052-S01%2C24-236-049^24-236-049-S01%2C24-236-047^24-236-047-S01

It's mostly between the 24 and 25.5 inch. Anyone have experience with any of those models, or are technical-savvy enough to give advice? Or hell, just personal preference would be appreciated.

What about 16:10 vs 16:9 ratio? I generally do gaming and occasionally watch movies. Not a whole lot of desktop work, but having the extra space with the 25.5 inch would be a nice perk if that ever changes.

Also, I have a 8800 GTS and I'm worried about how much my frame rate will suffer without going down from the native resolution and sacrificing picture quality. Though, I plan to get another card sometime within the next two or three months so I could probably just suck it up until then.

Thanks and sorry if the post was a bit long, but I don't have a lot of money and want to make an informed purchase.

Oh, and if anyone wants to suggest a different monitor in that price range, feel free. Those are just the ones I felt were the safest bet to order online.
May 17, 2010 12:50:31 AM

I have the Asus VK246H which is similar to the Asus VW246H, but also has a built-in webcam.

I don't use it very often however, it is suitable for gaming. See my long review, the final post has a more professional review published after my review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/54250-3-asus-vk246h-r...
m
l
May 17, 2010 8:19:26 PM

Thanks, I'll give it a look.

On a side note though, is there anyone here who could make a direct comparison between the VW266H and the VW246H? Either from a practical and technical standpoint, or from personal experience? That'd be a godsend right now.

Oh, and can anyone tell me how significant the difference between 0.272 and 0.287 pixel pitch is?
m
l
!