opening microsoft sites using other browsers and not defau..

August 21, 2005 7:21:28 PM

I was firefox which i find SOO much better then IE. I was kept IE just
in case but set firefox as my default browser. However when i select
links like windows update and many other 'Microsoft' links it always
uses IE. Is there a way to force it to use firefox unless IE is manually
opened?

August 21, 2005 7:21:29 PM

Windows Update will only work with Internet Explorer,
as well as some other Microsoft links. You cannot change
this requirement.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Z" wrote:

| I was firefox which i find SOO much better then IE. I was kept IE just
| in case but set firefox as my default browser. However when i select
| links like windows update and many other 'Microsoft' links it always
| uses IE. Is there a way to force it to use firefox unless IE is manually
| opened?

August 21, 2005 7:21:29 PM

DanS wrote:

> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Even after all of that, Internet Explorer will still open when you
> > need to go to certain Microsoft sites. There is no way around this -
> > as you should know by now.
> >

> can you gove a certain microsoft site that does this ?

Windows Update is the most notable.
Related resources
August 21, 2005 7:21:30 PM

Mozilla Firefox 1.x:
Select "Tools | Options" from the main menu in Firefox.

Change to the "General" tab/section.

Check the "Firefox should check to see if it is the default browser when
starting" option.

Click "OK".

Close all Firefox windows (for best results, restart the system). Finally,
restart Firefox.

When the "Would you like to make [Firefox] your default browser?" prompt
appears, click "Yes" to make Firefox the default browser.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Windows Update will only work with Internet Explorer,
> as well as some other Microsoft links. You cannot change
> this requirement.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Z" wrote:
>
> | I was firefox which i find SOO much better then IE. I was kept IE just
> | in case but set firefox as my default browser. However when i select
> | links like windows update and many other 'Microsoft' links it always
> | uses IE. Is there a way to force it to use firefox unless IE is manually
> | opened?

August 21, 2005 7:21:31 PM

Even after all of that, Internet Explorer will still open when you need to
go to certain Microsoft sites. There is no way around this - as you should
know by now.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Andy" <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Mozilla Firefox 1.x:
> Select "Tools | Options" from the main menu in Firefox.
>
> Change to the "General" tab/section.
>
> Check the "Firefox should check to see if it is the default browser when
> starting" option.
>
> Click "OK".
>
> Close all Firefox windows (for best results, restart the system). Finally,
> restart Firefox.
>
> When the "Would you like to make [Firefox] your default browser?" prompt
> appears, click "Yes" to make Firefox the default browser.

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Windows Update will only work with Internet Explorer,
>> as well as some other Microsoft links. You cannot change
>> this requirement.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP - Shell/User
>> Microsoft Newsgroups

>> "Z" wrote:
>>
>> | I was firefox which i find SOO much better then IE. I was kept IE just
>> | in case but set firefox as my default browser. However when i select
>> | links like windows update and many other 'Microsoft' links it always
>> | uses IE. Is there a way to force it to use firefox unless IE is
>> manually
>> | opened?

August 21, 2005 7:21:32 PM

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Even after all of that, Internet Explorer will still open when you
> need to go to certain Microsoft sites. There is no way around this -
> as you should know by now.

can you gove a certain microsoft site that does this ?

i'd like to try it since i had renamed IEXPLORE.exe months ago, and deleted
it from the prefetch, and haven't been to a M$ page that required IE to
access, other than UPDATE.MICROSOFT.COM that is.

i do admit that i don't go to a MS page THAT frequently, but where I have
been has all been working with Firefox.
August 21, 2005 8:43:10 PM

You will always need IE for Windows update because, among other things,
Windows Update requires you to allow ActiveX. One of Firefox's features is
to not permit ActiveX because of its dangers in taking over your PC, but
Windows Update needs it to install the updates.

So, even if you use Firefox for everything else, as I do, you need IE for
the Updates.

--

Jeff
Jeff@falsepart.com

"Z" <Zankhnax@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I was firefox which i find SOO much better then IE. I was kept IE just in
>case but set firefox as my default browser. However when i select links
>like windows update and many other 'Microsoft' links it always uses IE. Is
>there a way to force it to use firefox unless IE is manually opened?

August 22, 2005 1:19:02 AM

you have to use IE for microsoft site, no other options.

"Jeff" wrote:

> You will always need IE for Windows update because, among other things,
> Windows Update requires you to allow ActiveX. One of Firefox's features is
> to not permit ActiveX because of its dangers in taking over your PC, but
> Windows Update needs it to install the updates.
>
> So, even if you use Firefox for everything else, as I do, you need IE for
> the Updates.
>

> --
>
> Jeff
> Jeff@falsepart.com
>
> "Z" <Zankhnax@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >I was firefox which i find SOO much better then IE. I was kept IE just in
> >case but set firefox as my default browser. However when i select links
> >like windows update and many other 'Microsoft' links it always uses IE. Is
> >there a way to force it to use firefox unless IE is manually opened?

August 22, 2005 4:50:42 PM

Andy wrote:
> you have to use IE for microsoft site, no other options.
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>

>>You will always need IE for Windows update because, among other things,
>>Windows Update requires you to allow ActiveX. One of Firefox's features is
>>to not permit ActiveX because of its dangers in taking over your PC, but
>>Windows Update needs it to install the updates.
>>
>>So, even if you use Firefox for everything else, as I do, you need IE for
>>the Updates.
>>

>>--
>>
>>Jeff
>>Jeff@falsepart.com
>>
>>"Z" <Zankhnax@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I was firefox which i find SOO much better then IE. I was kept IE just in
>>>case but set firefox as my default browser. However when i select links
>>>like windows update and many other 'Microsoft' links it always uses IE. Is
>>>there a way to force it to use firefox unless IE is manually opened?

thanks guys.

I thought as much but wondered if there was a third-party software that
reroute. never mind its not a big deal.

thanks anyway,

Zankhna
!