dell keyboard light off, thus system off

i've got this dimension 8400 and i can't seem to get it to boot up. when i
power it up, it'll go to the menu of operating systems to bootup in and then
the keyboard light goes off and all i'm left to do is power it back down. the
keyboard came with the system and is usb. i have a usb mouse with a
pc-adapter. the system is fully loaded as i spared no expense when i purchased
it; surround sound, 21" monitor, super graphics card, hell of a lot of memory.
it is a shame that i can't even use it at this point. by the way, i have a
broadband connection coming into my house called roadrunner. any ideas?

garrett keel
software upstairs, llc

Have you tried to boot into another OS and do you get the same response?
Your problem could conceivably be an OS configuration problem, although
hardware trouble is also possible. See if you can reinstall your OS from cd.

Paul Riemerman

"Uwmstud2005" <uwmstud2005@aol.com> wrote in message
> i've got this dimension 8400 and i can't seem to get it to boot up. when
> power it up, it'll go to the menu of operating systems to bootup in and
> then
> the keyboard light goes off and all i'm left to do is power it back down.
> the
> keyboard came with the system and is usb. i have a usb mouse with a
> pc-adapter. the system is fully loaded as i spared no expense when i
> purchased
> it; surround sound, 21" monitor, super graphics card, hell of a lot of
> memory.
> it is a shame that i can't even use it at this point. by the way, i have
> broadband connection coming into my house called roadrunner. any ideas?
>
> garrett keel
> software upstairs, llc

Uwmstud2005,
Have you by any chance, changed the USB ports that the keyboard were connected to originally? I had a problem yesterday, because I changed the ports that my mouse was attached to.

I had to place the mouse back in its original USB port, reboot PC. Then go into the Device Manager, and remove the USB Root hub, for that mouse. Need to check the hub's properties to find out which one to remove. Shutdown PC, remove mouse, reconnect to another port, restart XP. The hub will be recreated.

If you want to disconnect an USB printer, and some other USB devices in XP, you need to first use the "Remove Hardware" feature in the taskbar, when the device is on. Then turn off PC, remove connection. The problem is that some devices do not trigger this feature in XP, so you need to do it manually.

--

Have a good day,
Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Paul Riemerman" <parNOT55@tds.net> wrote in message news:41fbb0d9$1_2@newspeer2.tds.net...
Have you tried to boot into another OS and do you get the same response?
Your problem could conceivably be an OS configuration problem, although
hardware trouble is also possible. See if you can reinstall your OS from cd.

Paul Riemerman

"Uwmstud2005" <uwmstud2005@aol.com> wrote in message
> i've got this dimension 8400 and i can't seem to get it to boot up. when
> power it up, it'll go to the menu of operating systems to bootup in and
> then
> the keyboard light goes off and all i'm left to do is power it back down.
> the
> keyboard came with the system and is usb. i have a usb mouse with a
> pc-adapter. the system is fully loaded as i spared no expense when i
> purchased
> it; surround sound, 21" monitor, super graphics card, hell of a lot of
> memory.
> it is a shame that i can't even use it at this point. by the way, i have
> broadband connection coming into my house called roadrunner. any ideas?
>
> garrett keel
> software upstairs, llc

> i've got this dimension 8400 and i can't seem to get it to boot up. when i
> power it up, it'll go to the menu of operating systems to bootup in and then
> the keyboard light goes off and all i'm left to do is power it back down.

Sounds like it could be something to do with the boot menu setup - how
many OSs do you have on there, and have you tried booting from something
like Knoppix (fully bootable linux on a CD)