Found some info out about some wga problems

August 21, 2005 1:27:24 PM

I wish Alex was here. I am not trying to be insensitive here

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

[If a BIOS-locked system is installed to a board where the lock fails,
it enters a normal Activation process at startup. However, beginning 1
March 2005, the Product Key supplied on a label by the computer
manufacturer, and used for the initial installation, will not be
accepted for activation. A new copy of Windows XP, with a license
allowing installation on a different machine, will be needed. This
means that any replacement motherboard (or upgrade to its BIOS) must
be supplied by the original maker, who will ensure the lock is
maintained.]

This explain some of the Wga problems. Also, if you do a repair or
clean install of xp. According to this you won't be able to activate
if using the key on the machine.

If I am understanding Alex correctly. If you have a preinstalled
machine and replace or do anything you going to have to buy another
copy if it request you to reactive or to activate it. (At least my
oem key came way before March 2005)

Greg Ro
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 7:30:14 PM

Hi,

Basically, yes. It is a limitation of the OEM license. You cannot change the
motherboard, or it is determined to be a new or alternate system. The
preinstalled version of Windows comes with the originally installed
motherboard, or manufactured supplied replacement. It is not transferable to
a new or replacement board that is not supplied by the manufacturer of the
system.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/