File Sharing Problem

I have an XP machine connected to a Linksys firewall router, and also
Mcafee personal Firewall Plus. I have setup the drive C: to be shared on
the network. In my computer it shows the hand holding the drive so I
know it is shared. I am unable to reach this computer from any other
computers on the network, but I can reach the others which also have the
same setup from this computer. Any ideas how to get this computer to share?
6 answers Last reply
More about file sharing problem

    Hi,

    Please check the connectivity of that machine, try to ping other machine
    from this machine

    Andy wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Please check the connectivity of that machine, try to ping other machine
    > from this machine
    >

    > "DrJoel" wrote:
    >

    >>I have an XP machine connected to a Linksys firewall router, and also
    >>Mcafee personal Firewall Plus. I have setup the drive C: to be shared on
    >>the network. In my computer it shows the hand holding the drive so I
    >>know it is shared. I am unable to reach this computer from any other
    >>computers on the network, but I can reach the others which also have the
    >>same setup from this computer. Any ideas how to get this computer to share?

    No problem pinging that machine from any place on network.

    In article <Ob4PtwlpFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, DrJoel
    <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I have an XP machine connected to a Linksys firewall router, and also
    >Mcafee personal Firewall Plus. I have setup the drive C: to be shared on
    >the network. In my computer it shows the hand holding the drive so I
    >know it is shared. I am unable to reach this computer from any other
    >computers on the network, but I can reach the others which also have the
    >same setup from this computer. Any ideas how to get this computer to share?

    It's hard to say what's wrong -- we don't know how you're trying to
    reach this computer from the others or what happens when you do it.

    Make sure that the McAfee firewall is configured to allow access by
    other computers on your local area network. If this computer has XP
    Service Pack 2, disable the Windows Firewall and let McAfee be the
    only firewall.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Hi:

    Most likely your problem has to do with your Firewall's. It is recommended
    that you use only one Firewall. Try using only the Windows Firewall in lieu
    of all others and see if your file sharing problems are resolved.

    I had similar file sharing problems and found that Norton's firewall was
    the culprit. I switched back to Windows Firewall and my file sharing
    problems went away.

    Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:
    > In article <Ob4PtwlpFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, DrJoel
    > <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an XP machine connected to a Linksys firewall router, and also
    >>Mcafee personal Firewall Plus. I have setup the drive C: to be shared on
    >>the network. In my computer it shows the hand holding the drive so I
    >>know it is shared. I am unable to reach this computer from any other
    >>computers on the network, but I can reach the others which also have the
    >>same setup from this computer. Any ideas how to get this computer to share?
    >

    > It's hard to say what's wrong -- we don't know how you're trying to
    > reach this computer from the others or what happens when you do it.
    >
    > Make sure that the McAfee firewall is configured to allow access by
    > other computers on your local area network. If this computer has XP
    > Service Pack 2, disable the Windows Firewall and let McAfee be the
    > only firewall.
    Windows fire wall is turned off. It seems to be only one computer that
    doesn't show up on the network as able to share. It does show as a
    computer name on network but when you click on it it says you don't have
    permission to use it.

    DrJoel wrote:

    > Steve Winograd [MVP] wrote:
    >> In article <Ob4PtwlpFHA.3304@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, DrJoel
    >> <joelw135@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an XP machine connected to a Linksys firewall router, and also
    >>>Mcafee personal Firewall Plus. I have setup the drive C: to be shared
    >>>on the network. In my computer it shows the hand holding the drive so
    >>>I know it is shared. I am unable to reach this computer from any
    >>>other computers on the network, but I can reach the others which also
    >>>have the same setup from this computer. Any ideas how to get this
    >>>computer to share?
    >>

    >> It's hard to say what's wrong -- we don't know how you're trying to
    >> reach this computer from the others or what happens when you do it.
    >>
    >> Make sure that the McAfee firewall is configured to allow access by
    >> other computers on your local area network. If this computer has XP
    >> Service Pack 2, disable the Windows Firewall and let McAfee be the
    >> only firewall.
    > Windows fire wall is turned off. It seems to be only one computer that
    > doesn't show up on the network as able to share. It does show as a
    > computer name on network but when you click on it it says you don't
    > have permission to use it.

    1. How many computers on the network? Running what operating systems?
    2. The XP machine that doesn't allow sharing - what version is it, Home
    or Pro? Are the other machines all the same?

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

File Sharing Computers Firewalls Windows XP