Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Movies
  • DVD
  • File Association
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 2, 2010 11:37:18 PM

When I put a DVD movie in my computer, right-click it and choose 'Play', I get the message: "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action."

Until recently, Windows Media Player would play the movie. I suspect the problem has arisen since I installed RealPlayer SP. However, doing a system restore isn't practical.

I can't see how to restore the relevant file association - it's a DVD, so isn't really a file with a suffix. I'm guessing the message is a bit of a red herring.

Any help welcomed. Thanks.

More about : dvd movie file association broken

a b $ Windows 7
April 3, 2010 4:44:47 AM

try: right clicking ---> go to 'open with' ---> 'choose default program'
m
l
April 5, 2010 11:50:56 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had a look, but when I right-click my E: drive (the DVD), there is a 'Play' but no 'Open' or 'Open with' option.

If I go into the Default Programs control panel and select Windows Media Player, it is already set as the default program for all file types it can open.

What I find a bit odd though, is that a DVD drive doesn't have a file extension as such, so I'm not sure I'm looking in the right place by associating programs with file extensions.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 6, 2010 2:32:02 AM

try associating the files ".vob" & ".ifo" w/ whatever media player you want.

if that doesn't work:
You can also try associating it w/ a different program, restarting the PC, and then setting it back to WMP
m
l
May 4, 2010 12:24:00 AM

I'm having the same issue with Win 7 x64. Right click and PLAY on DVD movie and I get the "this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action......." I get the same error when double clicking the DVD movie. Tried two DVD drives, same issue.

DVD movies play fine if I right click and select Autoplay menu. All associations are set correctly. Can't figure this one out. HELP.
m
l
May 9, 2010 10:44:59 PM

Thanks Claykin, that fix worked for me as well. Not sure what caused the problem; I did install RealPlayer relatively recently, but I don't know if that might have affected the registry in some way.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
m
l